classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Coil Spring Bow/Off-Center

Jason2215
This post was updated on .
Ok everyone, this is a long shot, but I could use all the help I can get to help talk me off the ledge.  

Backstory - installing a Skyjacker 4" lift kit w/drop brackets, longer Radius Arms/relocated brackets, etc on 84 Bronco.  So I'm finally to the point where I'm fitting the new springs on, excited, and the drivers side spring doesn't fit up right.  It is bowed out toward the front end and the radius arm stud (bottom spring seat) seems to be a bit off from the center of the upper spring perch (so the spring won't sit vertical).  I'm going to post a picture below so you can see what I'm looking at.  Edit: can't get the picture to adjust correctly so you may not be able to see well.

I posted this on another message board and one helpful idea I was presented with was to add a couple large washers to the front side of the RA/bracket so that it (hopefully) pushes the axle forward a bit.  They also said it may not be a big deal but I don't know how comfortable I am the way it is.  The upper spring is only about halfway through the j-clip since it's leaned out toward the front/held in by the front portion of the upper shock/spring mount.  I also tried to compress the spring to see if it corrected itself but wasn't looking any better up to the point where I was lifting it off of the jack stands.

If left the way it is, I'm worried that 1. my geometry/alignment will be off if the axle isn't positioned where it's supposed to be. 2. The coil won't function correctly and possibly pop out.  

I did double check my measurements where I had to relocate the RA brackets exactly 15" back from their original location and it looks good.

Any experience with this type of issue at all?  I'm open to any ideas!

1984 Bronco XLT
351W HO/C6

Jason, Ocean Springs, MS
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Coil Spring Bow/Off-Center

salans7
I've always found the weight of the vehicle on the jack is not the same as the weight of the vehicle on the ground. In other words, I would put it back together and see where it sits without jacks or stands, and then make your assumption from there. To be fair, I've seen MUCH worse spring angles, but you definitely need to rotate the spring a little further into the j-clip if at all possible. Also, over time those springs are gonna settle, and you may find that they no longer sit at that angle.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
I agree with Shaun. I experienced the same thing with my 1.5" leveling coils. Even after dropping the truck to the ground the camber was ridiculous(with the eccentric bushings maxed out), but once I drove out the garage and back in a couple of times it was almost normal. There is still a slight angle in my coils, but nothing that concerns me. But as Shaun mentions, I would also try to get more of the coil under the J-clip. Good luck.
Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Toyopet (Daily driver) '86 Toyota Pickup
Reply | Threaded
|

Jason2215
In reply to this post by salans7
Thank you so much for the reply.  It's a relief to know it's probably not as bad as I'm assuming it is.  I'll wait until the truck is back on the ground and re-assess.  As for the j-clip though, I tried a couple of times (I really tried) to get the coil to stay in the j-clip more and where it sits is as far as I could get it.  I know it likely won't be able to move much further to correct itself once weight is on it, but do you think it is in danger of breaking the clip?  The clip is seated on the back side, so I'm hoping it doesn't have anymore pressure on it than it normally would.  
1984 Bronco XLT
351W HO/C6

Jason, Ocean Springs, MS
Reply | Threaded
|

Jason2215
In reply to this post by Sac79
Rob,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.  I tried the best I could with the coil/j-clip.  I'm hoping once I drive it a few times as you said I might be able to jack it back up and maneuver it further into the clip.  Hopefully where it is (a little further than halfway through the clip) it won't try to back itself any further and won't put any undue pressure on the clip since the clip seems to be seated correctly.  I've attached 3 photos of where she sits now, it's slightly better, but the coil still will not make it all the way through the clip.

1984 Bronco XLT
351W HO/C6

Jason, Ocean Springs, MS
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
Having more of the coil under the J-clip would be more about piece of mind for me. Under normal driving conditions the coil isn't going anywhere and the J-clip won't be breaking/failing, that's my opinion anyway. What are your plans for the truck, is the suspension raise for looks or are you planning some serious off-roading?
Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Toyopet (Daily driver) '86 Toyota Pickup
Reply | Threaded
|

Jason2215
Ok awesome.  No, the truck likely won't see any off-road.  We're doing a small resto and then she'll just be a cruiser after that.  I'd say at most, it will probably drive over a curb or two.  After reading about how hard these are to align, I'm worried the spring will cause issues there, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it!
1984 Bronco XLT
351W HO/C6

Jason, Ocean Springs, MS
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I think you'll be okay. I've seen much, much worse than what you're dealing with so fear not and enjoy the truck!
Reply | Threaded
|

Jason2215
That's great to hear!  Thank you!  Brake lines are on....need to hook up the rest of the steering and then maybe just maybe get started on the rear leafs by Thanksgiving at this pace!
1984 Bronco XLT
351W HO/C6

Jason, Ocean Springs, MS