Assigned: Rembrant at priority
(Normal)
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Door pulls away from A pillar

Tyler
When driving at highway speeds, the top of my door pulls away.  This causes a good deal of noise and drips water depending on the severity of the rain.  I can see daylight from the right angle.
The door gaps are pretty good and the rubber seal is new.  The seal is crushed all around when not driving.

I think its possible that my door's top portion is bent outward slightly.  It does not match the passenger side A pillar alignment, but is positioned further away from the cab.

Not sure how to fix or adjust.  Common?

Opinions?
1985 F150 4x4 SB 300 I6: Comp 268 cam, '68 240 head, Offy DP, FI manifolds, Holley Sniper 2300, DUI street/strip distributor, BW T-18, Tuff Country 4" suspension lift, Yukon Offroad hubs + front and rear Duragrip LSD 3.73 ratio, 33-12.5/15s

Gear Vendors overdrive unit on order.

Oklahoma boy livin in Washington State.  Retired submarine MMNCM (Nuclear Machinist's Mate, Master Chief)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Door pulls away from A pillar

kramttocs
Administrator
The gap and noise isn't unusual. Higher trim models have a piece of weatherstripping to address it.

Have you tried adjusting the top door side hinge? I didn't touch mine but I believe it has in-out adjustment.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Tyler
Does your door have the secondary seal like pictured in this thread below:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Door-seal-tp24618p38807.html

I don't know if it can be done with a Bullnose door, but I've bent the tops of doors in before. Roll the window all the way down, put your knee on the door and pull in on the top portion. If it's even possible on a Bullnose door, you'd probably have to remove the wing window and frame to do it. I dunno.

Where's our body guy Dave? You out there Dave??...lol. (Edit...I just remembered that I can alert him...testing this feature now).
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Oh, and I never even occurred to me until I read the WHYDTYTT thread, but a set of Vent Visors might help as well. They won't fix the door of course, but they'd help with the wind noise. I'm thinking about them for my own truck now...

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/WHYDTYTT-What-Have-You-Done-To-Your-Truck-Today-tp148p87611.html
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Tyler
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote

I don't know if it can be done with a Bullnose door, but I've bent the tops of doors in before. Roll the window all the way down, put your knee on the door and pull in on the top portion. If it's even possible on a Bullnose door, you'd probably have to remove the wing window and frame to do it. I dunno.
I don't have the secondary seal....yet.  I did consider trying to bend the door as you said but hadn't got the courage up.  Thanks for the info.
1985 F150 4x4 SB 300 I6: Comp 268 cam, '68 240 head, Offy DP, FI manifolds, Holley Sniper 2300, DUI street/strip distributor, BW T-18, Tuff Country 4" suspension lift, Yukon Offroad hubs + front and rear Duragrip LSD 3.73 ratio, 33-12.5/15s

Gear Vendors overdrive unit on order.

Oklahoma boy livin in Washington State.  Retired submarine MMNCM (Nuclear Machinist's Mate, Master Chief)
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote

Where's our body guy Dave? You out there Dave??...lol. (Edit...I just remembered that I can alert him...testing this feature now).
I am here

Jim is right the hinges can be moved up/down & in/out.
Now if you adjust the top hinge in to close the gap, may not need to move much because of where the hinge is to the top of the door (pivot point), it will kick the bottom of the door out also (pivot point again).

Cory is also right on what he posted.
Roll window down all the way, I would open the vent window so as not to "bend it" and then bend the top of the door in as needed.
The vent frame will make it a little harder to bend the door frame but it will bend.
You could remove the vent frame but you will need to remove the door glass to do so and that is a lot of work just to bend the top of the door frame.

You may want to try a little of both, adjust the hinge and bend the door.
Just know on the hinge you will need to loosen both upper & lower, upper more than lower, to get the top to move in.
It's up to you what one to do first? Because I am some what lazy I would try the "bend" first then the adjust the hinge.

BTW I think my right door sticks out the same way in that upper corner but I have not seen any rain water come in when driving the truck.
Good luck
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100