Dual Battery tray

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Dual Battery tray

Danny G
I am looking to buy this tray, what else do I need to mount this thing?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-OEM-Ford-1981-1986-Truck-Bronco-F150-Dual-Battery-Tray-1982-1983-1984-1985/142389435432?epid=508914445&hash=item2127125c28:g:jNIAAOSw4DJYgnQe
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Dual Battery tray

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You need the stuff in the lower right, inc # 10769.  But we don't seem to have the full part number on the site.  Wait a bit ....  

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Wonder if we could fab that part up. Is it possible to have the aux battery and tool box as well? I see a couple members had a tool box and wanted to work with one of those as well.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Ok, see if it is a bit more helpful now.

In addition to E0TZ 10769-A, you will need several fasteners.  The one shown as N605892 is a Bolt - Hex Flange M6 x 1 x 20.  And you'll need the sheetmetal nuts that go with them, and I don't immediately have the part number for them but may be able to get them.

And, you'll need the bracket that goes from the fender to the outside end of the coolant recovery bottle.  I can get the part number if you need it, but I'm pretty sure I have an extra which you can have.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Danny G
No, the aux battery and tool box are mutually exclusive as they sit in the same spot.

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
I may just get the toolbox then and figure something else for a aux battery if I go that route as that piece seems to be very hard to find, even worse than the aux battery tray. I am also going to look at some of the 90's model trucks to see if any of that could work.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That brace is for vans, not pickups.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
What about taking the setup from a diesel?

I was considering doing that but never got past the considering stage so don't know how the core support brackets differ.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm going to guess that the core supports are different enough that you'd have to make some changes to put a diesel battery tray on a gas core support.  But it is a good question and it would be nice to know the answer.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rodeoclown
I believe the diesel second battery tray setup is what you are seeking. The small 1" x 10-12" strip of metal that has the clip nuts is used on both the battery tray support and the toolbox inner support to the core support. Definitely a choice to make, second battery or tool box. Any of the 83-86 diesels should provide the needed parts including the cables. Out of curiosity, with a 300 why are you considering a second battery? Or is it just because. I've had a couple of those before. The only real differences in the core supports are radiator opening related. The main structure is the same.
'86 F-350 4WD 5.8 C6 R/C SRW A/C XLT-under construction.
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
I've removed mine so i'm going off memory but i dont think you need anything else but screws. It mounts to the fender and front, and the tall vertical part connects to you fluids reservoir.
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It does mount to the fender on the left end, but it mounts to 10769 on its right end, and 10769 bolts to the radiator support.

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by Rodeoclown
Rodeoclown wrote
I believe the diesel second battery tray setup is what you are seeking. The small 1" x 10-12" strip of metal that has the clip nuts is used on both the battery tray support and the toolbox inner support to the core support. Definitely a choice to make, second battery or tool box. Any of the 83-86 diesels should provide the needed parts including the cables. Out of curiosity, with a 300 why are you considering a second battery? Or is it just because. I've had a couple of those before. The only real differences in the core supports are radiator opening related. The main structure is the same.

Just because, "house battery" as part of an auxillary set up much like Kramttocs has done. I can probably find a way to relocate a battery somewhere else or just not use it, same could be said of the tool box. I do like the idea of either it may end up just being whichever one I can get a hold of first. I am swapping in the EFI engine so I will have a larger alternator and the set up out of that as well to deal with.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I really like having the secondary battery. I would lean towards a nice custom behind the seat toolbox/speaker setup and do the factory aux battery setup but that's just me. I like the idea of the engine toolbox and it's definitely up there on the neat factor but I would want more dividers/compartments for organization.

I just noticed in the diagram that the core to hold down bracket for the gas aux is different than those I've seen. The one that came on my parts truck (with the aux setup) was more like the primary battery style just angled a little differently. It looks like the diesel one in the diagram so maybe this one was swapped out but it would have been really early in the truck's life.

I am hoping to swing by the jy in the a.m. so I can see if there are any gas aux lower brackets and also take a look at the diesel one I pulled a few months ago but left.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Rodeoclown
Ok, I understand, sometimes you want it just because you want it. That's probably why most of us have a truck and not a 2dr speck POS. Happy hunting.
'86 F-350 4WD 5.8 C6 R/C SRW A/C XLT-under construction.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Forgot my tape so didn't take measurements in the jy but eyeballing it, the diesel setup looks identical with the only exception being how the reservoir hooks on.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
kramttocs wrote
Forgot my tape so didn't take measurements in the jy but eyeballing it, the diesel setup looks identical with the only exception being how the reservoir hooks on.

Well, maybe snatch the full diesel set up and try to put it in the gasser? Or will it not interface. I think your right, the battery is the way to go. I would but this tray in a heart beat but it is useless without the support
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I forget when I posted earlier but the diesel tray did strike me as being a little longer but that shouldn't impact the core support bracket and it might still swap direct - all depends upon if the core support upright is the same distance to the fender. I am near my parts trucks this weekend and am looking for a couple parts for another guy so will compare a diesel to a gas aux truck.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Here are some measurements from the lower support off of a diesel secondary battery setup
Scott