Electrical Connector Seperators

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Electrical Connector Seperators

LARIAT 85
Will this tool work for separating the clam-shell like connectors that our trucks use, like the ignition module?  If not, how do you remove the connectors without breaking the tabs?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BVL7LUY/?coliid=I1EJ494LT2U86C&colid=3LFPS7J6089GB&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Electrical Connector Seperators

reamer
Looks like the one on the right would work well, but I think you would need 2 of them.
I usually have to jam 2 small flat blade drivers to get both sides... and still end up breaking a tab....
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
reamer wrote
I usually have to jam 2 small flat blade drivers to get both sides... and still end up breaking a tab....
I also end up breaking a tab when I use small flat blade screwdrivers.  

Is there a better way to do it, without breaking any tabs?
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I always wondered that too.

Then wonder why a connector that you need a come along to pull apart needs a lock tab!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I always go with the small flathead screwdrivers also to help them get over the hump. Unless a sun bleached part I usually have pretty good luck with that approach and rocking them back and forth. Now for a lot of the engine and taillight type connectors that say 'pull apart', once I got over my fear and realized that they really can handle the grab and pull with all your might approach I haven't lost one of those tabs since.
Just make sure your knuckles and elbows have plenty of flying room...
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio