Duraspark II

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
26 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Duraspark II

emunder
I know...this has been covered numerous times and I have done my research & digging through all the threads...that's how I got this far lol. Ok as I'm getting further and further into working on this truck I think I want to do the Duraspark II setup. Spent the past few nights researching as much as I can on this subject here, on other forums & online. Narrowed my parts list down to the following below, do y'all see anything that I may be missing? Kind of foggy on what type of carb to get. Saw here where someone got one for an older F-350...Carter YF?

1. Harness - I'm going to take a look at the junk yards & see if I can find the stock harness. If not I think I'm going to go with the American Autowire harness p/n 500918. Seems to be a much better option than the Painless.

2. Duraspark Unit - These are readily available and I def want a brand new unit. Motorcraft p/n 1U2Z-12A199-AA.

3. Distributor - Another forum member on here posted that they used the Spectra Premium p/n FD11. This looks like a fine option or should I be considering something else?

4. Coil - Easy to find...lots of options here.

5. Non-Feedback Carb - Again...the non-EGR Carter YF from an older 1970 F-350? Not sure how to search for the right carb because a bunch of options are pulling up. Suggestions on this?

I've even looked into the possibility of doing the Offenhauser C manifold matched up with the Holley 390...that would be real cool! But then I'd have to swap the exhaust manifolds out for the EFI duals at the very least. I do plan on getting the exhaust replaced and removing the CAT all together. With the age of this truck in Texas they do not do emissions testing, just a safety inspection.

Considerations - Going to have to figure out which wiring to remove. Hoping I can pull the computer all together, just need to make sure the harness I get still allows the oil & temp guages to work. I plan on removing all of the smog crap. One thing I am worried about is how to block the EGR hole where the carb mounts. Saw where someone here found a conversion spacer without the EGR hole but that looks like it's totally impossible to find. Is there maybe a non-EGR manifold that I could pick up that would work?

Think that's pretty much about it. Still researching the subject for the best parts & how to do it properly. Hopefully I can pull it off lol.
1986 Ford F150 XLT 4X4. 300 I6 w/ 4 speed manual.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Duraspark II

85lebaront2
Administrator
Up through 1977 the F150 and heavier 300 had a non-feedback Carter YFA for a non catalyst application, any non-computer Carter YF or one of the Holley 1940 replacements will work well, just be sure the "stack-up" height is the same as the feedback one, or the air filter may not fit and work.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

emunder
What is the difference between the YF & YFA models?
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
On the EGR, do some research, it’s not a bad thing to have. If your engine will run good with it.

I can’t get my 460 running good with it so I have a plate on there to block it off. Going to have to try again some day.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

emunder
Have to have the non-EGR, non-feedback carb though for the Duraspark setup to work correctly though right?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Not sure I understand what you mean about having to have no EGR, but a carb from a non-EGR truck will work just fine.

However, if you use a distributor from an engine with EGR you will need to have it recurved.  That's because the inert exhaust gas that is introduced into the air/fuel mix slows combustion significantly, so they give a lot of ignition advance via the vacuum advance unit.  So if you do away with EGR and use a dizzy w/o recurving it you are likely to have at least pinging if not detonation.

As for your question earlier, I think the YF is a non-feedback carb and the YFA is a feedback carb.  But I can't prove that.

Concerning the spacer to block off the EGR, David found one in this thread.  Don't know if it still there.

David/1986F150Six has a Carter YF 4901 S carburetor [from 1970 F350 with 300 engine] on his engine and it works out really well.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I forgot to mention, I found an EGR block plate on ebay I think. It was listed for a 351W, but had the dimensions so I ordered it and it worked.

Different engine and carb and all, but thought I’d say something.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by emunder
emunder wrote
2. Duraspark Unit - These are readily available and I def want a brand new unit. Motorcraft p/n 1U2Z-12A199-AA.
Readily available is right. The mail man dropped one off to me today;).

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

emunder
Nice!
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
emunder wrote
Have to have the non-EGR, non-feedback carb though for the Duraspark setup to work correctly though right?

A DuraSpark II ignition system would have originally used a non-feedback carburetor and a DSII-specific distributor that are both calibrated to be used with EGR and other emissions equipment.

You can use the DuraSaprk II ignition without EGR, but choose a carburetor that is not calibrated for EGR.  Aftermarket carburetors like the Holley 390 are not calibrated for EGR.  The easiest way to to do this is to find an older, stock FORD carburetor that was used before EGR (and other emissions) and one that closely matches your engine, transmission, and type of vehicle.  The 1970 F350 carburetor you are referring to is a good example.  

You will also need to re-curve your distributor so it is calibrated to run without EGR for the reasons Gary mentioned. There are a couple of places that sell DSII distributors that are calibrated to your specific engine combination.  

Capiche?
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

emunder
Ok I see what y'all are saying. Then in theory what I would like to do is convert over to DS2, get the proper distributor & coil, leave the stock intake manifold in place & install the EGR non-feedback carb, install EFI exhaust manifolds with the Walker Y-pipe, pull the smog pump & cat, and install new exhaust from the Y-pipe back.

Question though...in removing the air pump does it not hook up to the EGR, if so how do you block it off once the smog pump is removed?

I don't have emissions inspection in Texas since my truck is over 30 yrs old so I'd like to just take all that crap off.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
emunder wrote
...leave the stock intake manifold in place & install the EGR non-feedback carb...
Do you mean a NON-EGR NON-Feedback carb? Or are you trying to keep the EGR system?

I am no 300/6 expert by any means, but there have been quite a few discussions on here about factory NON-EGR spacers...of which there are a few different styles I believe. You can see one of several discussions below:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Non-EGR-spacer-for-300-4-9L-D7TZ-9A589-H-NOS-td19341.html

Or, as far as I know, most people just remove the EGR pipe and bolt a plate over it, or cut the end of it off and have it welded shut. Some good pictures in the thread linked below:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Questions-regarding-duraspark-conversion-td18255i20.html#a18389

If you Google the topic, you'll find where some people went to great lengths cutting everything off the EGR spacer and then welding it all closed.

If you're going back to 1960's or early 1970's era emissions (or lack thereof) you'll just need a single vacuum line for your distributor, a vacuum line for PCV, and a vacuum line for your power brake booster.

Everything else can go. (I'm speaking from 302 experience, not 300/6, but I went through this process myself and removed everything).

Reply | Threaded
|

emunder
@ Rembrant:

Figured I'd just leave the EGR system intact and use a non-feedback EGR carb. This way I won't have to have the dizzy recurved. What I was wondering is what happens when you remove the smog pump? Doesn't it tie into the EGR somehow? Think I understand everything else..
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Nope.

The Air Injection Reactor/tion system has nothing to do with EGR.

It provides air/oxygen to the exhaust & catalytic converter under certain conditions, in order to oxidize/combust remaining hydrocarbons before they escape to the atmosphere.

EGR provides inert exhaust gas (NO oxygen) to the intake charge under certain conditions in order to slow combustion and allow more spark advance without knock.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
emunder wrote
@ Rembrant:

Figured I'd just leave the EGR system intact and use a non-feedback EGR carb. This way I won't have to have the dizzy recurved. What I was wondering is what happens when you remove the smog pump? Doesn't it tie into the EGR somehow? Think I understand everything else..
Sorry Emunder, I'm not much help here. When it comes to removing emissions systems, it seems like most folks take an all or nothing approach. Either it all stays or it all goes. So having said that, I don't know anything about retaining only the EGR.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You can keep the EGR system intact and NOT have to change the distributor, but you need to keep the thermal vacuum switch and green vacuum lines.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Nope.

The Air Injection Reactor/tion system has nothing to do with EGR.

It provides air/oxygen to the exhaust & catalytic converter under certain conditions, in order to oxidize/combust remaining hydrocarbons before they escape to the atmosphere.

EGR provides inert exhaust gas (NO oxygen) to the intake charge under certain conditions in order to slow combustion and allow more spark advance without knock.
If the AIR pump and the tube going to the cat are gone will this cause negative affects if the cat is kept in place (clogging?). At that point would you remove the cat?
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The oxygen helps it 'fire off'
Remember, these were early days and rather crude combustors.

If I had to have a cat, I'd probably go with a newer 'universal' cat that didn't take air.
Though:
A) My truck (over 8500) never had one.

B) The trucks Cats are still far away from the exhaust ports.
Newer cars have them integrated into the manifold, so start times are quick.

If the truck is tuned well, and driven some distance, I don't see a problem.

If the choke never opens and it only goes 3-10 miles at a time I can see a cat getting coated.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Yea per the PO the truck had not seen very much highway driving before I bought it. A lot around the neighborhood, and farm/field. With the cat tubes not even hooked up, and the air pump gone it would not surprise me if the honey comb in there is all coated up. I know cats are pretty important to cutting out the nox etc from emissions so a universal one sounds like a responsible (albiet expensive) replacement. If it is nasty maybe ill play with putting it in the sonic cleaner lol and hook up a pipe patch in the mean time.

That being said there is no emissions checking in SC I could run straight pipes all the way back with no cats and no muffler and be perfectly legal, but from my understanding lack of at least a little back pressure decreases your fuel efficiency.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

emunder
Thank y'all so much, I really appreciate it. Gonna get started ordering some parts so I can get the ignition converted over to the DS2. I really don't mind buying another distributor...they are pretty inexpensive.

On another note....when I was exploring the idea of trying to omit the EGR I did come across this manifold...looks like it does not have the EGR hole. Couldn't find any information on the part number but if you wanted to omit the EGR that would be a pretty simple fix instead of scouring the internet for the carb plate that covers the hole...they seem to be extremely hard to find. Have y'all seen this manifold before?