classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
26 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Do You Like The New Navigation Menu?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Folks - Given the problems some were having with the navigation menu I've changed the layout of the site and have gone with the mobile-style menu for everyone.  I hope you like it, or at least don't hate it, but I think it will be more functional.

Also, there may be a few pages that have a cup of coffee or some other header on them.  I'm cleaning them up, but if you find one please tell me.
This poll is closed.   
This poll ended on .
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Do You Like The New Navigation Menu?

ctubutis
Initial impression is good (thank you!) we'll try this out and see what we find. :)
Reply | Threaded
|

mp470
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
It's a step in the right direction, but I think the button should be at the far left corner so all (or most of) the menu options can fit from left to right.  Also, instead of the subsequent options popping up underneath the first navigation bar, they should be drop downs, kind of like the previous one was.  Just my input.
1985 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0 EFI, RWD, 8.8 Axle
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I haven't tried it mobile as I really don't like trying to do websites on a 2.5 X 3 inch screen. I do like that it cleaned things up as the garagemahal links would expand if you got too close, this is much cleaner.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
So far so good. If we like this "step in the right direction" I can explore some others themes that help with the other things.

I agree that the Garagemahal links got in the way if you got too close, and this does seem to fix that.

Anyway, keep those cards and letters coming in!  👌

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Mixed review here, simply because I am a mobile user. I love it in every respect until I am editing within a text box and I need to scroll. The menu pulls down and leaves about 3/16" of the text box and I am left trying to scroll the tiny sliver of screen between the key pad and the menu. It can still be done but just barely. I'm not sure what to suggest as a fix, I'm just reporting my experience. The menu itself is awesome and very convenient.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jonathan - You are using an Android?  I'm on an iPhone and iPad and don't have any problems with the text box, much less the menu. In fact, for me the change may have fixed the text-box scrolling issue.

So, can you take a screenshot of the problem?  And tell me what device you are using?  And the browser?

And, if you are having problems I fear Jim will as well. So we will need to fix this one or find another approach. 😳

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Hi Gary, I am using iPhone 7 plus and Safari. Here is what I see when I go to edit my last post and scroll down (pulls down the menu bar).

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't understand why you have the Gary's Garagemahal always showing. Here's what I see from my iPhone 6 and Safari. I wonder if there's a setting?

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
On my old windows PC I like the menu now as I can see the full menu.
I don't know how it was before on a phone as I did not try but will try now and report back.
Thanks
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Dave.  Good to see you on.  Any progress on your truck?

Reply | Threaded
|

mp470
In reply to this post by Ford F834
It looks like you are in landscape mode, when you're in portrait, you should see more of the entry field as your keyboard will take up less space.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Are you saying that to Jonathan/Ford F834?

Reply | Threaded
|

mp470
In reply to this post by mp470
I should update my post to say that on mobile, the menu is perfect.  Using Android 7.1 with Firefox.
Reply | Threaded
|

mp470
Yes Gary. I try to reply to specific posts when I'm addressing one. Hopefully it shows up as such.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I should have looked.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
If I select the evtm it still pushes some text off the bottom of the page.
Also, perhaps it could have a little more opacity.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - Good catch.  But first, I've moved your comment from WHYDTYTT to Do You Like The New Navigation Menu?  I did that to keep all the comments together - hope that's ok.  Oh, and I changed the Subject so the emails will show correctly.

And, on the menu I reduced the character sizing from 15 to 11, which finally got everything for the 1986 EVTM on the page - on most of my devices.  This Windows machine shows it all, and my iPhone allows scrolling.  But on my iPad in portrait mode I don't get all of the words/selections.  However, if you turn it landscape you do see it all.

So, how 'bout your 'Droid?

On the opacity, let me make sure I understand - do you want the characters less black.  In order to test just a bit I have the first menu's style set to "Bold", and the sub-menu's style set to "Normal".  Beyond that I don't have many controls with this theme.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by mp470
Yes, that is in landscape mode. Unfortunately portrait mode is worse, about half of the screen is cut off. You really can't do anything unless it's in landscape orientation.

Reply | Threaded
|

mp470
Try Firefox, maybe it renders better. Mine looks pretty good in portrait. It's a 5.5" screen. You might also be able to reduce the size of your keyboard.  I also use SwiftKey keyboard which is also available for iOS and it's very customizeable.