123456 ... 20
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: E4OD For Dad’s Truck

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This is a 450 and it has hydroboost!

Any interest in the PS pump, master and hydraulic lines?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Two of your pics didn’t come through, but I get the picture. However, on the manifold my plan was to use a Cleveland intake and the Price adapters to mate it to an M-block. Then drill the adapters for the injectors. But, you are thinking I can drill the Weiand intake for injectors?

As for hydroboost, yes!  Jonathan and I were just talking about that, and he HIGHLY recommends it. I’ll either use it on Big Blue or Dad’s truck.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - Does that truck have an E4OD?  And the needed crossmember?  Is it 4wd?  Perhaps I can buy parts from you, paying you to do the work and to ship them, and save me from having to buy and part a truck?

Bill - I haven’t completely given up on the EFI idea, and have been reading about what is involved. In doing so I found something that says you need a “crank position sensor, cam position sensor, Power Steering Pressure Switch, Evaporative Emission Canister Purge Valve, Exhaust Gas Vacuum Regulator, Heated Oxygen Sensor (Pre Catalyst & Post Catalyst), Vehicle Speed Sensor, Idle Air Control Valve, Intake Air Temperature sensor, Mass Air Flow sensor, Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and a few other various sensors.”  Are all of those necessary?  Which ones are and can they be had from Jim’s truck?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It's a pita to edit photos from my phone.

It's 2wd with a Zf-5.
4x4 style Zf with the superduty parking brake bolted to the back of it.

I have the whole engine and harness coming out.
I can get the PDC box as well, if you want.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oh, ok. But you should be able to sell the ZF.

As for the PDC, why not. It might be needed with the harness. When we settle on what all to ship you’ll have to set a price.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Are you ok with buying new power steering hoses? Because I don't have my crows foot with me and I'm really not supposed to be stripping cars here.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No prob as they’d probably be different lengths anyway.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
It's out, and it's yours.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cool!  What brackets will I need to put it on Big Blue’s 460?  Looks like it is set up for a serpentine belt, so will I need all the other stuff to convert to serp or just change the pulley?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You can use any dual return PS pump.
If you already have a Sag just put a Y at the return inlet and not listen to this C2 pump whine.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I have the Sag for Dad's, but BB has a C2. Was wondering how or if to use that bracket.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Do you need the ac compressor to go with the bracket?

I would say if you wanted to switch over to a serpentine setup I will get you the alternator and bracket off the other side.
.... and the water pump, and the fan, with pulley... and all the rest of the front dress.

Pretty sure you need to change some of the tapped holes on the front of carbed heads to run these brackets.
The water pump is set up for the dreaded water to oil intercooler. (ask Bill about "the box".  Lol)
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I would like to have that stuff as I may convert Big Blue while I have the engine out. So, please grab the alternator, etc. And that'll give me a 3G. 👍  Thanks!

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
A 7" C-C 95A 3G, but a 3G none the less.
should I pull that harness too?

Okay, I'll try to sort it all out and clean it up a bit.
Then will post pics so you can tell me what you want.

You have no need for the A.I.R. pump, right?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I do not have a PS pressure switch, or any air pump junk, you can turn off unused hardware in BE when flashing the EEC box. You need 2 upstream O2 sensors, one for each bank so the system only trims the side needing adjustment, downstream is for catalyst monitor, MAF is to measure the air flow for the EFI, TPS tells how far the throttle is open for the EFI and trans. CKP and CMP sensors are in the distributor. CKP triggers on the leading edge of the 8 vanes, CMP triggers on vane width, #1 is narrower than the other 7. VSS is needed for (1) EFI system, (2) transmission and (3) speed control. If you get the intake manifold from Jim's truck, you will have IAC, TPS, ECT, ACT, EVP all on the plenum, if you get the coil bracket you will also have EGR and AIR solenoid valves which you won't be using and the TFI-IV coil, get the ICM and heat sink from the left inner fender and the distributor for the CMP and CKP sensors, the engine harness will probably stay on the intake as other than the oil pressure, coil and solenoids pretty well everything is on top of the intake. MAF, 1995 Lincoln Continental or MK 8 have the 90mm MAF needed for the 460 system and Core tuning has the curves for it.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Jim - No need nor desire for AIR.

Guys - Things are heating up. Jim and I’ve been chatting in the background about what parts I want and he’s been graciously pulling part after part off for me. And then the guy called tonight about the 4wd F250 that has been cut in half. Apparently the guy that was to have come to get it didn’t, so he’s offering it to me. Now I’ll have a running 460, complete with harnesses and sensors as well as serpentine system I assume; a working E4OD (& transfer case) with the driveshafts and crossmember; both tanks and fuel lines; the interior, including the OD switch on the dash as well as the shifter; and even another front diff - probably a D44?

So, it looks like Bill can get Jim’s AC compressor and I’ll still have everything to go serpentine if I want to do so. But, I need some help from Bill about harnesses: Is the harness Jim has better than that on the ‘90?  Why?  I’m thinking that using the ‘90 as the donor for almost everything would be the way to go - right?

Jim - I certainly want the hydroboost system. And the ZF crossmember as I don’t have a way to look up the later years to see if it’ll fit so will gamble that it will.  And I’m sure I’ll still want other parts, so let’s see what all is needed when the dust settles. Thanks!

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Yes, I got the black module and heatsink in with the engine harness.
I only really need the short block, so anything from the head gaskets up can go to Gary if he needs it.

I wish this truck didn't have 10 lug super duty wheels, brakes, axles in it.
I would pull the rear axle for the discs if nothing else.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary, the dust is going to settle soon, as this truck is going to be parted tomorrow and then the pieces are going to the shredder.
I asked 2 or 3 times before I cut the carpet to extract the Zf floor pan.
When I pulled it back I was amazed at the gloss in the paint of the cab floor.
Even over by the door sills where salty, slushy New England boots seem to always rot the floor out.

There's also a nice set of aluminum DeeZee running boards.
The brackets are a little rusty but I was impressed by how solid they felt when getting in and out.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad you got the ZF pan. Was going to ask if you are going to use it, but then realized I’ll have one myself. 😳

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Yes, all EFI 460s are serpentine belt models, Get the water pump pulley from Jim, the later pump has a larger hub and shaft to eliminate a problem with the early serpentine 460s, breaking the water pump shaft. Jim's harness is the better design and I should have the piece he chopped off. The 1992-96/7 use the big PDC on the left inner fender, 1987-91 were still using fusible links.

Jim, if I had known the interior color I would have spoken for the carpet, 1996 crew cab was in two sections, front and rear, overlapping under the front seat.

The fuel pumps on the 1990 will not work with your gauges as the senders are on the pump modules (see earlier post on pumps/gauges).
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

123456 ... 20