classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Dual Tank rear tank only

jbritt
1986 f-250 XL sc 6.9l

Been searching the forums for an answer but nothing has helped that I have found. Ran through the diagnostic test but it states the fuse #15 and is a 10 amp. However, the wiring diagram available here states it is fuse #3 for the selector switch.

Here's the symptoms:
-Truck only pulls from the rear tank
-Gauge reads negative until fuel level drops to around 5-7 gallons, then begins to climb towards empty. I
  have yet to see what happens if I run it longer cause I tend to fill up when I notice the movement (not the
  usual sweep when the tank usually indicates empty)
- Used to be able to run both tanks, however gauge readings have always been wonky
- I have pulled both sending units and they both look to be in good condition, still unsure of a good way to
  test them..
- Removed and cleaned the selector switch
- This part may require another thread but I am also having issues with getting power through the lg/y wire
  in the dome light and radio circuit. It will however blow fuse 7 every time its replaced. Will function when
  jumped but the wiring gets quite roasty.. not sure if it plays into the power for the dual tanks but figured
  I'd toss it out there.

Let me know if anyone needs photos or further details as I'm sure people will, just wasn't sure what to post pictures of...
Keaton
'86 F250 XL 6.9 idi with a sidewinder, zf5, 4x4, single cab lb
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Dual Tank rear tank only

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The best way to test sending units is to pull the wire from the sending unit and ground it.  With the key on the gauge should go to full scale if it is working correctly.

Then put a volt/ohm meter on the sending unit.  It should read somewhere between 10 ohms for full and 72 ohms for empty.  But your symptoms sound like someone may have put a Bricknose sending unit in, which will read about 160 ohms full and 16 ohms empty - meaning backwards and with a different range.

As for the fuse for the selector switch, this says it is #15, and it came from Documenation/Electrical/EVTM/1985 EVTM/FUEL TANK SELECTOR & GAUGES (DIESEL).  Where did you see that it is #3?

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

jbritt
I get a full sweep from the rear tank but no response from the front when grounding the wires.

Rear sending unit read about 105 ohms, front unit reads open loop so I am assuming its no good.
The 105 ohms leads me to believe that you are correct in your inkling that the incorrect sending unit is installed. Can you run bricknose sending units and get normal gauge function? Or does someone know where to find the correct sending units?

I found the fuse info on page two of the 1986 wiring diagrams
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FQsVr3XX8DOOHDYuMAkyZ-DYuKjp1eCy/view
Keaton
Reply | Threaded
|

jbritt
In reply to this post by jbritt
Rear tank
Midship tank
switch valve
switch valve
Keaton
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by jbritt
The difference in fuse # is just a difference between the large schematics and the EVTM.  I think they still point to the same fuse.

If the rear sending unit reads 105 ohms then it probably is the wrong one.  You can either replace it or add a Meter Match, which will map it to match the Bullnose gauge.  But it might be less expensive to just replace the sending unit.

On the front tank, if grounding the wire doesn't move the gauge then your selector valve may be bad.  You know the wiring from the selector valve is good, so that suggests the valve is bad.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

jbritt
Kinda what I was feelin was the issue, or combination of issues. Have sending units and a switch valve on the way. We'll see how she bucks once they're on.

Thank you for the guidance!
Keaton
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good luck!

Reply | Threaded
|

jbritt
New sending units and a new switch did nothing haha. Still not registering on the dash and switching the selector doesn't have any effect.
Keaton
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bummer!  I'd try bypassing the valve.  Run a line from the tank to the switch on the HVAC panel and see if it works that way.

Reply | Threaded
|

jbritt
Messed with the connection at the switch valve a little is found that I just needed to plug it in a bit further. Not quite an exact fit from the old pigtail to the new valve body but I have fuel gauges again. It is reading a bit above full but I'll need to take it for a nice long drive to see if they are reading properly or not. Looks to have done the trick though.
Keaton
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Congrat's!  That's the best kind of fix.