25 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Don't Use Grease On Body Bushings!

Steve83
Banned User
Gary Lewis wrote
...the bottoms of the bushings were slipping to the side due to the grease and the top was going the other way.
I still wouldn't blame the grease - it can only ALLOW movement; it can't CAUSE it.  I'd take a closer look at the frame & sheet metal.  I bet at least one of them is twisted, causing the uneven forces that are moving the bushings.  Even without grease, over time, they'll eventually migrate to where they want to settle.  The grease just let that happen faster.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yesterday I was about to bolt the cab back on Dad's truck so went to the factory shop manual's Body section to get the torque spec's for the bushing retainers.  And on the same page I found this:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I know I am taking a tangent on Gary's thread but since it dealt with poly bushings...

I replaced all 6 of mine after gutting the cab but before taking it to the body shop. The bed is now 1/4 lower than the cab. The body shop hasn't torqued the cab bolts down yet but as has been mentioned - they don't seem like they will compress much if at all. Is it normal to have to shim the bed up after new poly bushings?
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think they'll compress 1/4" inch - w/o grease.  I didn't measure mine, but I think they came down about that much.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Ok great. I'll hold off on coming up with any shims or anything for now. Thanks
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio