Did all Bullnose have single stage paint?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Did all Bullnose have single stage paint?

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary recently sent me a paint chart from a 1983 brochure. I was looking at the metallics, and wondered when Ford started using base coat /clear coat instead of single stage.

A quick google search turned up one guy who said he had a ‘87 crown Vic with factory bc/cc. I’ve definitely seen junkyard Bullnose with the nasty peeling, blistering clear-coat “scab” technology, but I had assumed they were all repaints. Did I assume wrong?
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Did all Bullnose have single stage paint?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
On the page for exterior paint (Exterior/Exterior Paint Codes) there's a little symbol of a circle with a slash through it that is to indicate "Clear Coat Colors".  I think that means those colors got a clear coat on top of them.

It looks like those are acrylic lacquers, and some are metallics.  But not all metallics got clear coated.   And not all of those clear coated were metallics.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Pebcak
In reply to this post by Ford F834
I've got the flaky dandruff all over the truck.

You can see it in the photo along the front fender.  It's all over the truck.  I actually have paint peeling to bare metal in the photo on the left and the truck bed itself.  No rust though.

1986 F150 XLT Lariat, 4X2, 351W, 1406 Edelbrock Carb - Currently going through an engine rebuild through a "Father/Son Project"
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
The original was single stage on my 1986.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thank you Gary! Once again the answer was already right here on the site. Since the MPC goes through ‘89 I see that most of the clear coated codes are for Bricknose years, but there are a (very) few metallics that had it in 1986. Extremely subtle year-to-year difference 😑
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Interesting!  I'll add that to the Y2Y differences page.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI