classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Complete Brake System Replacement

Rembrant
Gentlemen,

I happened to see a brake flaring tool on sale today, and it reminded me that replacing all of my lines, etc is on the to-do list for this coming winter. My master cylinder is rusted all to snot, and the fluid in it is black and brown...lol. The brakes are working fine however...I've just had my fingers crossed that they'd last all of the 2018 season so I can tackle them in the off-season;). It's one of those things...as soon as I touch it, it's going to snowball into a full replacement, so I've been avoiding doing it in the summer.

Any words from the wise on this project?

You guys just buy steel line in bulk, and then bend to fit, flare it (double flare?), etc? Any recommended brands or types for the booster and master cylinder? Any recommended upgrades?

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Complete Brake System Replacement

Pebcak
I haven't done a full swap myself.  Just bits and pieces.  The Master Cylinder and Brake Booster I got from O'Reilly's.  From the filter to the engine I replaced all the metal lines with fuel rated hose.  I ended up putting the fuel filter in the engine bay for easier swap out later on.

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 4:43 PM, Rembrant [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Gentlemen,

I happened to see a brake flaring tool on sale today, and it reminded me that replacing all of my lines, etc is on the to-do list for this coming winter. My master cylinder is rusted all to snot, and the fluid in it is black and brown...lol. The brakes are working fine however...I've just had my fingers crossed that they'd last all of the 2018 season so I can tackle them in the off-season;). It's one of those things...as soon as I touch it, it's going to snowball into a full replacement, so I've been avoiding doing it in the summer.

Any words from the wise on this project?

You guys just buy steel line in bulk, and then bend to fit, flare it (double flare?), etc? Any recommended brands or types for the booster and master cylinder? Any recommended upgrades?

In rehab: 1984 F150 2wd Flareside pickup. Original 302 with GT40 heads, Comp Cam XE256H, Holley 4bbl, and BBK shorty headers. M5OD-R2 5spd trans swap. Plain Jane with no A/C and no radio.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Complete-Brake-System-Replacement-tp13428.html
To unsubscribe from Bullnose Enthusiasts, click here.
NAML

1986 F150 XLT Lariat, 4X2, 351W, 1406 Edelbrock Carb - Currently going through an engine rebuild through a "Father/Son Project"
Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
Use the nickel/copper line in place of steel. It is easier to bend properly and will not rust.
God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The nickel/copper stuff is what I've been told to use.  Haven't done it, but bought some stainless pre-bent stuff and had to re-bend every piece so won't do that again.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Gary Lewis wrote
The nickel/copper stuff is what I've been told to use.  Haven't done it, but bought some stainless pre-bent stuff and had to re-bend every piece so won't do that again.
I'll check out the nickel/copper stuff. I didn't even know it was available, so the thought never crossed my mind. This is why I asked.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I wasn't aware of it either.  Here's an example of it on Amazon.  Note the reviews - 93% 5's.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

vjsimone

Gary, do you have a parts/supplies section within your website for products like on this link you posted?

Gary Lewis wrote
I wasn't aware of it either.  Here's an example of it on Amazon.  Note the reviews - 93% 5's.
Vinny... "Do All Scheduled Maintenance Prior To Troubleshooting" "Resolve All Known Issues Prior To Troubleshooting"
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
I am not a fan of stainless brake lines. They are hardtop re-bend if need be and the big one, they are hard to seal at the fittings no matter how tight you get them.

Who did you get the pre-bent lines from? 2 that I know of is Inline Tube and think the other is Fine line.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Vinny - We have the Resources folder, and within it there's one on Brakes.  Those are folders that carry links to other websites, and we could put a link in there to Amazon for the tubing.  Is that what you mean?

Dave - Mine are Inline Tube, and I won't buy from them again.  The tubes weren't even close to being bent properly, and on of the fittings was the wrong size.  The guy I talked to said they are really a GM vendor, and they don't know much about Fords.  I guess not!

I hope mine seal ok, but if not I'll replace them with nickle/copper.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by vjsimone
vjsimone wrote
Gary, do you have a parts/supplies section within your website for products like on this link you posted?
Hey Vinny,

Are you on the island this time of year? I just got back from NL last week....well, I was offshore, so I wasn't actually on the island very long, but I passed through. I made a quick trip down to Mobile to visit a dog breeder/friend of ours, but otherwise I was in and out.

I'm saving the nickel/copper brake line link for ordering this fall. I'm going to re-do all of the brake lines and fuel lines, tank, etc...but leaving it for the winter when I take the box off the frame. If any one part of the system fails between now and then, the truck may be getting parked early;).

Reply | Threaded
|

vjsimone
Hello there, I left the Island in May, was there for the winter. This summer I am on my motorcycle crossing the country. Left North Carolina at the end of May, went to Chicago to pick up old Rt 66, took that to Santa Monica, then up the coast, over to Utah, Colorado, Wyoming. I'm in South Dakota now, then on to Kansas, then Skiatook, Texarkana, Louisiana, Alabama, Florida. Then up the coast to Virginia....

I'm on the otherside of the Irish loop in Mall Bay, straight west of  Fermeuse. I get through Mobile a few times a year.  I'll be back on the island in May next year for about 6 months.
Vinny... "Do All Scheduled Maintenance Prior To Troubleshooting" "Resolve All Known Issues Prior To Troubleshooting"