20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

EGR Valve Position Sensor

ckuske
Administrator
Hi All,

I'm looking to replace the EVP on my '84 302.

Aaaand, unfortunately (when it comes to this truck) both of us started life in the 80's in California.  So, parts tend to be a little different in the emissions area of this truck.

The part number on the EVP is E43F-9G428-ALA or possibly E43F-9G428-A1A

Either way, I cant find such a beast on Rockauto, eBay, or else where.

This guy will do the trick I think, but I wanted to check here as I don't want to buy it and have it not work.  Do I need to worry about compatibility, or will the one I found work most likely?

I'm trying to fix a KOEO Code of 31.  While I have it out, I will try to test it on the bench but since it's original, I just may try to swap it for a fresh one.

Thanks for all your help!

Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: EGR Valve Position Sensor

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That number, E434-9G428-A1A (not ALA) is correct for only one 1984 F-series truck.  Go to Document/CALIBRATION INFO & PART #'S and to the Parts Lists tab.  Then scroll down to CALIBRATION PARTS LIST NO. 381.  There you'll see that it fits a 1984 or 85 F150, F250, or Bronco with an auto and CA-emissions.

And note that the Motorcraft part # is CX-863-A.  Then go to the ebay listing and scroll down to Item Specifics:

Interchange Part Number: CX346, CX863, CX863A, D9AE9G428A1A, D9AE9G428A4A, D9AE9G428A5A, D9AZ9G428A, E43F9G428A1A, E43F9G428A1B, E43F9G428A2A, E43F9G428AA, E43Z9G428A, E43Z9G428B, 12352211, 21381

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Thanks Gary. I’ll take a look right now.

I knew it was lurking around here somewhere, I did a search but it didn’t turn up.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I appreciate it.
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
  There you'll see that it fits a 1984 or 85 F150, F250, or Bronco with an auto and CA-emissions.

And note that the Motorcraft part # is CX-863-A.  Then go to the ebay listing and scroll down to Item Specifics:

Interchange Part Number: CX346, CX863, CX863A, D9AE9G428A1A, D9AE9G428A4A, D9AE9G428A5A, D9AZ9G428A, E43F9G428A1A, E43F9G428A1B, E43F9G428A2A, E43F9G428AA, E43Z9G428A, E43Z9G428B, 12352211, 21381

https://www.ebay.com/p/168731672

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/motorcraft,CX863A,egr+valve+position+sensor,5092
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Thanks 1986F150Six!  Looks like my weekend plans are coming together.
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
CONTENTS DELETED
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the feedback.  The EGR moves freely, so I think it's the sensor.   Now, it may be the harness causing the issue like you said.  Or it could be a myriad of other things.

I've ordered a fresh NOS EGR and EVP.  I'm gonna replace both.  Now, I know this is the shotgun approach, but I'm hoping it get lucky.  Since both were original, I figure it's time to replace them before we hit their MTBF.  I kinda hate doing this way without digging way down, but I'm gonna cheat this time (hopefully).  The wiring is in pretty good shape (haven't had a problem with any circuit yet, knock on wood), so I'm going with the simplest answer is usually the correct one.

Thanks for the test procedure, I'll give those a shot if I still have the code after replacing the parts this weekend.  

-Chris
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
CONTENTS DELETED
Steve
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Makes sense!  I actually bought a vacuum pump off eBay the other day, I'll give it a shot when it gets here.  I'm working on building out the types of tools I have on hand for working on this truck (DVM, Vacuum pump, etc).  Most of my tools are for replacing a faucet etc around the house.  That is quickly changing with working on this truck. :)
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
In reply to this post by old55pete
Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions. I have yet to test the old EGR to see if it was the EGR and the EVP, but I installed new copies of both on the truck tonight and my KOEO code is gone.  Yippee!  

Now on to KOER tomorrow.

I'm chasing down a hesitation problem when accelerating, just after pushing on the accelerator.  If I give it a good stomp it doesn't seem to happen, but if I simulate accelerating from a stop (like at a stop sign perhaps), I get a about 3/4 second hesitation before RPMs increase.  Never stalling or missing... just a 'dead' spot of sorts.

I got the carb rebuilt, new accelerator pump, etc.  Nothing yet.  I'll post about this in another thread eventually.

But thanks to Gary and all the others, you've been a big help.
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yippee!!!  Glad it worked.

As for the hesitation, that sounds like an accelerator pump problem, like not quite enough stroke.  The 1985/86 Fuel Systems Adjustment booklet has this to say:

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
CONTENTS DELETED
Steve
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Thanks both of you gentlemen. I appreciate it.  I honestly hadn’t thought of worn linkage before.

I trust the shop that rebuilt the carb and installed it, but something may have changed on the truck since then, or maybe something else has broken. I really haven’t driven the truck much though.

I know you guys can’t see into a crystal ball, but see if this makes sense:

Now, I haven’t learned yet (aka haven’t read) if the accelerator pump is involved during during engine start. But, if my truck sits more than a day, it takes a lot of pedal pumping to start. It’s not cold (SoCal), the choke engages, but it takes a good six or seven full presses on the accelerator to hear it even start to catch, if not fully start. If the truck has been run in the last few hours, it starts instantly

Could a short throw on the accelerator cause this as well?  Or what can I look for if it’s not related?
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I think it’s normal. If I haven’t started mine for a few days it takes bit of pumping.

Especially when it’s cold, but not as bad when it’s warmer.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ckuske
I hadn't thought of worn linkage either.  But that could do the bit about not accelerating immediately from a stop with a gentle prod of the pedal.

As for hard starting after a few days, especially when cold, there are a lot of factors.  Gasohol evaporates faster than pure gasoline.  And a choke that isn't coming on quite far enough will require more pumping.  But an accelerator pump that isn't doing what it is supposed to do will exacerbate things.

Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
CONTENTS DELETED
Steve
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Got it, thank you all. I will check the carb with my son and see how many pumps it takes to get something to spray down into the manifold. You all have a nice Sunday.
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It is a beautiful, but cool, Sunday here.  Just home from church, am sitting down to catch up and watch the Chiefs beat the Titans (I hope), and back to the church building for game night.  Gonna be a game-type day.

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Things worked out for you last night, then!  My son was less than enthused (Packers fan) haha.
Chris