classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
47 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

DSO, FSO, LPO, and Regional vs District Offices

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Folks - I need your help thinking through something.  So please read the explanation below and let me know if you agree with my understanding.

I think I've just understood something that has confused me for some time.  And that has to do with the term "DSO".  A few years ago Bill/NumberDummy told me that it stands for District Sales Office or Domestic Special Order.  And while that appears to be true, I didn't understand how one spot on the certification label could serve both functions.  But, I think I now understand.

The master parts catalog says this on Page 12:

D.S.O.. F.S.O. or L.P.O. (SPECIAL ORDERS)
The District Code number will appear in the D.S.O. space on the Certification Label for all units including regular production. Always furnish appropriate Certification Label information and D.S.O. Number, if applicable, when ordering parts not listed in the catalog. If the unit is D.S.O., F.S.O. or L.P.O. (Special Order), the complete Order Number will appear in the D.S.O. space in addition to the District Code Number.

And on the next two pages it explains that:

D.S.O. = Domestic Special Order
F.S.O. = Foreign Sales Office
L.P.O. = Limited Production Option

So, here's my understanding of the above.  For regular production vehicles the District Code will show in the DSO spot on the certification label.  But for domestic or foreign special orders or orders with limited production options the DSO, FSO, or LPO code will appear there in addition to the District Code.

But, the verbiage in the catalog that is supposed to explain how the DSO # on the certification label works is confusing to me.  It says:

DISTRICT CODES
THE CODE SHOWN ABOVE OR BELOW "D.S.O." IDENTIFIES
THE DISTRICT WHICH ORDERED THE UNIT.

But that's not quite true since a special order (DSO, FSO, or LPO) number could be there as well, and that would confuse things significantly.

Do you agree with my new-found understanding?  If so, I will upgrade the explanation on the certification label page.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: DSO, FSO, LPO, and Regional vs District Offices

Rembrant
Gary Lewis wrote
A few years ago Bill/NumberDummy told me that it stands for District Sales Office or Domestic Special Order.  
My take is that the DSO indicates District Sales Office, and that only. If the vehicle is also a Domestic Special Order, then the full vehicle order number will also be included with the DSO number. It is weird that they used the same acronym for both...but the DSO on the tag is for the District Sales Office only imho.

The vehicle could also be a special order, but that only shows up as extra digits?
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
According to the text in my 84 FSM, the D.S.O. technically refers only to the District Sales Office. If the vehicle is also a special order, then there will be extra numbers there, but the D.S.O. is still referencing the district.

Same verbiage here, more or less...

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Your FSM's verbiage is essentially the same as the MPC's, which I copy/pasted above.  And yet it never truly says that DSO = District Sales Office.  It says that the "district code" will appear in the DSO space.  But the MPC specifically says that DSO = Domestic Special Order.

So I think that Bill was wrong when he said that DSO stands for District Sales Office or Domestic Special Order.  The term "district sales" does not appear in the master parts catalog, much less "district sales office".  Not even "district office".  Just "district code".  So, I think DSO always means "Domestic Special Order" in official Fordspeak.  The employees may well have used the term DSO to mean district sales office, but the publications don't support that, and it is the publications we are trying to interpret.

Let me say this another way.  According to what I read the appropriate terminology is:

District Code, which is a two-digit code indicating the district office from which the order originated

DSO = Domestic Special Order

FSO = Foreign Special Order

LPO = Limited Production Option

But, the confusion arises because Ford used the "DSO" space on the certification label in 4 ways:

1. To indicate the district office which placed the order if no special order existed

2. To indicate the domestic special order number plus the district office that ordered it

3. To indicate the foreign special order number plus the district office that ordered it

4.  To indicate the limited production option number plus the district office that ordered it

UPDATE: I do have one publication that says DSO = District Sales Office.  This is from the 1981 FSM on the page shown.  However, my 1985 FSM does not say DSO = District Sales Office and I think the 1981 FSM is in error.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary, I will need to look at the 1986 manuals, FWIW, Darth has 23 in the DSO location.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Gary Lewis wrote
So I think that Bill was wrong when he said that DSO stands for District Sales Office or Domestic Special Order.  The term "district sales" does not appear in the master parts catalog, much less "district sales office".  Not even "district office".  Just "district code".  So, I think DSO always means "Domestic Special Order" in official Fordspeak.  
Marti says it refers to the District Sales Office.

http://www.martiauto.com/faqfocus.cfm?qid=24

I was wondering something. Does the DSO ever show only the 2 digit district number? Or are there always numbers above the district number?
Mine is showing as "B3", which is correct for Atlantic Canada, but there are two rows of numbers above that.

I went at looked at some other Bullnose data tags, and they all have two rows of numbers above the district number as well.

My rationale in saying that the DSO stands for District Sales Office is that every vehicle built had a district sales office, but not every vehicle built was a domestic special order.

But to that point...was every vehicle built a vehicle that was ordered by a district? See in the Marti notes that Ford wanted the dealers to order vehicles on a steady basis, so if that is the way it worked, then every vehicle could be considered a domestic special order, couldn't it?

I assume Ford did build plenty of trucks to just random specs, for potential orders?

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
I was wondering something. Does the DSO ever show only the 2 digit district number? Or are there always numbers above the district number?
Mine is showing as "B3", which is correct for Atlantic Canada, but there are two rows of numbers above that.

I went at looked at some other Bullnose data tags, and they all have two rows of numbers above the district number as well.
Oh...never mind, I see that the other numbers above the DSO are referencing the axle capacities.

So, my DSO is only shown as "B3", which is the region and nothing more.

Carry on.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, dealerships ordered vehicles, but the vast majority were not "special orders".  Very few were Domestic Special Order, Foreign Special Order, or Limited Production Option.  So they just had the district code showing on them.  My understanding is that things like Police Interceptors were DSO.

As for what Marti says, I believe they are wrong.  I've done a lot of reading on this, and with rare exception the Ford documentation says that DSO is Domestic Special Order.  For instance, this excerpt from a '65 FSM.

Or, take this excerpt from the Ford Mustang Red Book:

Anyway, let's keep bouncing this around as I'd like to find a definitive answer.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Gary Lewis wrote
As for what Marti says, I believe they are wrong.  I've done a lot of reading on this, and with rare exception the Ford documentation says that DSO is Domestic Special Order.  
Gary, I'm taking the other side of the coin on this one (all in good fun of course...lol).

The way I perceive it, is that the DSO slot on the door jamb data tag would have nothing but the 2-digit district sales office number there probably 90% of time, if not more often. If a vehicle is a special order (DSO, LPO, or FPO) then those numbers would be in addition to the district number.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, the numbers in the DSO slot are far more often going to reference the district sales office than a domestic special order. And, to take it even further, if a vehicle was an LPO or FPO, then all of the digits in that slot would have nothing at all to do with a domestic special order.

However, I did read in my searches that prior to 1962, there was no district code, so the DSO slot was either left empty for a normal production vehicle, or it had digits IF the vehicle was a special order.

It's interesting indeed.

I think what you may find is that the true definition of DSO, at least when talking about the door data tags, changed and morphed over the years, so BOTH definitions of DSO are probably true it just depends on  what vehicle you're looking at.

Since my 1984 F150 is clearly not a special order of any kind, I'm stickin' to my guns that the DSO is the District Sales Office;).

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Let's see how many Ford documents we can find that say "district sales office" vs "domestic special order".  I'll keep score, and right now I know of 1 (the 1981 FSM) that says district sales office and 4 (your 1984 FSM, my 1985 FSM, the 1980-89 MPC, and the 1983 dealers fact book) that say "domestic special order.

I'll check my '81 and '82 dealer facts books and I'll bet it is 6:1.  Bill, check your '86 FSM and I think we'll be at 7:1.  Now if we can find '80, '82, '83, & '84 FSM's plus more of the dealer facts books maybe we can complete the picture.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Gary,

This is an interesting read, if the link works...

https://books.google.ca/books?id=LWkvKdVMGaEC&pg=PA21&lpg=PA21&dq=car+dealer+dso&source=bl&ots=AhkHZCCcBP&sig=6ko5LsvhzLcRvha3UrhMTRbcWoo&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiE6om4npPcAhXppVkKHUspABcQ6AEIVTAF#v=onepage&q=car%20dealer%20dso&f=false

Maybe you're right, and the district number is always just part of the Domestic Special order.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Really interesting, because I had one on those 1966 GT350s, SFM 6S2050 Interesting how they were built, then rebuilt by Shelby. Side note, the original Ford VIN is stamped upside down on the block behind the alternator and the Ford stamped in VIN is covered up by the Shelby American VIN plate. The Shely stamped in VIN is on the right side opposite where Ford stamped it. On the back of the driver's door the holes are there for the Ford VIN plate, but nothing was ever there. Door sills have CS on them instead of Ford.

Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Gary Lewis wrote
Your FSM's verbiage is essentially the same as the MPC's, which I copy/pasted above.  And yet it never truly says that DSO = District Sales Office.  It says that the "district code" will appear in the DSO space.  But the MPC specifically says that DSO = Domestic Special Order.

So I think that Bill was wrong when he said that DSO stands for District Sales Office or Domestic Special Order.  The term "district sales" does not appear in the master parts catalog, much less "district sales office".  Not even "district office".  Just "district code".  So, I think DSO always means "Domestic Special Order" in official Fordspeak.  The employees may well have used the term DSO to mean district sales office, but the publications don't support that, and it is the publications we are trying to interpret.

Let me say this another way.  According to what I read the appropriate terminology is:

District Code, which is a two-digit code indicating the district office from which the order originated

DSO = Domestic Special Order

FSO = Foreign Special Order

LPO = Limited Production Option

But, the confusion arises because Ford used the "DSO" space on the certification label in 4 ways:

1. To indicate the district office which placed the order if no special order existed

2. To indicate the domestic special order number plus the district office that ordered it

3. To indicate the foreign special order number plus the district office that ordered it

4.  To indicate the limited production option number plus the district office that ordered it

UPDATE: I do have one publication that says DSO = District Sales Office.  This is from the 1981 FSM on the page shown.  However, my 1985 FSM does not say DSO = District Sales Office and I think the 1981 FSM is in error.  

My 1986 FSM is the same as this.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant - It is an interesting read, but I think it is a mix of truth and fiction and I don't know where one starts and the other stops.  However, one fiction is that "every car ever built by Ford was in fact a special order".  We've already shown that several Ford official documents say that "If the unit is regular production only the district code number will appear".  So, to Ford the orders from the district offices were "regular production" and not a special order.

And another proof that all orders were not "special orders" is the recurring statement in many of our books that any "special order" will have the complete number shown in the DSO spot.  But yet we don't seem to have any trucks with big, long numbers in that spot.  Just regular production trucks with the two-digit district code in that spot.

I am constantly amazed at what gets published in books.  Years ago I picked up the Red Book for Dodge Super Bees, and hadn't gotten very far and found a statement that all Super Bees had bright exhaust tips.  Not true, and I had one that didn't have.  In fact, I've shown with Chrysler publications that some Bees didn't get them.  And, I found a survivor at Carlisle, PA w/o bright tips - which Galen Govier, the MOPAR guru, documented.

Similarly, I found that George Reid's book on "Cleveland Engines" has a number of mistakes.  He says in it that he interviewed Tim Meyer, so I chatted with Tim about it and he agreed it has a number of mistakes.

The bottom line is that all books have mistakes in them - with the exception of the Bible, and even then man has introduced changes or interpreted it incorrectly.  And that's why I'm wanting to compile a list of what Ford publications say about DSO.

Grumpin - Thanks.  We are now at 5 saying DSO is Domestic Special Order and 1 that says District Sales Office - although that one also uses DSO to mean "special order", and if FSO means Foreign Special Order then DSO must mean Domestic Special Order.  

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
"And that's why I'm wanting to compile a list of what Ford publications say about DSO."

I appreciate and applaud your efforts!

Just hope you don't end up in the looney bin in the process!
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This post was updated on .
This will serve as our score sheet, and I'll come back and update it as new info is found:

Ford official publications saying that DSO is anything but Domestic Special Order:
1980 Factory Shop Manual: Page 10-00-11 says "District Sales Office (DSO) Code"
1981 Factory Shop Manual: Page 10-00-16 says "District Sales Office (DSO) Code"
1985 Factory Shop Manual: Page 10-00-21 says "District Sales Office (DSO) Code"
1986 Factory Shop Manual: Page 10-00-20 says "District Sales Office (DSO) Code"

Ford official publications saying that DSO is Domestic Special Order:
1981 Light Trucks Facts Organizer: Page 7 in General Information defines DSO as "domestic special order"
1982 Light Trucks Facts Organizer: Page 9 in General Information defines DSO as "domestic special order"
1983 Light Trucks Facts Organizer: Page 9 in General Information defines DSO as "domestic special order"
1980-1989 Master Parts Catalog: Page 12 defines DSO as "domestic special order"

Grumpin or Bill - Do your 1986 FSM's say "District Sales Office (DSO) Code" on Page 10-00-21 or there abouts?  I'll bet they do.

That being the case, I think it is basically a draw - the FSM's say DSO is District Sales Office and the facts organizers and MPC define DSO as "domestic special order".  I'd still like to gather more examples, but I am now coming to the conclusion that Bill was right and I was wrong - Ford used DSO to mean both "district sales office" and "domestic special order".  

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Gary Lewis wrote
This will serve as our score sheet, and I'll come back and update it as new info is found:

Ford official publications saying that DSO is anything but Domestic Special Order:
1980 Factory Shop Manual: Page 10-00-11 says "District Sales Office (DSO) Code"
1981 Factory Shop Manual: Page 10-00-16 says "District Sales Office (DSO) Code"
1985 Factory Shop Manual: Page 10-00-21 says "District Sales Office (DSO) Code"

Ford official publications saying that DSO is Domestic Special Order:
1981 Light Trucks Facts Organizer: Page 7 in General Information defines DSO as "domestic special order"
1982 Light Trucks Facts Organizer: Page 9 in General Information defines DSO as "domestic special order"
1983 Light Trucks Facts Organizer: Page 9 in General Information defines DSO as "domestic special order"
1980-1989 Master Parts Catalog: Page 12 defines DSO as "domestic special order"

Grumpin or Bill - Do your 1986 FSM's say "District Sales Office (DSO) Code" on Page 10-00-21 or there abouts?  I'll bet they do.

That being the case, I think it is basically a draw - the FSM's say DSO is District Sales Office and the facts organizers and MPC define DSO as "domestic special order".  I'd still like to gather more examples, but I am now coming to the conclusion that Bill was right and I was wrong - Ford used DSO to mean both "district sales office" and "domestic special order".  

Yes, page 10-00-20, at the top it says District Sales Office (DSO) and Wheelbase (WB) Codes.
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, grumpin.  I've changed the scorecard.  It is a dead-heat at the moment.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Gary,

I know you're looking for Ford documentation, but if you look at the snippet below from my '84 FSM, it shows what would be a pretty accurate description of what is in the DSO box. DSO = D/SO, or District/Special Order Codes. So, the "D" is always the district, which is always there, and the SO, if applicable refers to a DSO, FPO, or LPO.

Just thought I'd throw it out there as a wild card. That description makes sense based on what info is actually in the DSO box, but it's not the official Ford documentation that you're seeking of course.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've never seen, or maybe noticed, the "/" in a publication.  Where did you find that?  What page?  I'd like to check my FSM's.

And, isn't an FSM official Ford Documentation?