EFI news

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

EFI news

NotEnoughTrucks
Found this over on that other forum. Pretty interesting for those of us running EECIV.

http://www.stinger-performance.com/universalparts.html
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: EFI news

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Interesting!  That is making me re-think my plans to use Core Tuning to program the EEC-V box.  I wonder if they, Stinger, have a similar product for EEC-V replacement?

I'm going to ask.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by NotEnoughTrucks
Interesting, I have looked at their site before. Amazing how many more companies are now offering systems that work with Ford's EFI and transmissions. When I was trying to set up something for Darth there was virtually no support for a truck with an E4OD, manual trans, non-computer automatics or light duty computer controlled (AOD-E, 4R70W) yes, they were used in cars, especially Mustangs) so a Mustang EEC-IV could be used with a piggyback system (TwEECer, Moates or similar).

My concern with a lot of those is what happens if it quits in BFE on a holiday weekend, where do you get parts or service if needed. I have lots of spare Ford EFI parts including a few spare EEC-V boxes. If I am going on a long run, say to my son's in WV, I can toss a spare TFI on a heat sink and a pre-flashed EEC-V box in with my normal road tools and if something quits I have what it takes to get rolling again. So far most of the problems I have run into are from other than EFI components (water pump, bypass hose, radiator) some of which is due to the truck being 33 years old.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bill - Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of having a "factory" system that will surely be easier to support that an aftermarket system. However, what I don't look forward to is working with Core Tuning.

My birthday is coming up in almost exactly a month, and my wife has asked what I want. Over a year ago I was planning on getting the Core Tuning package for my birthday, but despite having several telephone calls and emails with the guys that never happened. We'd nailed down what I need to Direct Flash, if I remember correctly, but then things fell apart when I wanted to add a wideband AFR.

In an email and a telephone call Adam recommended the Dynocom AFR. But in a call with Ben I mentioned what Adam recommended and he said "He WHAT?! We stock the Innovate! Why isn't he selling the ones we carry?"

On 5/18/2018 I replied to Adam via email, and cc'd Ben, trying to clear up the wideband issue. But I never heard back from them. I was ready to order, but they completely dropped the ball. So here I am a year later and finally about ready to jump into the project and yet I'm reluctant to get involved with Core Tuning. And along comes what may be another option - Stinger.

So I wrote Stinger and said:

I was just reading about your PiMPxshift Powertrain Management System and was thinking about using it for my soon-to-be EFI conversion. But, as I have everything for converting to EEC-V I wondered if you support that as well.

My truck is an '85 F250 w/a 460. I have everything but the ECU from a '96 CA-spec 460, meaning wiring harness, fuel rails, MAF, etc. And I've planned to use Core Tuning's "system" to re-program another EEC-V ECU to work with the 460.

But do you have an ECU that would plug into the EEC-V connector and can be programmed as your EEC-IV system can? Or, do you have other suggestions?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
The wideband issue is interesting. I have an Innovate and Adam was quite happy I did have it. It integrates nicely into the tuning software. I know Adam has some personal issues, but I have dealt with both Ben and Clint (Clint for longer than either of the others) and all of them have been very helpful.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Is Clint the one in OKC?

Anyway, here's what I just sent "them" via FB Messenger:

Gentlemen - A year ago I was ready to buy your Mongoose Direct Flash cable, the DataQ 4-channel DAQ, and a wide-band AFR.  But I had conflicting recommendations for the AFR from Ben and Adam, with one recommending Dynocom and one Innovate.  And on 5/18/2018, meaning essentially a year ago, I emailed both of them asking for clarification.

We are now essentially one year on and I am going to buy something, from someone.  Are you guys interested?  Is the Mongoose still the right solution?  Have you settled your differences on the AFR?

You can call me on 918.859.7400 to discuss this if you are ready to sell me something.

Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Reading through their site, it seems what they have done is put a Megasquirt ECU in an EECIV box and wired the connector to be compatible with OEM Ford wiring. I've wondered if something like this is practical and it seems it may be. Price tag is quite steep at $1500 USD. They can control the transmission as well which would save the cost of a Baumann controller or equivalant.

Things have been on hold here for much of the last year, but I still like the idea of running OBDII. I really do need to fire up my Frankentruck and I am tempted to try using a 2000ish Triton ECU. Big plans and diminishing resources unfortunately.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, that looks to be what they've done - Megasquirt in an EEC-IV box.  And, that has some merit, especially given the additional capabilities it has.

However, it still doesn't have OBD-II, and I really think I need that so the trucks can be maintained.  So, I just had a 45 minute conversation with Adam from Core Tuning and wound up buying their Direct Flash package, which includes:

Direct Flash Package

1) Binary Editor w/Dongle
2) Includes All Supported Strategies
3) Pro Direct Flash Cable
4) OBDII License
5) Plus $20 Shipping (USPS)
Covers Lower 48 States

This lets me directly flash the ECU with the engine off, but if I decide later that I want to be able to do it while driving then I can add the Quarter Horse for another $250.  However, Adam didn't think I'd need that.

Anyway, I'll pick this up over on the Big Blue thread later today.  But I'm glad you posted about the Stinger option as it got me to doing something.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Sounds good to me. I don't think you want to flash it "on the fly" since I believe it only will flash KOEO (key on engine off). A Quarter Horse like TwEECer allows you to have multiple tunes stored and switch between them, having been unable to get my TwEECer to work, I traded it for the "unicorn" air inlet system.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I forgot to say that Shannon from Stinger got back to me with this:

Thanks for your interest.

Unfortunately we don't have anything for EEC-V/OBD2 applications and the EPA is cracking down on companies offering OBD2 tuning (they already hit SCT/Bullydog hard) and we want nothing to do with EPA sanctions.

So unless you convert to an EEC-IV harness we don't have anything for you.

Which makes the decision to go with Core Tuning easy.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I hope they don't shut Core Tuning down, that will leave a lot of us just slightly screwed. I would not want to go back to an EEC-IV as there was no MAF/SEFI 460 built with an EEC-IV.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
As long as we have the calibrations or strategies then we'd be ok - right?

By the way, I don't understand what a calibration or a strategy is.  I'm assuming that a calibration is the set of parameters that are in the tables that the computer uses to determine how much ignition timing to apply or how long to hold an injector open.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Pretty much, the strategy is the template for the calibration, and it may be used for more than just one engine/transmission combination.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
OK.

I told Adam that I'm going to document the goody out of this, and he was pleased.  (He has no clue what I mean by that.  )  In any event, as I work out what various things mean I'm hoping to capture them and, when it is done, to pull it all together in a document that will reside some where on the web site so others have an easier time of getting their heads around this.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I can add my experience with this also as I have been running Darth on their stuff since June 2013.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile