Dual exhaust broken

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Dual exhaust broken

swampedout
Hey folks, previous owner welded up dual exhaust pipes on the truck: they run off the engine, drop down parrallel, dual cats, then split out back.
Driver side weld recently seperated completely after the cat. Is this an issue I need to fix immediately?
Luckily the break is clean but all I have is a stick welder and Id probably blow the metal out if I mess with it.
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
 MSD Ignition. Airbag rear suspension
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Dual exhaust broken

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't think it is an issue.  It'll be loud, but the cat should muffle it some.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
My buddy Alex had an '86 with an I-6 and ALL he had was the Cat.

It sounded fine once I welded up some hangers and got a pipe on it to get it out from under the truck so the drone was gone.

I don't know how half a V-8 would sound?
I guess that depends on the mufflers that are installed.

I'd be concerned if the head pipe was gone and the exhaust was pointing at the saddle tank.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
My main concern that the unbalanced exhaust is going to mess with the engine.
Then the heat under the truck, especially the tanks as you said. Its a couple feet from the rear tank. The break is right at the cab/bed split.
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Once it's out of the engine and there's enough pipe to keep the back of the exhaust valve from cold shock you are not "hurting" the engine.

And I wouldn't worry too much about the rear tank (with 4+' and a cross member in front of it)

Just find someone with a mig or tig to fix it when you can.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
Great!

Thanks for helping me out with that. It eases my mind because I have too much maintenance to do already.
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
Whole buncha problems