Cooling system.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Cooling system.

Redneckedness
Looking for some advice. I have an 84 F250 4x4 with a manual 4 speed and a 460 and I'm swapping out the motor. Its actually my sons truck and were working on it together. Im also deleting the smog equipment. There are a lot of vacuum switches and fittings that i don’t think i need. Would like to put a new water neck on it without the vacuum switches. Is this doable? Also theres a vacuum fitting at the back of the motor that i call a vacuum tree. It has 5 hose nubs coming off it. What can i replace it with that only has 3 nubs? I cant even find a replacement on line. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Cooling system.

Steve83
Banned User
It's cheaper, easier, & at least as-effective to simply abandon the unneeded vacuum fittings.  For the vacuum tree, just cap the unneeded nipples.  The most-durable cap is a short piece of appropriately-sized silicone vacuum tubing (thick-walled) plugged with silicone sealer longer than 3x the inside diameter.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Redneckedness
Do you still have the vacuum routing diagram on the radiator support?

If by "emissions" you mean to include the charcoal canisters, EGR and the DSII distributor then there's no need for the TVS's on the water neck.
But raw gasoline fumes are miserable for you and the environment, though you might notice much if the truck isn't garaged.
If you get rid of the EGR, be sure to have a look at Scott's distributor recurve instructions I linked in Cory's thread.
Your going to need to limit advance under cruise to eliminate pinging.

Be sure to get a water neck that is beveled on the left hand side.
The DuraSpark distributor is too large in diameter to fit a 'universal' thermostat housing.
(I think Transdapt makes one that works) I know I posted the p/n over at FTE.

You don't even need to cap the unused ports of the tree, you can just fill them with silicone (similar to Steve's suggestion above)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Redneckedness
Adding to what the others said, the vacuum trees are shown on a new page, just for you: Documentation/Underhood/Vacuum Systems/Vacuum Fittings.  Looks like there are 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6-way fittings.  So you might find one for the specific engine with the # of fittings you want.

Seems they pretty much all have the same thread size, but what isn't always said are the size of the hose barbs.  So you could go to the salvage and look as well.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Thanks Gary!

You are the King of Bullnose minutiae.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Thanks Gary!

You are the King of Bullnose minutiae.
Maybe Prince?  Bill/Numberdummy has to be King.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You have a good point!
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Redneckedness
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Thank you. No diagram. The truck appears to be put together from many different donors. Hard telling whats original and whats from area 51. Problem is, i cant get the fittings out of the old motor. I guess ill have to try heat but they’re brass so im afraid that wont go well. Hahaha

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 21, 2019, at 1:43 AM, ArdWrknTrk [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Do you still have the vacuum routing diagram on the radiator support?

If by "emissions" you mean to include the charcoal canisters, EGR and the DSII distributor then there's no need for the TVS's on the water neck.
But raw gasoline fumes are miserable for you and the environment, though you might notice much if the truck isn't garaged.
If you get rid of the EGR, be sure to have a look at Scott's distributor recurve instructions I linked in Cory's thread.
Your going to need to limit advance under cruise to eliminate pinging.

Be sure to get a water neck that is beveled on the left hand side.
The DuraSpark distributor is too large in diameter to fit a 'universal' thermostat housing.
(I think Transdapt makes one that works) I know I posted the p/n over at FTE.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with an Edelbrock 1826 and Performer intake.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Cooling-system-tp41576p41580.html
To unsubscribe from Cooling system., click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Redneckedness
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks Gary. I think ill try to salvage the ones on the old motor. Already paid for so why not right? After i get those in ill be working on the distributor so ill be ordering a crane vacuum advance kit. Thanks again. 

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 21, 2019, at 7:37 AM, Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Adding to what the others said, the vacuum trees are shown on a new page, just for you: Documentation/Underhood/Vacuum Systems/Vacuum Fittings.  Looks like there are 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6-way fittings.  So you might find one for the specific engine with the # of fittings you want.

Seems they pretty much all have the same thread size, but what isn't always said are the size of the hose barbs.  So you could go to the salvage and look as well.

Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker in front & 10.25 Spicer/Trutrac in back, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Cooling-system-tp41576p41598.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Something got in my head and told me to go dig in the shed...

Whatdayouknow, a genuine Ford 460 water neck with no ports. (EFI, marked F4TE-8504-BA)
It's not 'perfect' but has no cracks, deep pitting, or anything like that.

Ill get a pic in the morning if you like.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Redneckedness
Yes, please. That would be great!

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 21, 2019, at 7:23 PM, ArdWrknTrk [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Something got in my head and told me to go dig in the shed...

Whatdayouknow, a genuine Ford 460 water neck with no ports. (EFI, marked F4TE-8504-BA)
It's not 'perfect' but has no cracks, deep pitting, or anything like that.

Ill get a pic in the morning if you like.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with an Edelbrock 1826 and Performer intake.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Cooling-system-tp41576p41693.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
That's the one, same as the one on Darth. Get a 1994-96/7 upper radiator hose, it does away with the "hump" to clear the smoke grinders (air pumps).
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Redneckedness
looks good. How much you want for it?

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 22, 2019, at 6:00 AM, ArdWrknTrk [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Jim,

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Cooling-system-tp41576p41706.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I've got no idea what it's worth.  *shrug

Email me a street address and I'll figure postage.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

(no subject)

Redneckedness
is this your email address?

Sent from my iPhone
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: (no subject)

Redneckedness
Sorry, not sure if this is public or not. 

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 22, 2019, at 12:41 PM, Redneckedness [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

is this your email address?

Sent from my iPhone

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Cooling-system-tp41576p41735.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are responding via email but posting on the forum.  To email Jim just click his "handle" and click "Send Email To ArdWrknTrk".

Reply | Threaded
|

Redneckedness

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 22, 2019, at 12:46 PM, Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

You are responding via email but posting on the forum.  To email Jim just click his "handle" and click "Send Email To ArdWrknTrk".

Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker in front & 10.25 Spicer/Trutrac in back, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Cooling-system-tp41576p41738.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Redneckedness wrote
Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 22, 2019, at 12:46 PM, Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  You are responding via email but posting on the forum.  To email Jim just click his "handle" and click "Send Email To ArdWrknTrk".
> Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile
> Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
> Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
> Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker in front & 10.25 Spicer/Trutrac in back, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI
>
>
>
> If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
> http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Cooling-system-tp41576p41738.html
> To unsubscribe from Cooling system., click here.
> NAML
The above is what we see.  You said nothing but responded via email, which brings in all of the other "stuff".  What were you wanting to say?