DIN help/installation

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

DIN help/installation

Danny G
Ok so when I bought the truck it had an aftermarket cd player in it. They had one of the metal din boxes attached to the bezel. This just caused sqeakig and noise in the cab as the radio flexed the bezel.  I'm sure this is not the right way for this.

I noticed these u nuts behind the bezel. Is there a din box that attaches here? It would seem more plausible and a better way to support the stereo.

1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: DIN help/installation

FuzzFace2
Kind of hard to see in this picture but the factory radio uses them

From what I under stand depending on year truck & radio there were 2 different radio brackets.
There is also a rear bracket that supports the back of the radio and is a slip in type bracket.

I posted something over on FTE https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1598160-anyone-have-a-custom-stereo.html
On how I think I would go about mounting the newer type of radios in our trucks.
Then again I like the look of the factory radio. My radio & brackets I understand is of the 87> type mounted in my 81 F100 flare side. I got lucky and got everything off Ebay as a set, even the pig tails to splice it into my trucks harness as they cut the wires & broke the dash to get the radio out before I got the parts truck.
Dave ----

edit: I just remembered the 2 brackets.
The early type is like a sheet metal plate that has the holes & pin to screw it to the dash.
Mine has 2 brackets (1 each side) that bolt to the side of the radio that have the holes & pin to mount to the dash.

Mine also has a 3rd bracket off the rear for that slip in support.
I don't know what the early ones have but guessing the same type.
I think Gary listed this at one time when I was looking to see what was used and I kept seeing the flat plate type and why I listed it in the link above.
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Danny G
Yes, there is/was a bracket and it looks like this.  Note the holes in the sides that then should go to the bracket supplied by the radio manufacturer.

Here's how it was done on Big Blue, which is wrong.  Instead of attaching the radio's bracket, which you can see surrounding the radio, to the truck's bracket they bent those tabs out, which sorta attaches that bracket to the bezel.  So, just like in your truck, the bezel is the mounting point for the radio.  And all of the weight is hung out behind.  Plus, it is a sloppy fit so the radio bounces on each bump.  

But that'll get changed in the transformation.  The radio's bracket will be attached to the truck's bracket and the radio will then snap into its bracket.  And the bezel will just be a trim piece that covers things.  And to do that I'll probably turn to Crutchfield.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Danny G
I found a bracket for another vehicle, and modified it, the dash, & the bezel for what I wanted.  Read this & the NEXT few captions:

Even with only 1 screw, and the added weight of 1.5 DIN, it never squeaked or shifted.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
Dave, I have an '87 and I just screw the plastic 'T' bracket to the back of any DIN radio.

Sometimes the holes in front for the tabs leave the head unit shy of the factory bezel.
In that case I just (carefully) drill and tap holes X dimension back, so the face ends up where I want it.

I really love the Bricknose setup.

The printed flex cables, not so much.
Be sure to use an amp and no problem, but you can't push much through the stock harness.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
“Stock harness”?

You guys and your fancy trucks that came with radios lol.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
I was thinking about building a custom box out of abs for a hot second but looks like there are retro kits available to use those mounting points.

1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
For that price you can't even think about making it.  Good find.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
“Stock harness”?

You guys and your fancy trucks that came with radios lol.
Not all of us have a sweet sounding v8 to listen to.
My six is so quiet I hear the voices in my head  so I had to add the radio back in.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100