Door latch spring

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Door latch spring

PetesPonies
Has anyone found a solution for a door latch that seems to have a broken soring inside? You have two jaws that lock around the striker. When the latch is released, one jaw spring back, one is lazy :)  Seems a spring much have broken, but very hard to see inside.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Door latch spring

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've not had that experience.  Have you tried some form of lubrication?  Perhaps it is dry and that one doesn't want to move.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I would try some silicone spray in there also.
After blasting mine I had to move the jaws quite a bit to get the abrasive out of them. Even when clean they still had a hitch until I sprayed the silicone in there.

Hopefully that's it and you can avoid removing the door panel and dealing with the linkage.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
No they push back easily. It's not stuck. When you push the release, one snaps back , the other just sits there. YOu take your finger and push, it easily goes back.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
So little to no resistance at all?
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Yes, very easily. There's a small diameter spring inside that has to be there to retract the jaws,
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In that case, I'd say the solution is replacing the unit as a whole. I haven't heard of anyone dissecting one. I'd have to look at one of my spares but seem to recall tabs that I don't think would survive tampering.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
No you're not getting inside by taking it apart. But could maybe hook a spring. One I am asking about is a newer style which has a cable inside handle. So getting a new one isn't cheap like the older ones were/are. Same basic design of the latch though, operates the same.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco