EcoBoost 3.5 install

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

EcoBoost 3.5 install

reamer
Anyone tried to put a 3.5 EcoBoost in a Bullnose?
Possible?
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: EcoBoost 3.5 install

85lebaront2
Administrator
It could probably be done, but you would need a running, or previously running, truck with the EcoBoost powertrain as a donor vehicle, one totaled by either being hit in the rear or rolled so that all the front end area is good.

You will need the complete powertrain, radiator, intercooler, all the underhood wiring, computers etc. You will probably have to buy a bypass module for the anti-theft system. Fuel pump, later Ford systems are "returnless" and the fuel pressure is monitored and sent to the computer via a fuel pressure sensor. The pumps are what is called "pulse width modulated" where the computer essentially controls the fuel pressure by how long the power pulses are in relation to the off pulses. 100% is full power, 50% is half power. This allows the computer to control the fuel pressure rather than having a mechanical fuel pressure regulator.

On a forced induction system the delta pressure (fuel pressure over manifold pressure) is maintained at a constant value. An example, my turbocharged Chrysler 2.2L runs 55 psi static or delta pressure, at high vacuum conditions this may drop to 33 psi, under 15 psi boost, it climbs to 70 psi. I believe the EcoBoost engines are direct injection (right into the cylinder) and may run much higher.

Motor mounts would probably have to be custom, easiest way would be to find a way to attach the EcoBoost truck's perches to your frame.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by reamer
Bill's right on all counts.  But it would be a nice engine to have.  I love my 3.5L EB.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
This thread link is for 1965 - 1979 trucks, but may offer food for thought:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1492977-3-5-ecoboost-pretty-much-a-direct-bolt-in-to-any-65-79-truck.html