Electric gremlins, kill one two more pop up

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Electric gremlins, kill one two more pop up

BuggTruck
So, i have a slightly above average understanding of electrical. I know generally how to use an electric meter. I installed the radio from scratch. I've spliced in bypass fuses to replace my 30a blower fuse.
But now for this I'm stumped.
My cig plug stopped working. Ground seems good but hot wire has no power (yes, i checked with the key on ). I checked fuses, other grounds and couldn't find any obvious problems. However somehow in that process now my dome lights (and glovebox, floorboard lights) and radio are no longer getting power.
Going to recheck fuses and all connections in the morning. But have i missed something obvious or caused something dumb?
1986 f150 2wd standard cab w/ac 302 5l v8 efi 175,000 miles.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Electric gremlins, kill one two more pop up

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The cigar lighter runs off the same fuse as the horn, so if the horn works the lighter should.  But the connection to the lighter is a push-on arrangement and if you've been working in that area it is easy to knock it off.  And, by the way, these trucks were made in the USofA, and the power is always on to the ligher.  

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Damn, my truck was built in Canada, so maybe my lighter works like my 1961 220Sb did?
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

BuggTruck
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
My horn got stuck on about 3 am last year and i disconnected it and haven't fixed it. My cigarette lighter i replaced 6 months ago. The one that was in there hadn't ever worked and was caked with gunk. Replacement was as you said, plug in screw in easy! However it was only powered with key on. But now has zero power. Its unplugged currently so i could get direct to the wires.
So my cig lighter worked with key on and horn disconnected. The boot ended hot wire goes up behind the dash and into a wrapped bundle of wires.
Rechecking fuses and connections right now.
Reply | Threaded
|

BuggTruck
So...
I missed a burned fuse, i caused a burned fuse and at some point i put a fuse i check back in an empty slot. So...going to pick up fresh fuses and then recheck everything.
Lesson learned, dont try and fix something youre poor at that requires thought after a long stressful day of work.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That happens to me, too.  Glad you found it, and hopefully everything will work with a good fuse.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BuggTruck
Alrighty so on one hand everything seems fixed. Got power running to cig lighter. I could light something on fire if i wanted to. However if i plug my phone in there is an imediate "POP" and the fuse is toast. Now what?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If the cigar lighter works and the charger pops the fuse then there's something wrong with the charger as it should pull far less current than the lighter.  

Have you tried it in another vehicle?  Perhaps it is shorted.  Or maybe its design is such that it shorts in the Bullnose receptacle?

Reply | Threaded
|

BuggTruck
Thank you. The fat stubby one i was using doesnt fit in there properly i discovered ( on the right in the pic). It had actually bent the contact inside the lighter and shorted it. Unbent, new fuse.
The left one fit fine and all is well.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator