Cold Start Issues

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Cold Start Issues

JMUBullnose
Hello everyone - thanks for the assists so far! (Still dialing in the OD issues)

This morning I was having issues cold starting the truck. I pressed the accelerator pedal to the floor to set the choke and eventually got the truck to turn over. However, it died within 3-4 seconds of starting - feathering the throttle did not help keep it alive. After I restarted I feathered the throttle to hold the idle and was "off to the races" after I let it warm up for a minute or so.

What do I need to look at or adjust to try and figure this out?

1984 F-150, 302 CID (5.0 L) Windsor V8, 2 BBL carb, power windows added, remote entry added. AC. Non-EFI. Automatic Transmission.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Cold Start Issues

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It sounds like the choke isn't coming on far enough when the engine is cold.  On the 2150 page, on the TEK At Large tab and then the Theory & Operation tab you'll see the choke cap on the passenger's side of the carb.  The best image is at the bottom of that page.  There are three screws that keep that cap from turning.  If you loosen them you can rotate the cap, and I think that you rotate counterclockwise to bring the choke on more, although the direction is probably noted on the cap.  There is a mark on the cap and a set of marks on the carb.  I'd turn the cap two notches toward the rich side, snug the screws down, and try that.

But remember where the cap was originally sitting if you have to put it back.
Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/soon-to-be ZF5/3.55's & EEC-V MAF/SEFI
Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
Thanks so much Gary! I'll take a look this afternoon when I go back out to the truck!

The choke issue wouldn't also affect engine performance when making hard turns would it? Many times I've gone into a turn (coasting) and then go to apply power as I'm exiting the turn and the engine will stumble slightly like it's not getting enough fuel but then it catches up and all is well.
1984 F-150, 302 CID (5.0 L) Windsor V8, 2 BBL carb, power windows added, remote entry added. AC. Non-EFI. Automatic Transmission.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, the choke coming off too early could easily cause the engine to stumble when you go from coasting back to power.  But it would only happen while the engine was still warming up.  And it wouldn't be dependent upon hard turns.

So, if it really is because of the turn then you probably have a low float level.  That means there's not enough gas in the bowl of the carb and on a hard turn the gas can be pushed to the side and away from the main metering jet.

I'd make the choke change first, and if that doesn't solve the stumble then it may be time to check the float level.  And we can talk you through that.
Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/soon-to-be ZF5/3.55's & EEC-V MAF/SEFI
Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
Awesome.

I was wondering if the float might be the issue (after reading the rangerstation guide on rebuilding). A rebuild is likely in order for the whole carb anyway!

Gotta say - love this forum!