Diesel losing prime with small leak

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Diesel losing prime with small leak

BlueMist
Hello, so it's been one thing after another with this truck, starter, fuel issues, bellhousing exploding, glow plugs...fuel issues again. But for right now I cannot for the life of me figure out where my small prime leak may be, I'm pretty sure it's in the engine bay at LEAST (i've replaced or checked lines, tank switch, sending units ect). it doesn't matter what temperature it is but it takes about 8 to 12 seconds of starter before it will run and after the first start it starts immediately all day long and runs great, no smoke coughing or anything until it sits overnight. One of my questions is where are all of the olive seals?

I figured I may ask on here before I pull the last of my hair out

Things that I know are good or have been replaced: Glow plugs, Tank switch, Fuel Pump, Return Fuel system, and the olive seals from filter to IP
The Bearded Lady- 1986 Ford F-250 With an N/A 6.9L IDI And T-19 Borg-Warner 4-Speed 4X4
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Diesel losing prime with small leak

grumpin
I would check the glow plugs again and only use Motorcraft or Beru, I believe is the manufacturer.

And check the glow plug system, the connecter block for the glow plugs will get burned up.

This sounds to me like some glow plugs aren't getting warm for start.

Edit: And I always used the block heater on a heavy duty appliance timer when cold, much better starts.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona