Dennis Carpenter Door Panels

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Dennis Carpenter Door Panels

CountryBumkin
I see that Dennis Carpenter site has the door panels in stock now (for a long time they where "coming"). I ended up buying a different brand (LMC I think) a few years back, but I'm not happy with them. They are a real hard plastic (ABS?) and don't fit that well. They never seem to stay tight to the door body either (the push pins are always pulling out).

So my question is - has anyone bought the Dennis Carpenter door panels?

The description says they used original Ford tooling (so they should be a perfect fit). Is the plastic used similar to the original? I still have my originals (but not usable) and I can tell the difference in the plastic from the (LMC) replacements and originals.

https://www.dennis-carpenter.com/en/trucks/interior/door-panels/

The photo in the link shows the color panel I want but it seems they are only being sold in black at this time. If the fit and material is the same as the originals, I could paint them.
-Mike
1982 F250 4x4 XLT Lariat, 460cid, 9.5:1, TFS 290 Street Port heads, Crane Hyd. Roller cam (278/286 adv.,216/224 @.050, .560"/.586" lift), Edelbrock Performer 460 intake, MSD Atomic TBI fuel injection, MSD 6AL ignition, MSD Billet distrib., Hedman headers, NOS Cheater system, 4" Suspension lift, 3" body lift, 4.56 gearing, 17x12.5Rx37 tires MT Baja ATZ-P3.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Dennis Carpenter Door Panels

grumpin
Haven’t used them.

But I’m skeptical on a “perfect” fit. I had to trim the original door panels on my 92 Bronco because they squeaked and rattled.

Bad fit from the factory. Maybe the bullnose panels are better.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by CountryBumkin
I have a feeling they are all probably made by the same company.

I think Dashtop makes most of this stuff and LMC, JBG, DC etc all are just the street  vendors.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's certainly true of the dash pads.  One company makes them and all the others sell them.  You can buy from the manufacturer, but it costs more.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

CountryBumkin
It's the type of plastic that I'm most interested in matching.

I don't know what kind of plastic Ford used back in the 80's but the replacement panels are much stiffer. The ones I got from LMC (or maybe it was Jeff's Bronco Graveyard) are so stiff, the paint has rubbed off where the panel wraps around form the upper glass edge (where the door lock button comes through) and curves down to the side.

If the panel made from factory tooling - so I expect to still have to trim it to fit?
-Mike
1982 F250 4x4 XLT Lariat, 460cid, 9.5:1, TFS 290 Street Port heads, Crane Hyd. Roller cam (278/286 adv.,216/224 @.050, .560"/.586" lift), Edelbrock Performer 460 intake, MSD Atomic TBI fuel injection, MSD 6AL ignition, MSD Billet distrib., Hedman headers, NOS Cheater system, 4" Suspension lift, 3" body lift, 4.56 gearing, 17x12.5Rx37 tires MT Baja ATZ-P3.
Reply | Threaded
|

MotorsportXLT
I have not put them in my Bronco yet, but they are very nice. They are definitely a lot better quality than the aftermarket stuff. They do look like the original Ford molds to me. I have had them in the box for 3 years now
Chris McGaugh
1982 F-150 XLS Flareside
1985 Bronco XLT "Lariat"
1986 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
1989 F-250HD XLT Lariat Super Cab
1994 F-150 XLT Lightning
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I have not purchased door panels from Dennis Carpenter, but I have read multiple times that they are far better than the brittle approximations from Coverlay, as sold through LMC. I don’t really like to link FTE here, but here is a thread from a gentleman who did buy Dennis Carpenter door panels plus his experiences.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1305459-plastic-door-panel-repair-sun-damage.html
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2