classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Dana 60 (stuck!) wheel bearing removal

doni10
Hello people,

Have been trying to change the bearings on my truck and have hit an impasse.
My axle 's a Dana 60 semi-floater, got as far as trying to bang the bearings out with a slide hammer and t-piece attachment. However it did NOT wanna go anywhere! worse, somehow, which i don't fully understand, the t-piece is stuck as well now - won't even move forwards

Anyway, not wanting to mess up the whole thing, i called a mobile mechanic out to see if he could help...
he couldn't. His only thoughts were/are heating up the axle tubes/dremeling the thing. However both methods will have to wait until i've drained the lpg tank which sits just behind.
Also in his original efforts with a drill, he's managed to leave a few scratches on the inside of the tube. - see the tube and around the base of the bearing itself. i know !
they're not too deep, but neither do i think they'll sand out easy....

So in this little pause while my lpg tanks are draining i thought i'd ask you guys if you had any ideas (other than knock the 'mechanic' on the head with a monkey wrench) on the matter?

They'd certainly be much appreciated!

Thanks
1981 F-250 camper, 4.9l inline 6, RWD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Dana 60 (stuck!) wheel bearing removal

grumpin
Heating it is a good idea. Nothing else comes to mind at the moment.

Other than getting at it from the inside, which seems impossible.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce moose4x4
I would think you have the wrong t piece, to wide, especially if it is stuck and will not go either way. Take a punch and drive one end of the t piece back into the axle. That should free it up. I assume you already have the new bearing? Take the t piece and put it on the new bearing and see if it just fits on the outside of the bearing. The bearing should come out fairly easy with the correct puller.
The scratchs on the seal surface are no big deal. On seals that run right next to oil or lube I always take my finger and smear a real thin coat of RTV before installation.
Good Luck, hopefully by now you have the situation remedied.
Bruce aka Moose--1978 F250 LWB Flareside, Dana 60's w/ 4:10's, 460, c6
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by doni10
One thing I find works magic with races that don't have a lip showing on the back of the pocket (or in your case, you can't get a punch at it at all) is to run a hot bead of weld around the race.
When the weld cools and shrinks the race will sometimes just fall right out.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

doni10
In reply to this post by Bruce moose4x4
Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the advice. turns out you were absolutely right. The inner diameter of the axle tube behind/inside the bearing is less than outside and my t-piece was actually stuck slightly diagonally across. I knocked back one side and got it out, then cut down the t a bit so that it now sits within the tube flush against the bearing edges and!.......
the little bastard still doesn't wanna move!
am gunna try and get myself a bigger slide hammer possibly with a blowtorch as well.
Will get there eventually! It's definitely moving forwards at least!

also jim, thanks for the weld tip. duly noted!
Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce moose4x4
Glad I could help, with the t piece you have you could get a piece of flat bar stock and drill a hole in it. span the bearing hole and use the nut on the t piece to pull with. If that makes sense?
Bruce aka Moose--1978 F250 LWB Flareside, Dana 60's w/ 4:10's, 460, c6
Reply | Threaded
|

doni10
This post was updated on .
Hey bruce,

Just to let u know i tried ure suggestion of the flatbar.... it bent the flatbar.
then i doubled up the flatbar.... it bent the two flat bars.
Then i got an industrial strength section of steel channel WITH the two flat bars....... it bent the t-piece!!

however alls well that ends well!!...

ended up grinding it out!

Needless to say the new ones not exactly in easy either!!
Next time this job comes around it's definitely going to the garage!

Thanks again for your help :)
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
Now that you have it out, clean up where the bearing seats with some fine emory cloth or even some 220 grit sand paper, get all of the rust and grime out of there. Then coat the new bearing with some NEVER Sieze. That will make it go in easer and make it easer for the next guy to get it out. You never know, the next guy might even be you.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Damn, that's almost as bad as what I had a number of years ago. Apparently in driving through some flooded areas after Hurricane Floyd, water got into the left rear wheel bearings. That fall on his way to the Vietnam Veterans Haunted Forest in Norfolk VA, the left duals locked up on my son, followed by some screeching from there. When I got the truck home and removed the left side wheels, and brake drum I could see evidence of a lot of heat on the inner part of the hub. Once I got it off I found the inner bearing was pretty well destroyed and had actually spun on the axle tube.

My supervisor at work had been an apprentice millwright, he stopped by and looked at and the next day set me up with the correct tools and supplies needed to hand work it in place. Other then needing a new seal every year as it would seep enough to fail VA state inspection, I ran it that way until I switched the entire assembly after building a 3.55 limited slip replacement.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I find that running a hot and heavy bead of weld around the race will usually shrink enough when it cools to end up with tolerance instead of the interference fit.

Sometimes the race you can't get behind just falls right out.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.