Crankcase Breather Hose (?)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Crankcase Breather Hose (?)

JMUBullnose
Good Monday to y'all!  Was looking over the engine bay yesterday during some downtime and got to wondering about the hose going from the crankcase breather and the crankcase breather element. Is it usually a one piece deal or mulit-piece? The one on my truck seems to be...multiple pieces with foam unions. Don't know if this is something my grandfather put together with my great uncle or what - what I do know is that it likes to leak a bit/has oil on the inside of it when I've had it come apart.

Anyone know a part number/replacement source if this is supposed to be one piece?

Also - anyone know the best way to keep the images from rotating? I took the photo with the phone in portrait mode, not landscape mode!

Cheers!
1984 F-150, 302 CID (5.0 L) Windsor V8, 2 BBL carb, power windows added, remote entry added. AC. Automatic Transmission.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Crankcase Breather Hose (?)

Gary Lewis
Administrator
First, most forums don't have the smarts to figure out the orientation of pictures.  But if you open the pic with something like Photoshop it'll figure it out and all you have to do then is to save it.

As for the hose, it should be one piece, and it is just a section of hose cut from a reel of it.  Looks like 9/16" ID and about 16" long from the catalog.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
The man! Thanks Gary!

I'll start checking the images via photoshop, etc. Built in picture app on the PC must be auto rotating it to the landscape position.

On the hose - I'm guessing it's a generic vacuum or other rubber hose I should be able to pick up from the Auto Parts store...
1984 F-150, 302 CID (5.0 L) Windsor V8, 2 BBL carb, power windows added, remote entry added. AC. Automatic Transmission.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by JMUBullnose
JMUBullnose wrote
Is it usually a one piece deal or mulit-piece?
Your original looked just like this. Original piece from my 1984 302 pictured.

No sizing on the hose, just says Motorcraft.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
Does look like a formed hose rather than stock off a roll. Reinforced too, and obviously oil resistant. Still, a simple curve and no reason why bulk stock of the correct diameter and material would not work.

I see you buy stock in Timmy's too!
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
NotEnoughTrucks wrote
Does look like a formed hose rather than stock off a roll. Reinforced too, and obviously oil resistant. Still, a simple curve and no reason why bulk stock of the correct diameter and material would not work.

I see you buy stock in Timmy's too!
Good point, yes it is like a formed hose now that you mention it.

LOL on the Tims. That particular cup wasn't mine...but yes, I am a patron;).
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Rembrant
I had to make one for my truck with a 300 six.
The hose I got from Auto Zone, off a bulk roll, is made for just that, vacuum & oil.

If you were to use say normal fuel line or heater hose the oil will break the rubber down and you get what you have now.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100