Distributor Gear Question

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Distributor Gear Question

fords4life
So....Does anyone know what material was used for the distributor gears on the bullnose trucks?  Assuming they were cast iron, but thought I'd check.  One thing I didn't think about going to the '92 roller block was possibly needing to upgrade the distributor drive gear to steel which is $60-$90 if I buy the gear separate.  Might need to make a junkyard run for a 92+ distributor to steal the gear.....
1986 F-150 SC 2wd 4spd 302EFI Base Model all OEM motor/trans/emissions equipment.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Distributor Gear Question

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yeah.

It's hard to fathom that a bitty steel gear costs as much as a reman distributor, but there you go.  ðŸ™„
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

fords4life
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Yeah.

It's hard to fathom that a bitty steel gear costs as much as a reman distributor, but there you go.  ðŸ™„
Yeah that's pretty ridiculous....  Is there any easy way to tell the difference between a cast-iron and steel gear?
1986 F-150 SC 2wd 4spd 302EFI Base Model all OEM motor/trans/emissions equipment.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Cast surface?

You can tell by a spark test, but I wouldn't want to do that to a gear I'm going to use.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
In reply to this post by fords4life
If you're using the dizzy from a non roller cam engine in a roller cam engine then you will definitely need to change the gear to one that is compatible with a roller cam. Whether you buy a new gear or swap one   from a roller cam dizzy is up to you, but it is a must do item. If you go the junk yard swap route, you must verify that the engine you pull the dizzy from is a roller cam engine and not a non roller cam engine swapped into where a roller cam engine was originally.
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 AOD
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

fords4life
With all of the issues with the control modules on these distributors, anyone have any experience with brands of distributors, even if it is terrible and something to stay away from?  I'll be honest, I'm deep into my 30s and have never purchased a distributor.....
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I bought a remanufactured unit from Cardone.  Worked fine.  But I suspect that their's aren't held to the tightest specs.  So a Motorcraft would be a good choice if you want high quality.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

fords4life
Gary Lewis wrote
I bought a remanufactured unit from Cardone.  Worked fine.  But I suspect that their's aren't held to the tightest specs.  So a Motorcraft would be a good choice if you want high quality.
I haven’t been able to find a Motorcraft in stock.  Only a few of the components.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Have you considered rebuilding your own distributor?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

fords4life
No.  I was looking at new since the steel gear is $86.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Right, but bushings are cheap
I don't like the idea of running a gear that's already been mated to another gear, but it is what it is..

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

fords4life
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Right, but bushings are cheap
I don't like the idea of running a gear that's already been mated to another gear, but it is what it is..
I totally get that with a used one.  That’s why I’ve been looking at new as well.  I haven’t seen much in the way of parts for these, I’ll have to do some more looking.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
I think I just replied to your question on one of the FB groups.

I suggested calling Scott at Parkland Performance. I just got a custom curved DSII distributor from him for my 302. It didn't occur to me until after, but your distributor is not DSII, correct? This is an EFI truck with computer? In any case, it wouldn't hurt to call him...he may even have a distributor gear for you. I talked to him on the phone a few times and he was very helpful with my distributor. If he is not able to assist you, he can probably give you some good advice on what to do (or what to buy).

http://reincarnation-automotive.com/

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I seem to remember there being an issue with shaft lengths.
(Not 351-302) but that the internal hex broach for the oil pump can bottom out, or not get enough engagement, depending on which way you swap distributors.

Iirc later oil pump shafts were longer, and of course the 302 got a 1/4 shaft where the 351's is 5/16.

I may be far off base as Windsors are not my 'Special Interest' but I do think it's worth investigating the details, losing oil pressure or cracking your distributor because you didn't know better is going to be expensive.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

fords4life
Cory - That was me on FB and you are correct, I am EEC-IV with the distributor mounted control module.

ArdWrknTrk wrote
I seem to remember there being an issue with shaft lengths.
(Not 351-302) but that the internal hex broach for the oil pump can bottom out, or not get enough engagement, depending on which way you swap distributors.

Iirc later oil pump shafts were longer, and of course the 302 got a 1/4 shaft where the 351's is 5/16.

I may be far off base as Windsors are not my 'Special Interest' but I do think it's worth investigating the details, losing oil pressure or cracking your distributor because you didn't know better is going to be expensive.
I had looked at this a little bit previously when purchasing an oil pump priming tool and the oil pump intermediate shaft is the same for '86 and '92.  I would assume that the distributor length would be there same in that case.  Most of the aftermarket EFI distributors are also labeled '86-'93 so I think I'm ok.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well, you know more than I, and you've done due diligence.
Just wanted to throw it out there.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

fords4life
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Well, you know more than I, and you've done due diligence.
Just wanted to throw it out there.
I appreciate it.  I hadn't thought of the whole steel gear issue until just recently so I welcome the questions.  I'd rather have someone throw out the info for the assist even if it's something I've looked into.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jacob84
You might already know this but just in case- from 86 and up all 5.0 ho mustangs should have a dizzy with a steel gear and should have the tfi module on the dizzy which is what you need from my understanding but would need to double check if that'll work 100%. That could be an option, $65 on RockAuto. I've purchased a steel dizzy gear for about $35, if I remember correctly, on RockAuto. While mine was for a 351W by 85 or 86 the 302s and 351s had the same distributor shaft size so there should be some available.
Jacob,
84 F150 base model, New 95 roller 351w with 5.0 ho roller cam, Summit Racing Max EFI 500, and other toys, MSD DIS, C6 trans, 9 inch rear 3.50, reg cab, long bed, 4x4. 33s, 2.5" Rough Country lift.