EEC Question

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

EEC Question

DH166
About to do the ignition timing on the 81 Custom project and the manual has different procedures based on what kind of EEC you have.  Below is a pic of the Duraspark module.  The truck is at my dad's and he took the pic. So, I don't know what the numbers are either side of the standard 12A199 (which I thought was ID enough until I starting looking around the boards).  Anyhow, can anyone tell me whether this is Duraspark II or III?  
1981 F100 Custom SWB 2WD 4.9L C4 Auto
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: EEC Question

85lebaront2
Administrator
From what I remember, blue grommet was standard. If it only has two plugs, then it is the non-computer model, if 3 plugs and one is to a sensor, then you have a high altitude system, 3 plugs and one goes back into the harness and under the cab, look under the driver's seat for an EEC box. That will be a EEC-III and distributor is locked in place with no provision for adjustment and cap will be very strange looking.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by DH166
That's a Duraspark II, and there is no EEC, which stands for Electronic Engine Control.  That can be determined by the blue grommet where the wires come out of the box - the classic telltale of a DS-II box.

The DS-II system was the simple system that used a reluctor in the distributor to signal to the box in the picture when to fire the ignition.  No computer anywhere to calculate anything.

As for the 12A199, that is Ford's generic part number for a "Modulator assy.-ignition (breakerless)", as shown in the Master Parts Catalog.  To get the whole part number you need a prefix, like D9VZ, and a suffix, like -A.  Put that together with the generic number and you have D9VZ 12A199-A, which is the whole part number for a box like that.  

You can see all of the part numbers here: Electrical/Ignition and on the Ignition Modules tab.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

DH166
Got it.  Thanks for the info
1981 F100 Custom SWB 2WD 4.9L C4 Auto