Choke question

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Choke question

IowaTom
Guys - My '85 F150 with the 4.9L six has a single barrel carb the p.o. bought off Amazon, he tells me.  For the life of me, I can't find a name on this carb...not even a Made in China.  :-)  
Anyway, seems I have to wait for the engine to warm up before driving.  If I don't, it's real sluggish - like my e-brake is on, but it isn't.  If I slowly give her more gas I have to be patient for an increase in speed.
Sounds like a choke thing, since it runs okay warm.  Starts fine and when I got home & removed the air cleaner, the choke plate was fully open, FWIW.

Any suggestions on what to adjust, bend or smash would be appreciated!
'85 F150 XLT 4X4 with 300 c.i. six & NP435 four speed.
'63 Studebaker Avanti - 350/TH350
'59 Rambler Super - OHV 6 with 3-speed OD
'58 Studebaker Scotsman sedan - 289 with 3-speed OD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Choke question

1986F150Six
Administrator
Here is a thread from way in the past and it was for a 1986 F150 with 4.9L and non feedback carburetor.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1110073-choke-adjustment-101-a.html

By the way, has your distributor been changed to a non feedback unit? Does it have a vacuum line attached or are there a number of wires toward the bottom of the distributor body?
Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
Thank you for taking the time to put that into very understandable words, for a dolt like me!

I'll do the same on a cold start and see where the choke plate is.
Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
By the way, my carb has nothing attached to the bib up near the throat that this orange hose is on.

Where does the other end go?
Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
Oh and my carb doesn't have the little vacuum can (unloader?) this carb has.  Maybe that explains why mine has no hose attached..?
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
This post was updated on .
Can you show a picture of where the electric plugs in?
Some need a full 12 volts and others 6 to 7 volts.
Also dose the carb have a fitting on it for the steel hot air line to screw on to it?

That nipple you dont have anything to by the air filter flange may need to be capped but need to see if you have hot air choke.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
the "vacuum unloader" is there to pull the choke open as far as the choke control wil let it to allow the engine to run as close to normal as possible, as soon as possible. without it you are relying entirely on the coil and environmental heat available. if your coil is getting less than the needed voltage then it will surely be slow to wake up.
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
In reply to this post by IowaTom
IowaTom wrote
By the way, my carb has nothing attached to the bib up near the throat that this orange hose is on.

Where does the other end go?
The orange hose is part of the "fresh air" tube for your thermostatic (hot air) choke.  The rubber hose is attached to a length of tubing that would go into a choke stove on the exhaust manifold.  The other end of the choke stove stove would have an insulated "hot air" tube leading back up to your choke cap.

The image below is for a V8, but hopefully you can see how it is all plumbed:

Without these items in place, your choke is not going to work correctly.
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
I found my carb on amazon and it resembles the Kipa 1bb YF type, for around $90.  Mine, like that one, doesn't have a voltage tab on the bi-metal case, so it relies on heat from the pipe from the exhaust manifold, which screws into the carb.  

I found my choke plate was not closing down on a cold engine "pump" of the accelerator, so removed the carb - working on that engine is a back killer! - and made an adjustment to linkage so now it will close down.  Chokes are wonderful things when they work right.  When they don't I begin dreaming of buying an FI system.  :-)  Thankfully, they're reasonably easy to adjust.

Thanks much for all your ideas!  It's like having you guys out in the garage with me...kinda.
Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
Ya think I should put a rubber cap on that open bib at the top of the throat?
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
cap any and all unused ports
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
In reply to this post by IowaTom
IowaTom wrote
Chokes are wonderful things when they work right.  When they don't I begin dreaming of buying an FI system.  :-)  Thankfully, they're reasonably easy to adjust.
Yes, they work quite well when they are set up properly and adjusted.

Without the choke tubes, your choke is neither set up properly nor adjusted properly. You are going to dream about buying an EFI system again when it turns cooler and your choke doesn't work right no matter what adjustments you make to the linkage.

Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
This post was updated on .
Can concur... the choke on my 1984 4.9 didn't work right until I replaced the rotted out hot air tubing (capping the ports off wasn't enough!). The choke is a "dual heat" design... it needs both the stove connection and the electric element working to properly operate.

In my case, since I had the intake off while I was rebuilding my engine, I was able to carefully drill out the rotted remains of the old tubing from said exhaust mainifold and then installed new lines I bent/flared out of some copper ice maker tubing (1/4"). I tried to solder them in place but the manifold is too effective of a heat sink. But I did make it work and AFAIK it doesn't leak. Works for me!

Edit- Looking at Tom's pictures, it seems his choke has no stove hookup to speak of. Which means that unless a different choke coil from stock is used, it's doomed to never work right. There are carb applications that use purely electric chokes (like the Kehin-clone carb on a chinese moped I used to ride)... but whether or not anything with a carter-style choke was designed that way is beyond me.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
Sounds like time for a manual choke.
God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
sounds like time for the correct carb!
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Whisler wrote
Sounds like time for a manual choke.
mat in tn wrote
sounds like time for the correct carb!
If he has a carb that works other than the choke not all is lost.
Someone hinted about electric cap and that with the hot air tube is the answer.
Dose the old carb have an electric cap and if so swap it with the one on your good carb.

This has been posted by someone before to get his choke to work right that he had to use the old carbs choke cap on the new carb.
And yes he also had to have the hot air part working too.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100