Driving with a bench seat.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Driving with a bench seat.

BullnoseHunter02
Hey guys, so i know the truck i find will probibly have a bench seat. Im wondering if it's harder to drive with one, or, if it can be adjusted, im around 6 foot, so i dont think reaching the pedals is an issue, im just wondering how long it will take to adjust to a bench seat, and if its harder to drive with one. Thanks for all the help!
Hunting for a Bullnose, single cab, 8 foot bed, decent shape with little to no rust! and under 10k in near or around the STL Mo area, (Illinois is a valid option aswell!)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Driving with a bench seat.

1986F150Six
Administrator
I, too, am 6 feet tall and have am quite comfortable with the bench seat.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by BullnoseHunter02
6 ft here also and I'm comfortable with the bench all the way back against the cab.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
Driving with a bench seat is great!  It's like sitting on a sofa.  My wife and son love it.  And yes, a bench seat can be adjusted forward and back just like any other single seat.  Base model trucks came with a very plain, vinyl covered seat, while "Lariat" models came with much more comfortable and plush seats.  Later 1987 - 1996 Ford bench seats will swap to a Bullnose truck without any modifications.  I put a 1987 - 1991 style bench seat in Lucille because I think it is the most comfortable, and it has a convenient flip-down armrest.  Some of the later 1992 - 1996 style seats even have power lumbar support.

I never understood why some people replace their bench seat with a set of captains chairs in a single cab pickup truck.  
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

BullnoseHunter02
Wow, never driven from a sofa before! Now im worried about falling asleep its gonna be so comfy lol! Thats good they can be adjusted!
Hunting for a Bullnose, single cab, 8 foot bed, decent shape with little to no rust! and under 10k in near or around the STL Mo area, (Illinois is a valid option aswell!)
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
6'5" here. I have 37" inseam pant leg size. I have trouble fitting into anything but a truck. Bench seats are the way to go. Gets your sweet thing sitting closer on date nights. More comfortable when parking too.

1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

BullnoseHunter02
Great to hear! It will be an interesting adjustment. Did these trucks ever have bucket seat options on a standard cab? I knew they were avaible on crew and supers though.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
BullnoseHunter02 wrote
Great to hear! It will be an interesting adjustment. Did these trucks ever have bucket seat options on a standard cab? I knew they were avaible on crew and supers though.
I dunno. But I am fixin to have an 89 bronco with the buckets and console.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

Reply | Threaded
|

IDIBronco
I am actually considering going backwards from bronco buckets to a bench seat...
1985 Bronco
6.9 IDI
C6 T19
hydroboost brakes

8 Lug coil sprung D44ttb
10.25 3:55
warn classic bumper
8274 warn winch
Saginaw Conversion

1986 Ford F350 "Dump Truck"
6.9 IDI
T19
8'x12'x4' hydraulic dump bed
front mounted tow bar

1981 Ford F350 "Welding Truck"
300 I6
T18
Welders bed with hoist
onboard air
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
I like the look of the bronco buckets, but man, I just couldnt go buckets. I have two sons. I want to get both in the truck.

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
BullnoseHunter02 wrote
Did these trucks ever have bucket seat options on a standard cab?
I don't think so, but you can lift the floor cover and look.  If there are unused bolt holes covered by rubber plugs, they're for buckets.

They're also visible from below (easier on the driver's side):

But the main advantage of highback buckets is that they recline, and they can't in a standard cab.  My Bronco originally had lowback buckets that don't recline, and they mount the same, so it's possible those were the bucket option in standard cabs.

My '95 F150 has a bench, and at 6'2" 250lbs, I find it very UNcomfortable on long drives.  I did ~6 hrs Tuesday, and my right hip got sore a few times.  That truck is NOT built for buckets.

BTW
The factory pneumatic lumbar system is relatively easy to swap into almost any chair.  It's shown in several of these pics:

Those are CV chairs, but they're constructed the same way as Bronco/F chairs.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ray Cecil
No, the regular cab Bullnose trucks never came with bucket seats.  That's explained here: Interior/Seat Interchangeability.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BullnoseHunter02
Intresting, ive ridden in a few rental trucks with the bench seats. Quite a wierd feeling! They do look really really comfy. Ive know a guy with a 64 F100 styleside, 6 cyl, got a ride in it one day, and that bench seat was more comfy than the bed i sleep in!
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
I find it amusing that today bucket seats are the norm. Most of us, for most our lives, have had bench seats as the norm. Including bench seats in 2 door cars!