Dash and Interior parts source

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Dash and Interior parts source

IDIBronco
This information may already be known, but I want to make sure everyone knows.

While looking in the local large truck (Semi) junkyard for parts for a company truck, I saw that ford used our bullnose style interiors up until about 1998 in the large trucks (F600, F700, etc.) when they switched to the "Super Duty" style cabs.  This means the gauge cluster bezels and dash parts cane be found at least a decade newer then the ones for our trucks.  I already grabbed a instrument cluster bezel and dash center bezel for the bronco.  As a bonus the center bezel has a space for some idiot lights to be added as well as an area meant for switches for accessories like locking diffs, lights, or anything you might find in a big truck.  You do loose your clock area, but I can live with that.  I intend to get some switches for accessories specific to my bronco (air compressor, glow plugs, lights, etc).  

The bezels I saw all matched the weave pattern in the molding of the bezel I had in my bronco when I got it.  Just a neat thought.  The gauges, HVAC and many other parts may work.  I also found a drivers kick panel vent to add to the bronco.  I also scoped a set of air ride seats and frames made to fit the ford cabs that I would love to swap into the bronco, but I suspect the broncos floor pan and the F700 regular cab have a slightly different contour.  Besides, they wanted a good sum of money for those seats that were out of my project budget at the moment.  Maybe I will run back and grab a dash pad and a few other goodies when my project budgets gets a little bigger again.  Perhaps the big trucks can be a treasure trove of parts for our trucks.
1985 Bronco
6.9 IDI
C6 T19
hydroboost brakes

8 Lug coil sprung D44ttb
10.25 3:55
warn classic bumper
8274 warn winch
Saginaw Conversion

1986 Ford F350 "Dump Truck"
6.9 IDI
T19
8'x12'x4' hydraulic dump bed
front mounted tow bar

1981 Ford F350 "Welding Truck"
300 I6
T18
Welders bed with hoist
onboard air
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Dash and Interior parts source

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think we knew the big trucks used those interior parts, but maybe not what years nor what might be available.  For instance, that center bezel might be really helpful on Big Blue, so can you take a pic of the upper area where the clock would have gone?  And, were there switches in there that could be used?

As for the weave pattern, there were actually small differences in the weaves, or at least the raised bead around the openings.  So can you give us a closeup of what you got?  And maybe compare that to yours on the Bronco?

And, what did you get those items out of?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
I think we knew the big trucks used those interior parts, but maybe not what years nor what might be available.  For instance, that center bezel might be really helpful on Big Blue, so can you take a pic of the upper area where the clock would have gone?  And, were there switches in there that could be used?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/80-89-1980-1989-Ford-Truck-F600-F700-Radio-Bezel-OEM/173854214022?hash=item287a84c786:g:FwYAAOSw~65cnPkt

Reply | Threaded
|

IDIBronco
In reply to this post by IDIBronco
I will try and take some decent pictures and post them up.  I got one center bezel that had the area completely blanked out without holes, and one that had a space for 2 switches already cut out.  
1985 Bronco
6.9 IDI
C6 T19
hydroboost brakes

8 Lug coil sprung D44ttb
10.25 3:55
warn classic bumper
8274 warn winch
Saginaw Conversion

1986 Ford F350 "Dump Truck"
6.9 IDI
T19
8'x12'x4' hydraulic dump bed
front mounted tow bar

1981 Ford F350 "Welding Truck"
300 I6
T18
Welders bed with hoist
onboard air
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That would be great.

Here's the one in the link David posted.  Looks to me like it would lend itself nicely to lighted switches, meaning ones that have dim glow when off and bright glow when on, across the bottom and a display across the top.

And, that display area might be perfect for the Arduino's output, the one that will interface the Bricknose sender(s) to the Bullnose fuel gauge, as well as provide all kinds of other info.  Thoughts on switches include:

Air Compressor: Clutch switch to a Tecumseh A/C compressor used as an air compressor.

High Idle: This is the PTO input to the ECU to raise the idle speed, which would be useful when winching for increased alternator output.

Battery Parallel: The aux battery relay I'll use won't always parallel the batteries, but it has the ability to force parallel.

Exterior Lights: I want to have various lights, like "fog" or "driving" lights as well as serious backup lights which might be too bright for normal driving.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI