Column trouble

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Column trouble

IowaTom
Guys - I got a new key switch for the column, but the trouble seems to be deeper than just a bad switch.

I believe I'm holding part number 3E723 that rolls when the key is turned.  Something is supposed to be in the "eye" of this part, to move the rod that activates the electrics, lower on the column.  When I couldn't get the new switch to seat, it was time to dig deeper and remove the three screws that hold that collar on the column.  The part was loose in there.  The pic below, I have put it where it sits in operation.

Something has busted off.  Anyone else ever face this?
I have a shop manual on CD which is frustrating.  Wish I'd bought the paper manual.  :-(
'85 F150 XLT 4X4 with 300 c.i. six & NP435 four speed.
'63 Studebaker Avanti - 350/TH350
'59 Rambler Super - OHV 6 with 3-speed OD
'58 Studebaker Scotsman sedan - 289 with 3-speed OD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Column trouble

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
This is the upper tilt column actuator I mentioned before.
Your part is good. It's the lower part pot metal that breaks.

IIRC there is a pin and clevis type hinge in the middle that allows the column to tilt.

Pic from https://www.fullsizebronco.com/threads/ignition-actuator-replacement-on-an-85-w-tilt.70454/

Edit to clarify where the screenshot is from.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by IowaTom
Here's your part from a vendor in San Antonio. https://prosteeringcolumn.com/1980-1991-ford-bronco-f-150-f-250-econoline-tilt-steering-column-ignition-lock-actuator-d1az-3e723-c.html

What do you think is broken???  

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
Jim - Nothing looked broken, really.  Don't know why my part slipped some teeth on an internal wheel and having to take thing apart again would be a major drag.  I watched a few Utube videos on fixing column issues and most seem to center around the piece that is attached to the shaft that does the switching.  The whole thing seems a little over-complicated to me...
I wound up biting my lip and ordering a rebuilt column.  So, I'm off the road again until it comes.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Tom, did you try removing the drive gear shown in the above illustration? (It's retained behind the lock cylinder)

I know the insides of my non-tilt column differ a little from yours but what you're describing is all above that.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
No, Jim, I didn't try to remove it.  
One day it was working fine and the next, something within slipped.  My thought is, if I fix it and it happens again, I'll be back to tearing it all down again.  Something has worn out in there, including the top bearing (wiggly steering wheel) and having ordered a rebuilt column, I'm hoping I'm not going to have to deal with future problems.  
Love my truck and want to drive her for as long as I can.  Thanks for that diagram and great advice!