classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Driving Lights?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, let's start actually using this forum. I just got an email from my son with a link to a review of Lazer driving lights. As you will see, it is on Expedition Portal's site, which is one of his favorite sites, although he's really not gotten to do much off-roading yet. But, secretly he must like Big Blue as that's the only place I could use such lighting.

Anyway, this isn't going to happen overnight as I have too many other things going on. And, I want to have the fog light bezel/switch thing done before mounting the lights so it can be done "correctly". Given that, we have time to kick this around a bit.

So, please chime in with thoughts about what kind of lights would look right on BB, and where they might be mounted.

(Fortunately you have a pic of the truck above.)
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Driving Lights?

Ford F834
Administrator

I love the look of the OEM fog lights, but at least the Ford ones with the shroud are unobtanium, and wouldn't really jive with the aftermarket bumper. For my own build I have been looking at eBay links for other Marchal fog lights/driving lights and I've become really fond of the Marchal 750 series lights, both in black and chrome finishes. They are certainly not inexpensive, but have a more period look than the contemporary lights. They look like they would belong to the truck, rather than clashing like the ugly LED light bar looking ones that some guys are using. I like them mounted below the bumper, just because I hate covering up the grille with clutter. For serious wheeling I understand the vulnerability of mounting them there, but I'm just not that hard core with my 4x4-ing to have to worry about that. Besides, the headlights are already mounted high, and with the high beams on, what I would really appreciate would be better foreground illumination. But that's just me and my usage.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I agree that the OEM lights look far better than the light bars. In fact, I've told my son that. So, what I'd like to find are LED lights that look like the originals but perform like the light bars.  But, are you saying you don't think they'd jive with the bumper on BB?

As for mounting, I was thinking of placing them on top of the bumper rather than below. That way they would be better protected. However, they would also be in the way as I frequently stand on the bumper to work in the engine bay. So, maybe after the engine gets "fixed" I can mount them and not be tripped by them?

Gary
On Tuesday, August 8, 2017, Ford F834 [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

I love the look of the OEM fog lights, but at least the Ford ones with the shroud are unobtanium, and wouldn't really jive with the aftermarket bumper. For my own build I have been looking at eBay links for other Marchal fog lights/driving lights and I've become really fond of the Marchal 750 series lights, both in black and chrome finishes. They are certainly not inexpensive, but have a more period look than the contemporary lights. They look like they would belong to the truck, rather than clashing like the ugly LED light bar looking ones that some guys are using. I like them mounted below the bumper, just because I hate covering up the grille with clutter. For serious wheeling I understand the vulnerability of mounting them there, but I'm just not that hard core with my 4x4-ing to have to worry about that. Besides, the headlights are already mounted high, and with the high beams on, what I would really appreciate would be better foreground illumination. But that's just me and my usage.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/Driving-Lights-tp140p142.html
To start a new topic under Bullnose Enthusiasts, email <a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;ml%2Bs12971n1h15@n8.nabble.com&#39;);" target="_blank">ml+s12971n1h15@...
To unsubscribe from Bullnose Enthusiasts, click here.
NAML

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Sorry, what I meant was that the lights with shrouds look more like they would belong on the OE style bumper. Since the bumper is aftermarket, aftermarket lights would look more normal. I'm speaking here just of the (aluminum?) box that surrounds the original fog lights. The Marchal lights themselves would look great. Do you know what series was used on the OEM fog lights? Was it in fact the 750's or something else? I agree that LED brightness is desirable, the light bar look not so much...

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, I guess when you just respond via email w/o actually going to the forum you can do more formatting of the text, but you give up seeing the pictures!  I had not seen your picture of the lights.

Anyway, I don't know what specific lights were originally used as the catalog doesn't really say. But what it does say is shown here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/fog-or-driving-lights.html.

I'll be looking around for an LED light that looks like your Marchals.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis

The stock ones look a lot like the 750's in chrome finish, but it's hard to tell... they could be another size. Picture link is wonky. If you already have text typed it wipes it out and replaces it with the link. This will be interesting with a multi picture build thread... I'll experiment with it later.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow!  Those look good!  

But, I don't want mine down under the bumper on Big Blue, although I might on Dad's truck.  

Tell me more about the wonky picture thing.  I've not had any text wiped out.  Did you have the text highlighted when you clicked the Insert Image button?

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
No, I wrote the post text then hit the picture icon, browsed my device, selected the pic, then clicked insert. My post text was gone and the picture link replaced it. Luckily I had copied the text so I pasted it back in and hit post. I can see this being a problem though with a multi picture post.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, I'm gonna try the multi-pic thing.  First is I have to type a bunch of text.  Hmmm, is this enough?

Then I copy it just to be sure.  Done.  (Well, I can't be done until I type the last character and then copy, but how do I do that and say I've done it?????)

Well, that seemed to go ok.  Now let's try another......

No, that worked fine as well.  One more try, but this clicking the Insert Image thing for every insert is slowwwwwwww.

Looks like it worked.  Don't know why mine did and yours didn't, but it is a concern.  The ticket is not closed.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Okay... let me try again...

My text stayed that time... let's try another...

It's working... must have been user error.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad it is working. 

On Wednesday, August 9, 2017, Ford F834 [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Okay... let me try again...

My text stayed that time... let's try another...

It's working... must have been user error.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/Driving-Lights-tp140p178.html
To start a new topic under Bullnose Enthusiasts, email <a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;ml%2Bs12971n1h15@n8.nabble.com&#39;);" target="_blank">ml+s12971n1h15@...
To unsubscribe from Bullnose Enthusiasts, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary, here is another pic of what looks like OEM style fog lights with the shroud mounted above the bumper. Granted this is pretty heavy on the custom "murderd out" style, but they did a nice job on the fog light install.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, they did do a good job on the lights. And while I'm not planning a murderd-out scheme, some might think I am. That's because Vern chose black-walled tires, turning the raised-white lettering in, on black wheels with black hubs and black lugs. Then I mounted black step bars. And since the front bumper's chrome is thin and is peeling in some places I'm considering having it powder coated black.  In fact, that was my brother's recommendation as we left Vern's place the day we picked it up.

So, black lights fit right in. And as you see in the pic above, there's plenty of space on top of the bumper for mounting them.

While the server was down David found these lights. They are black, but I haven't had time to see if there are any reviews. Or, if there are similar lights with good reviews.

Reply | Threaded
|

CountryBumkin
I definitely like the lights mounted on top of the bumper (not to mention they're more protected when off road). Nice looking truck!
-Mike
1982 F250 4x4 XLT Lariat, 460cid, 9.5:1, TFS 290 Street Port heads, Crane Hyd. Roller cam (278/286 adv.,216/224 @.050, .560"/.586" lift), Edelbrock Performer 460 intake, MSD Atomic TBI fuel injection, MSD 6AL ignition, MSD Billet distrib., Hedman headers, NOS Cheater system, 4" Suspension lift, 3" body lift, 4.56 gearing, 17x12.5Rx37 tires MT Baja ATZ-P3.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
And of course, Gary, you could powder coat the silver bolts [screws?] black.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Now I know you said driving lights but for any one looking to mount fog lights they should be close to the ground something like 19" IIRC.

So check out how high off the ground the lights should be mounted to work the best be it fog or driving lights.

On a K5 Blazer I had fog under the bumper and driving mounted to a push/grill guard.
I did hit the fog lights on snow banks and push them back but never broke one off.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good points - David and Dave.