Clutch pedal spring

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Clutch pedal spring

Frogger2662
I have a 84 F150 that was converted from a 4 speed manual transmission to an AOD. I am converting back to a manual.
It still has the manual pedal box. Can I reinstall the cluch pedal spring without pulling the whole pedal assembly out of the box? I still have all of the old parts.
1984 F150 Flareside
1992 stock 5.0 with edelbrock 4 barrel.
Dual exhaust.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Clutch pedal spring

JimJam300
It's possible. Just watch out because with the spring installed you can smack yourself with the pedal pretty hard when the clutch rod is not attached to the equalizer.

https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/clutches-and-linkage.html
Clutch Linkage > Mechanical > Adjustments and R&R > "Removal and Installation"
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

Frogger2662
What piece are you calling the equalizer?
1984 F150 Flareside
Dual exhaust.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I think he is talking about the cross shaft you would find in a mechanical clutch (like his '82) #7528

If you have the pedals out it is a very good time to check the pin that clips to the eye of the master cylinder pushrod for wear on the firewall side. (7A554)
If there's a groove worn there you want to fix that before you destroy the fingered plastic bush that clips them together.
Weld... or maybe even JB Weld would work.

If there's slop in the linkage you'll find it difficult to disengage the clutch.

You can get those bushings in the Dorman HELP section, sold as part of an assortment of windshield wiper bushings #49447

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Frogger2662
Thanks, that helps a lot.
With the clutch pedal off will the shaft slide toward the passenger side so I can inspect and replace bushing?
1984 F150 Flareside
Dual exhaust.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Hmmm.  I've never really thought of that.
Edit: you don't need to move the shaft to check. The master cylinder pushrod has a bunch of 360° freedom, so it can be slipped off or over that pin.

I always pulled the pedal box as an assembly, but if you have only taken the nut off the left side and removed the pedal, the 7A554 arm/pin should still be clipped in to the master cylinder pushrod?

... I'm not sure what all was done to install the automatic in the first place, except you've obviously swapped the column.

Is the clutch pedal still attached and flopping around without a spring?
Is the master cylinder still there covering the hole in the firewall?

You just want to check for play between the master cylinder pushrod and the pin you can see as part of the cranked arm (7A554) above.
If it's good leave it until there's an issue.
If it's sloppy you can feel the groove with your finger by moving the pushrod to the side.

Taking off any 40 year old piece of plastic is likely to destroy it. That ~$7 assortment is less than the dealer would get for one bush (if they're still available)
Farm/construction trucks see a lot of muddy, gritty boots and once that plastic wears through the metal grinds a groove.
This needs to get fixed before replacing the bushing, but yours may not be bad if it hasn't seen hard use or lived much of it's life as an automatic.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Frogger2662
The clutch pedal is off. Looks like the previous owner put some washers on as spacers and reinstalled the nut. The clutch master cylinder is still there without the rod in it. It still has the original column installed. He used a automatic floor shifter. I still need to source a transmission. The original pedal and spring was under the seat.
1984 F150 Flareside
Dual exhaust.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Just use your fingernail or an inspection mirror to see if the pin is good.

When there's a bad groove the first push of the pedal will result in a crunch noise and a destroyed plastic bush.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I was just thinking about this.
If the clutch pedal and master cylinder pusheod are already removed there shouldn't be anything keeping you from swinging the shaft all the way around so you can see the back of the pin.
It's way up under the dash in an awkward position to begin with and won't be any easier pointing up, but if you're a contortionist....
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Frogger2662
I am going to do this while I have the seat and carpet out. Gonna put new carpet in so it will be easier to get under the dash.
1984 F150 Flareside
Dual exhaust.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Good call.  

It's a LOT easier to get under there with the seat out of the way.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I think he is talking about the cross shaft you would find in a mechanical clutch (like his '82) #7528
Oh dang, I did not know bullnose F150s could come with a hydraulic clutch from the factory. My bad.
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The 460 & IDI got hydraulic clutch for 1983
The Windsors and 300/6 went hydraulic for '84
 Jim,