classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

D44 spindle puller for 1/2-20?

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I've got a front U-joint that's pumping rust. (I still like greaseable joints)

Does anyone know of a puller that fits my 10# 1/2-20 slide hammer.

I'm looking at the Sunex 10208.
Maybe I should just buy a 5/8 slide hammer?

Comments and advice welcome.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: D44 spindle puller for 1/2-20?

85lebaront2
Administrator
Jim, I don't know if my D44 service kit includes a spindle puller. The only thing I know it is missing is the inside seal installer (I keep looking for one that is reasonable).
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Removing the spindle off the axle housing?
I've just use heat, pops right off.
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I've always gone across the street and borrowed Tony's, but he retired.

Gary used a piece of bar stock, the spindle nut, and two threaded bolt holes to pull the spindle out of the upright.

Maybe I'll go that route if I can't find one to fit my slide hammer.

Or, I could just weld a 1/2-20 nut on the cheapest spindle socket I can find.
That's probably easiest.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I recently found out why the spindles and knuckles on the '95 D60 were so hard to get apart when the ones on Dad's D44 were easy to take apart.  As I was prep'ing for reinstalling the spindles I tried to put them in the knuckles, to no avail.  So I put the spindles in the lathe a used sandpaper to get the rust off of the part that goes into the knuckle, and used a sandpaper drum in my drill to clean the inside of the knuckles.  And they still wouldn't go easily.

On closer inspection I found that someone had used a chisel when trying to remove the spindles.  And instead of just prying the two pieces apart the chisel got into the spindle itself and increased the diameter slightly, but just enough to make them not want to go in.  So I took a file to the offending spots and got the parts to go together nicely.

I say all of that to say that I'm going to use anti-seize when they go back together.  I do not want rust in there again.

Anyway, Jim, I got lost on the idea of a 1/2" nut welded to the spindle socket.  How does the socket hold to the spindle?  I'm missing something that must be obvious.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I should say a spindle puller (that looks like an impact socket)

Most I see are threaded 5/8, and probably I should just get a bigger slide hammer.

At least this truck is mine, so I know Hamm Fist & Jack Legg haven't been at it with chisels and drilling hammers
 Jim,