Checking out the 86

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Checking out the 86

jdavidsmi
Before he left on Monday my son and I got the 86 in the garage for a closer inspection.

First the good.

All the lights work, new rear fuel tank, new exterior fuel pump, bed in very good condition, tires fair, cab in good condition, only found 2 spots where rust is starting, both where the screws for the plate that covers the edge of the carpet. Fuel gauge is working, amp meter working. The motor turns over easily, I will do a compression check to see where it’s at. Power locks and windows work, though the windows are slow. Carpet and seat are both in great shape. The duel exhaust looks to be new.

Some of the bad.

The front fuel tank has been disconnected, and the tank switching valve is missing. the reservoir has the lower two intakes broken off. The rust on the driver’s door bottom in a couple of places is all the way through. There is no cap on the power steering pump, did not look good. Normal leaking from rear of the motor, could not tell if the transmission is leaking or just from the motor. Parking brakes cables are missing.

Lots of rust on the frame but it looks the be surface.

My short term gold is to get the motor started. Oil and filter change, plugs, fuel filter, finished the install of the rear fuel tank. And make sure I have spark.

If I can get it running or not, I can make a decision as to get it road worthy or, pull the bed and put it on the 84 as that was the original plan.

Can someone tell me where the fuel tank relay is, on this truck?

This is the calibration sticker
Sticker on the motor

The reservoir

Duel exhaust
Duel exhaust

The bottom of the door
Bottom of door

More to come as I get further into it.
David,
1984 F150 LX, 4x4 117 wheel base, Engine Code "F" = 302, 5.0 2/B,
Transmission code "A" = 4sp manual New Process model 435
Axle code "19" = 3.55 (ford 8.8) manf.  08/1983, in Norfolk
DSO code "21" AtlantaFactory Air Conditioner, Dash with Gauges
1990 Goldwing 1500
1986 F150 XLT, short bed, 5.0 automatic
2004 F53 Fleetwood Terra motor home
2017 Chevrolet Traverse
Home town Viola Tennessee
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Checking out the 86

85lebaront2
Administrator
The reservoir is the switching valve on 1986-89 trucks with EFI. Last time someone needed it Ford still had them (at a price). As far as fitting and working the 1987-89 is the same except for the internal filter in the 1986 one.

Fuel tank relay, if used, will be on the firewall, go here for information: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/electric-fuel-pump-control.html

There is an inertia switch on the heater duct, passenger side of the transmission hump that may be tripped or bad. You can jumper the plug for test purposes. You have two fuel pumps (actually three) one on the frame and one in the tank. The frame one is the high pressure pump for the EFI, tank pump is low pressure and used to fill the reservoir for the high pressure pump.

I like the upside down dual exhaust picture.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

jdavidsmi
Thanks, For the location of the relay and inertia switch. I looked for that relay yesterday for quite a while, just did not really know where to look. I did discovered the fuel tank switch, the one in the dash does not appear to be working. But that could be cause by a bad relay or the inertia switch. More to investigate today.
David,
1984 F150 LX, 4x4 117 wheel base, Engine Code "F" = 302, 5.0 2/B,
Transmission code "A" = 4sp manual New Process model 435
Axle code "19" = 3.55 (ford 8.8) manf.  08/1983, in Norfolk
DSO code "21" AtlantaFactory Air Conditioner, Dash with Gauges
1990 Goldwing 1500
1986 F150 XLT, short bed, 5.0 automatic
2004 F53 Fleetwood Terra motor home
2017 Chevrolet Traverse
Home town Viola Tennessee
Reply | Threaded
|

71_badmach
In reply to this post by jdavidsmi
So that's what a "Thermactor" looks like   My 85 had the bracket, but the air pump was long gone.  

Best wishes for getting it running again!
Dave
85 F150 EFI 302
Ohio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by jdavidsmi
I missed the calibration code.  Here's the info:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI