Clock wiring part II

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
23 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Clock wiring part II

FuzzFace2
I did some searching and even looked at the clock documents & wiring and have an issue.

Let me start with the clock I got off Ebay.
I believe it is the 83-86 clock based on the wire colors from the documents and the pig tail with the clock.
LG/Y - hot run / acc.
W/P - head light switch dome light? (this wire & the lg/y are twisted together I guess from repair & testing?)
BK - ground
BR - exterior running lights

Now the truck side (2/1982) and the part that has me stumped.
I can only find 1 plug and it is down by the radio not up near the clock area.
It is a 3 pin prong plug with 4 wires going into it.
PK/R - hot with door open
BR - hot with lights turned on
BK/LB & BK/DB - hot with the inside dome light on and door open (I think)

So I think the plug I found is for the under dash lights based on how the wires get power.
Now there was talk of the clock is plugged into a "Y" harness that plugs into the under dash light plug and does the lights & clock is this right?
If so where does the clock get 12 volts all the time to keep time & date?

I also know I said I could make a harness. I think if I have the clock wiring right I can find the wires needed on the truck side and could I use the plug / wires I found and just run 12 volts to clock?

BTW it sucks pulling apart a truck that was together and no noises when driving

As always thanks for any help you can give me
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Clock wiring part II

salans7
There is only one connector on the truck side of the harness, and it is a male connector. It is located by the A/C controls, at least on all of the trucks I've touched. There looks to be black/blue, black/green, brown, white/red, and green/yellow wires going into it from the main harness. The harness that plugs into this connector usually includes the under dash lights and the lighted glove box. This harness also had a female plug for the clock wiring to plug into. I did not check for 100% certainty on the pin outs but it does look like you may be able to plug the clock harness straight into the main connector coming off of the main harness and have a functioning clock. I assume this is what was done on trucks with clocks but without under dash lighting.

The below two pictures are what I have in my truck.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
This post was updated on .
Shaun first let me say thank you for your help.
Is you truck 83-86? Looks like it from the wire colors.

With fresh eyes today I may have found what I was looking for?
This clock harness is a Tee or "Y" into the truck harness right?

Would you need to unplug the truck harness to plug in the clock harness?
What I am saying is I found the right color wires in a plug but this plug is connected to another plug of the same colors, a pass thru type deal.
(AC harness is done this way, unplug the main harness and plug in the AC harness and that keeps the "link" like before)
If so then half the battle is won and on to the next.

So I have the right truck side wires for 81/82 truck at this plug connection.
W/P - hot run / acc.
LG/Y -  head light switch dome light.
LB/R - dash light dim
BK - ground

So how do I mate them to a 83-86 clock that has different color wires?
LG/Y - hot run / acc.
W/P - head light switch dome light? (this wire & the lg/y are twisted together I guess from repair & testing?)
BK - ground
BR - exterior running lights

Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
On both my 1980 and this 1986, the plug was empty with nothing connected to it. It was more like a T in the main wiring harness, but nothing else was controlled by it. So maybe you already have the light group harness?

To make the clock work, you would just need to identify what each wire does for the 80-82 wiring, and also for the 83-86 clock wiring. The connector setup depends on how much wiring you have with the new clock. If they gave you only the two plugs (clock side and the light group harness side), you don't have enough parts to convert your existing connectors. But if they gave you three connectors (clock, and both male/female from the light group harness), you could effectively convert your 80-82 connector to the 83-86 style provided you map out the wiring pin-outs correctly. That's what I did with the radio in my 1980 since the rubber plug was junk and I didn't even have any speaker wiring.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
What you see is what I have, short pig tail on the clock.

So you think being the male & female plugs are together in my picture I just need the Tee with the M & FM truck side and clock at the other end? Being I don't have the truck side of the plugs for the harness I might just tap into the wires as needed, I can un-plug the clock when needed.

As for the light group I am sure the truck (Ranger model) did not come with the under dash lights that I could find when I had the dash with harness out for repair.

Guess I will need to go over the documentation really good to see how the 2 systems are wired.
Wonder if my old harness has the M & FM plugs I could cut off to make the Tee harness?

Thanks again for the help.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
I remember reading something where earlier trucks did not have a connector like the later trucks but a pigtail and like a trailer connection... or am I mistaken? Maybe this is part of the issue?

Can you disconnect that harness and check for power/ground that would verify it is the signals needed for the radio? If so maybe you can splice in a couple inches behind the connector or find some extra connectors from a donor and make a short jumper.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
 I think I found the end I need
I first went thru my parts bins looking for the harness that came with this truck, a Custom F100 bare bones truck. And the plug with matching colors was just a short part out of the main harness.

I then went back to the truck, it has a Ranger F100 harness and has upgrades.
Looking at the plug that feels like it loops back into the harness

I can feel 1 end does go into the harness but the other end kind of goes down some place?
Digging deeper I was able to trace it to a plug end at the bottom edge of the dash just right of the ash tray. It has 1 of them trees you push thru a hole and it stays there. After fighting with it I go it free and it now will reach the top of the dash / clock area.

It may have been loose when I was working with the dash and thought it went there and put it in the hole. The first plug I found with no color matching wires and tested out to be what I think is the under dash light plug, so I fished that plug down where I got the clock plug from.

So now I have to go over the wiring documents to see if I can match uphe 81/82 truck wiring to the 83-86 clock wiring.
I did test the pins on the truck side as:
LG/Y - hot all the time
W/P - hot key acc. & run
LB/R - dash lights / dim
BK - ground

We are getting there
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
OK after checking documents the wire colors are as follows:
LG/Y - same for truck & clock
W/P - same for truck & clock
BK - same for truck & clock

BUT
Truck LB/R goes to the dash lights and can be dimmed.
Clock BR goes to the running lights but can not be dimmed.

Should I hook the BR of the clock  to the LB/R of the truck as they both come on with the head lights turned on, I don't see me dimming the dash lights.
WWYD?
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm not sure I'm the one you are asking, but all that signal does is to tell the clock that the lights are on so it should dim.  And I'll bet it will work hooked to the LB/R wire.  The clock is expecting either no voltage or battery voltage, so should accept the dimmed signal just fine.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
My harness goes as follows, and it was the same on my 1980 (which had a light group harness from a 1982).

All trucks will have: Main harness > 8-pin Light Group/Clock connector

Light group/clock equipped trucks will have:

Main Harness > 8-pin Light Group/Clock connector > Wiring for light group splits off from here in a separate harness > Clock wiring continues to another 8-pin clock only connector next to the original 8-pin connector > Clock wiring then goes up to the clock area > 4-pin Connector that plugs into the clock.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
I'm not sure I'm the one you are asking, but all that signal does is to tell the clock that the lights are on so it should dim.  And I'll bet it will work hooked to the LB/R wire.  The clock is expecting either no voltage or battery voltage, so should accept the dimmed signal just fine.
Thanks Gary I was thinking as long as it got power when the head lights were on it was no big deal.
Thanks
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by salans7
salans7 wrote
My harness goes as follows, and it was the same on my 1980 (which had a light group harness from a 1982).

All trucks will have: Main harness > 8-pin Light Group/Clock connector

Light group/clock equipped trucks will have:

Main Harness > 8-pin Light Group/Clock connector > Wiring for light group splits off from here in a separate harness > Clock wiring continues to another 8-pin clock only connector next to the original 8-pin connector > Clock wiring then goes up to the clock area > 4-pin Connector that plugs into the clock.
Shaun, what I can tell there is the 4 pin plug poking out of the main harness. What I found looks like an extention so it reaches the clock.
I know some clocks had different plugs on the back this extension could gave just plugged into the clock.
Think I got it figured out just have to make the connection.
Thanks
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
It is definitely possible that you have just the part that goes from the clock to the main connector as the clock was a separate option from the light group and you probably didn't have to have both at the same time.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
salans7 wrote
It is definitely possible that you have just the part that goes from the clock to the main connector as the clock was a separate option from the light group and you probably didn't have to have both at the same time.
I think you nailed it once I found the plug. It was just an extension from the main harness to the clock.

So the next issue to over come was the 81/82 plug will not fit the 83-86 clock.
I was looking for a way to keep the plug and use the pig tail from the clock but after pulling the pins from the plug to see if they would "plug in to" something I had on hand I cut the pins and used water proof butt connectors.

Wired and bolted in place I went to see if it worked and .......... NOTHING!
Then I remembered the spark show when trying to remove the pins from the plug.
Replaced a 15 amp fuse and we have numbers.

With the clock working, the dome light now working

I vacuumed the floor and if it stays warm I may even wash it.

Thanks guys for the help and hand holding, don't think I could have done it with out you.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yippee! Well done guys!  

As for staying warm, we are at 38 and headed south, with 4 - 6" of white stuff to come down tomorrow.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Awesome! Glad you got it working. Sorry I couldn't be more help on the 80-82 side of things, it's been a long time since I messed with the early clocks.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
That's awesome. I picked one up too so if I have any issues I know who's brain to pick now.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Yippee! Well done guys!  

As for staying warm, we are at 38 and headed south, with 4 - 6" of white stuff to come down tomorrow.
Well, not too long ago, you did mention no snow, so far, and hoped for some, this Winter.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
We got ~2" this morning, and more to come they say.  Enough that we canceled church for this evening.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
75 today