Dirty cast wheels (how to clean?)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Dirty cast wheels (how to clean?)

scbill
From best I can find, these are 82 bronco cast. Don't look clearcoated, how is the best way to clean? I thought about beadblast, maybe 0000 steel wool and a cleaner. What cleaner should I use? Don't want to make a bigger job than I already have.

Thanks, Bill

1983 F100 XL 300, 6 cyl, aod, long bed
1961 E100 pickup, 289,C4
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Dirty cast wheels (how to clean?)

Steve83
Banned User
Blasting will do a better job of cleaning them than any cleaner will.  I certainly wouldn't use any steel on Aluminum - the tiny particles that break off & embed will rust, causing stains.  Either clearcoat them after blasting & blowing the dust off; or polish, rinse, dry, then clearcoat.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by scbill
I don't think they were coated from the factory from what I remember, and had what I would call a "raw" look.  So bead blasting them would work to clean them, but I'd use something like walnut hulls to do it as that will clean but not change the texture.  And, as Steve said, don't use steel shot to blast them.

I'm not sure polishing would be very easy.  Again, this is my remembrance, but I think they have a texture to them that will require a lot of sanding/polishing to smooth out enough to achieve a shine.

But, I may well be wrong.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

scbill
In reply to this post by scbill
OK....Meguiars as usual has a product that works really well, Meguiar's Hot Rims Aluminum Wheel Cleaner Spray, states on the directions for uncoated wheels. I have tried on one wheel using gray (fine grade) scotchs bright pad to scrub after soaking the prescribed time.  Looks a lot better.

On the same line...where can I find the center part of this type center cap, only need one, have all the caps, just one has the "badge" missing.

1983 F100 XL 300, 6 cyl, aod, long bed
1961 E100 pickup, 289,C4
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
scbill wrote
where can I find the center part of this type center cap...
JY or new aftermarket knockoffs.