Crank Pulley Bolt

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Crank Pulley Bolt

DH166
Having a whale of a time with the crank pulley bolt on the 81 Custom. It's a 4.9 and I've pulled the engine and got it on a stand. So, I can't put a breaker bar on it with the handle under another part and bump the engine. I've soaked in PB Blaster and run the impact on it for literally minutes at a time, with more soakings of PBB. I've wedged my longest screwdriver through an opening in the pulley and pulled with a breaker bar and four foot pipe until the screwdriver bent and flew across the garage. I've wedged a screwdriver in similar fashion and run the impact to no avail. I've looked online for a pulley holder tool for this engine, but haven't found one. Any help?
1981 F100 Custom SWB 2WD 4.9L C4 Auto
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Crank Pulley Bolt

Ford F834
Administrator
Your best bet is to mount the flywheel or flex plate and jam a pry bar into the ring gear teeth and whatever you can wedge it against. If you can get a good bite on that the crank pulley bolt will break loose... trying to jam the harmonic balancer will damage it.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Crank Pulley Bolt

DH166
Thanks for the feedback. I might try that.
1981 F100 Custom SWB 2WD 4.9L C4 Auto