Dead on the Highway..

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Dead on the Highway..

swampedout
Driving the past couple weeks, the truck has been dying out under acceleration. Im thinking lack of fuel.
As I mentioned in my other posts, my front tank pump is very loud. When the truck dies, I cant hear the pump running at all.
Im going to replace my relays and go back through the rats nest of wires the previous owner left me with. Hopefully I can track it down, if I can recreate the circumstances where its cutting out. It will idle fine but sometimes dies while idling.
Im not ruling anything out: stuck choke maybe? Bad gas from only driving occasionally?
Will be doing new plugs and wires, dist cap and rotor, just to rule everything else out.
Anyways, it was rolling along at 55 to 60mph for a while but then felt a lack of power, then 10 min later the motor cut out. Waited 10 minutes and limped it another hour back home.

Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
 MSD Ignition. Airbag rear suspension
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Dead on the Highway..

FuzzFace2
Bad gas will not make the motor just die, only make it run like crap and that would show up mostly at idle and lack power. If the gas it really that bad it would not start.

You are going to need to do a little checking when it dies to know what path to go down for a fix, fuel or IGN.?

When it dies next time and it is safe to do so pop the lid on the air filter so you can look down into the carb.
If the choke is not open, it should be if up to temp, open it and look down in the carb and move the throttle.
You should see fuel squirt in the carb, if not its a fuel issue.

If that checks out that you will need to check for spark.
This can be a little harder as you said it will start right back up.
This is how a bad IGN. box acts up, dies open the hood to check what is wrong and it will start right back up. THe IGN. box heats up and stops working open the hood and let the heat out box cools off and it starts.
I would just replace the box and see what happens from there.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Dead on the Highway..

swampedout
Thanks for the tips!

Id like to narrow it down a little before I get the parts cannon warmed up.
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
 MSD Ignition. Airbag rear suspension
Whole buncha problems