Compatible Years of trucks?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Compatible Years of trucks?

JMUBullnose
Alright guys - I'm doing it - my first trip to the pick and pull for Old Red. Lay it on me - what range of years can I feasibly pull parts off of to use in my 84 F150 XL?  I'm on a mission for valve covers, side mirrors and a couple other odds and ends. But if there's a useful part from a newer F150 that I can interchange, I'd love to grab it while I'm there.  

So lay it on me - what are some of the suitable years for parts trucks?

1984 F-150, 302 CID (5.0 L) Windsor V8, 2 BBL carb, power windows added, remote entry added. AC. Automatic Transmission.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Compatible Years of trucks?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Valve covers can come from any year Windsor engine, meaning the 302 & 351W.

Side mirrors will be from 1980 up to 1989 for sure, but probably well into the 90's although I don't know that as my catalog ends at 1989.

Other parts:

Gauges: 1980 - 86, although a 1980 could have different wiring

Instrument & radio bezels: 1980 - 86, except that 1980 - 84 radio bezels took a non-standard radio and 1985 & 6 went to a DIN radio size

Body components: 1980 - 86 for fenders, doors, interior trim, and tailgates.  1980 - 89 and probably later for seats.

Choice things to find: 1985/6 coolant recovery reservoir with the bottom-feed hose; 1987 and later sun visors with the clip that secures the end to keep it from drooping; 1987 and later battery tray and support arm as it secures the battery from the bottom with a clamp rather than the bracket at the top that gets corroded; 3G alternator, as explained here
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
Pretty much anything from 80 to 96/97SD is fair game. As Gary noted, body trim and lines as well as interior pieces are unique to bullnoses, but there is a wealth of other parts that will fit.

On seats, I find the 92 and up bench seat to be far superior to the earlier ones. Bolts in as well.

Steering columns will work up to and including 91.

The 87 to 91 cowl sheetmetal has a perforated design that lets in far less debris than the 80 to 86 version. Direct swap, but this one must be painted to match.

Lots of the mechanical parts will interchange. You can even source things like valve covers and alternators from cars and vans. That 3G alternator might be best sourced in a 3.8l equipped Taurus.

One thing that will not interchange is front disc brake parts from the 92 and up trucks. The later plastic master cylinder can be fitted to the earlier trucks, but you must change the proportioning valve as well. Best to salvage all the plumbing if you want to try this.
Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
Thanks so much guys!  I'm looking forward to this trip. Main objective is valve covers for now but I'm going to grab what I can if it's good.

I might also try to get windshield wipers...I discovered that the driver side wiper arm does not like to fully clip into the wiper itself and has once or twice almost disconnected from the wiper while in use!
1984 F-150, 302 CID (5.0 L) Windsor V8, 2 BBL carb, power windows added, remote entry added. AC. Automatic Transmission.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
So, how'd it go?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
Pretty darn good! Lot had at least 10-12 F150s/F250s of the right era on site! If I had known more about EFI conversion I'd of been tempted to pull some parts there.

I got a set of valve covers, air handler, BATTERY TRAY (huge hat tip to you guys on that one). Several of the trucks had trays in them still.  I also snagged new wiper arms as one of mine seems to be acting up and not fully latching the blade in. Also was able to pull the windshield trim without bending it - hope to be able to clean it up and have it recoated as a touch up. All in all a great trip - I'd like to go back but not sure when I can pull it off, usually make it to the area as part of a trip to visit family in Richmond.

My brother in law snagged this lovely image of me at work...
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Did you get that grill? [1980-1981] They are desirable.
Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
....no. I almost did grab it too. I was impressed with the overall condition of a lot of the trucks that were on the lot!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by JMUBullnose
Well done!  But what's an "air handler"?

And on the battery tray, I think you'll have to relocate the starter solenoid slightly, but shouldn't be a problem.

Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
Hmm....guess that'd be the Air Cleaner!
Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
Any pointers on which EFI to try and snag if I get the chance?