Deutsch vs Weather-pack what's your opinion

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Deutsch vs Weather-pack what's your opinion

crestfallinman
I was installing new taillights and noticed that the wiring is chewed up and t tapped to death. Not to mention the connectors are broken and barely holding on.

So i figured what better time to start a general discussion about new connectors!

The big players are Deutsch and Weather-pack. Looking to anyone have experience with one or both for some pros/cons to start swapping things out
1980 f100 Flareside 302/T19 2wd
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Deutsch vs Weather-pack what's your opinion

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I was installing Deustch connectors all day Saturday and half of Sunday.....

My buddy's motor coach now has enough auxiliary LED lighting to light up a base on the dark side of the moon!  (He is a Whelen distributor)

I have also used Weather-Pack, but bought into the Deustch system early and haven't found a reason to change.

I'm not going to argue the merits of one over the other, as both are well respected.
But if there's something you would ask, fire away.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by crestfallinman
Deutsch makes quite a bit of electrical related items. We use their removable pressure seal fittings at work, top notch stuff.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by crestfallinman
I don't have a preference, just some personal experience with both, and a tendency to use one over other.

We used Weather Pack's for John Deere work in my grandfather's shop, but he was also a Caterpillar dealer, and they mandated Deutsch connectors for their work.   Both are good products, and use is mostly personal preference.

Deutsch has a number of options depending on the application, but we used the DT-type most often.  They can handle 13 amps and are weatherproof, and have good strain relief.  They offer two coatings on pins, nickel and gold coated.  The nickel is adequate for any application I've encountered, and I've never seen corrosion in terminals even after a couple decades of use, although for low voltage applications, like O2 sensors, they recommend the gold.  They offer two types pins, stamped and solid.  We've always used stamped, they're cheaper, *but* depending on wire size you'll use, may need a wider set of crimpers for the stamped style (Edit- I checked the standard 4 point crimpers for the solid pins-, they are good for 12-20 awg, and should cover the range of wire sizes our trucks use that would be appropriate for Deutsch DT connectors).

Weather Pack is less diverse in their offerings for housing types-they offer single styles for 1-6 pin connections.   They are rated to 20 amps.  I also have not encountered strain relief issues as long as the appropriate seal size is used. I personally prefer the simplicity and single crimping tool, and the release tool works across the set of wire/pin sizes.  Pins are tin-plated.  I've used Weather Packs in submersion pump connections and not seen intrusion or corrosion.

Although the Deutsch DT's may offer a slightly smaller form factor in some configurations, I still use Weather Packs on my motorcycle.  and haven't had issues with space or fit.  I ride often, cover long distances, & ride 3 seasons out of the year, and the Weather Pack's haven't failed me, and I tend to find them less expensive than Deutsch kits and crimpers.  I've also never had an issue finding Weather Pack connectors on the road in small, rural locales.  The availability at Napa, John Deere or any tractor supply shop has proven itself useful a few times over the years.

That said, go with what you know and personally like.  Neither will be a "bad" choice.
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

crestfallinman
That was exactly the write-up I was looking for. This is my first experience with connectors beyond the cheapo ones.

I was mainly looking for ease of use, price, and availability

I know they are both very reputable but just because of your write-up I think I'm going with weather pak, there's a Napa within walking distance of my house and that would make life much easier

Thanks!
1980 f100 Flareside 302/T19 2wd