Eastwood rust converter and rust encapsulator

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Eastwood rust converter and rust encapsulator

Whisler
Anyone have experience with either or both of these products. I need to treat the rust on the back of my frame. Previous engine's rear main seal took care of the front. (continuously applied rust inhibitor)
God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Eastwood rust converter and rust encapsulator

PetesPonies
Use Master Series Silver. I have been using it for 20 years or more now. It is the material you want to use.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
Thanks for the reply. I checked out their website and the MasterSeries Silver looks like a good product. I know that moisture cure urethane is a very tight film.

How is the adhesion over rusty metal? I live in KY and we are part of the rust belt due to salt on the roads in winter. Also this truck was previously used as a plow truck with a salt spreader on the back which makes things worse. I plan on removing as much rust as I can manually but wire brush on a drill will be about the best I can do as I don't have the resources to remove the bed.

I have a new bed being prepped by a friend but his shop is 50 miles away and I would like to treat the frame before I drive down there to install the new bed. We are both old guys and can't work 10-12 hour days like we used to.

Thanks for any  additional info.
God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I can't speak for MasterSeries as I've not used it, but I believe it is pretty much the same as POR15 with respect to adherence to rust.  If you get any loose rust off and the remaining rust is clean a moisture-cure urethane will bond to it forever.  There is no getting it off, at least not mechanically.  In fact, it adheres better to rusty metal than to bare metal.

But you want that rust to be part of the truck, not loose and ready to fall off.  So wire brushing or sanding is good prep.  In fact, the scratch marks from sanding provide extra "tooth" for the paint to adhere to.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
It's all I use for rust (the encapsulator) and have been really happy with it
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by Whisler
I suggest this, because I have been using as I said for so long. I restore professionally. This is my product of choice. If you google me and master series, you will find lot of info to read if you need to do that. Just buy it.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, I mentioned to you before, it is different than POR. I hate POR. Its adhesion is poor. I have seen it peel off in sheets. Master Series is moisture cured like POR, but Master Series Silver is not the same product as POR.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
Thanks all for the responses. I think I will give the MasterSeries Silver a try.
God Bless
Whisler

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by PetesPonies
PetesPonies wrote
Gary, I mentioned to you before, it is different than POR. I hate POR. Its adhesion is poor. I have seen it peel off in sheets. Master Series is moisture cured like POR, but Master Series Silver is not the same product as POR.
Pete - What I said was "I believe it is pretty much the same as POR15 with respect to adherence to rust."  I am in no way saying they are the same product.  But they do both adhere extremely well to rust.  Or, maybe I should say that I know POR15 does, and can only assume MS does from what you've said.

I'm not at all pushing POR15.  MS may very well be better.  But I've used POR15 many times and with proper preparation it adheres well.

When I run out of POR I'll probably buy some MS just to find out for myself.  But so far the POR has not let me down.  And since I have quite a supply it'll be some time before I run out.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by Whisler
If you have any application question ask. Even what to do prior to using it and how to get it out of the can :)  yes there is a smart way and a not so smart way  :)
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I have seen POR peel right off, and after proper prep. JFYI .  Master series makes several products, for different application. MS Silver is a primer. They suggest top coating it, depending on where and how it is used. You could use POR as a top coat. It is just not the material to use right over a rusty panel, regardless as to how it is advertised. MS even makes a material just like POR. But . . they don't claim it should go over bare steel  :)
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco