8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Darth Project

85lebaront2
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Mine has grown from a little update (wanted to get rid of the carburetor and go to an overdrive automatic) to a complete redo of a lot. Truck is a 1986 F-350 crew cab dual rear wheel with a 460, C6 and 3:55 open rear with front disc, rear 12 X 2 1/2" drums. Now is an MAF/SEFI system and E4OD, still 3:55 rear, but traction-loc now and 12 X 3 1/2" drums. Interior is mostly from a 1996 Custom dually as are the Alcoa mags. Front seats are from a 2000 Lincoln Continental and once all the wiring is done will be memory/easy access. Other improvements are, keyless remote entry locks, automatic headlamps, auto dimming day/night mirror with compass, backup camera, Panansonic radio with bluetooth for my cell phone, and in the works and automatic climate control system.

I am able to use one of the old Kelsey-Hayes hydraulic brake controllers ($60) instead of the high dollar ones needed now.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Darth Project

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bill - Would you do the fuel injection system the way you've done it if you were to do it again?  Or would you go aftermarket - especially if not running the E4OD?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I might go aftermarket, but a true port injection system was not available at the time I started this project. I did not want a GM style TBI system, to me they are nothing more than a pressure carburetor (WWII aircraft style). Since I bought a parts donor (a 1990 F-250) I had everything needed for a speed density system and the E4OD control. It was when I wanted to go mass air and SEFI that the fun started. Some people have used Mustang EECs, but they won't work with the E4OD. That put it into the $$$$$ range to get a standalone transmission controller.

After asking for any help at all, since I really didn't want to be buzzing a 460 up like a 302 or having the trans drop out of lockup and downshift if you sneezed on the gas pedal, I finally was contacted by a group that specializes in tuning the Ford EECs, primarily the EEC-V. I can direct flash mine, and have 3 spare EECs on hand if needed, including an actual California spec FEZ3 box. Having stock Ford components helps for spare parts.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good to know.  I'm not ready to change Big Blue, but if we ever decide to
get serious with him I might want to go EFI.  Thanks.

On Sun, Aug 13, 2017 at 9:58 PM, 85lebaront2 [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <
ml+s12971n271h85@n8.nabble.com> wrote:

> I might go aftermarket, but a true port injection system was not available
> at the time I started this project. I did not want a GM style TBI system,
> to me they are nothing more than a pressure carburetor (WWII aircraft
> style). Since I bought a parts donor (a 1990 F-250) I had everything needed
> for a speed density system and the E4OD control. It was when I wanted to go
> mass air and SEFI that the fun started. Some people have used Mustang EECs,
> but they won't work with the E4OD. That put it into the $$$$$ range to get
> a standalone transmission controller.
>
> After asking for any help at all, since I really didn't want to be buzzing
> a 460 up like a 302 or having the trans drop out of lockup and downshift if
> you sneezed on the gas pedal, I finally was contacted by a group that
> specializes in tuning the Ford EECs, primarily the EEC-V. I can direct
> flash mine, and have 3 spare EECs on hand if needed, including an actual
> California spec FEZ3 box. Having stock Ford components helps for spare
> parts.
> "Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional"
> 1986 F-350, 2011 Flex
>
>
> ------------------------------
> If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion
> below:
> http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/Darth-Vader-tp246p271.html
> To start a new topic under Projects, email ml+s12971n74h78@n8.nabble.com
> To unsubscribe from Bullnose Enthusiasts, click here
> <http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=unsubscribe_by_code&node=1&code=amFuZXlhbmRnYXJ5QGdtYWlsLmNvbXwxfC04NTk0MzgxNDY=>
> .
> NAML
> <http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>
>

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
If you do, I will have a set of early (1988-1992) heads from Darth's current engine and a set of .030 cut late (1993-1997) heads that unfortunately have a broken bolt hole on one exhaust port. I also will have two spare intake manifolds and plenums with one throttle body, EGR valve etc. At the point I swap engines, I will have the current engine harness also.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, thanks!

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm liking the detailed discussion of how you transformed Darth - especially the part about the EEC-V.

On that subject, it looks like what Mark/Dyn Blin found at the salvage in the way of intake plumbing will work.  In other words, I think I can use the wye he found to go from the single large hose coming from the MAF to the two smaller hoses going into the throttle body.  But, I won't really know until I get the engine mounted.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
See the pictures I added of the air inlet systems I have used.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile