classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Cheapest usable plasma cutter?

Steve83
Banned User
I've wanted a cutting torch for a while, but it seems like it's just not in the budget.  A setup with decent-sized bottles and a decent-brand torch is in the $800-1000 range, and that doesn't include filling the bottles initially, or REfilling them if I actually want to USE the torch.

So a plasma cutter is financially much more attractive...  But I've never even used one, so I don't know much about them other than the principles of operation - not the PRACTICALITY.  And all the cheapos on the market make it really difficult to take the risk.  And since the whole point is to keep the cost WELL below a grand, I can't even consider a name-brand cutter; not even used (if there were any in my area for sale).

So I'm beginning to consider the garbage brands.  I'm not worried about cutting 1/2" plate at 20"/min for 6 hours straight - I might cut a couple of feet per month of 22ga up to 1/4".  It would be really rare that I'd cut anything thicker, or more than a few inches at a time.  But on those rare occasions, it would be nice to have an option other than drilling, sawing, grinding, &/or filing; especially for irregular shapes.  I'm not doing art or trying to earn a living, so I think I might be able to rationalize $200-400.  I already have a nice shop air compressor, so I don't really need on-board air.  And I've wired my shop for 220, so I'd prefer a 110/220 machine.

I've done a LITTLE reading so far, and a few sites (which APPEAR to be independent of each other) agree that the Lotos LT5000D (non-pilot) is as good as can be expected for <$300.  The pilot version (LTP5000D) is slightly >$400, but the Cut 50 is a pilot-start for $200, and it gets almost-as-good reviews from those few sources as the Lotos.  Consumables seem to be available & affordable for all of them.

Who has some experience with a cheapo cutter - good OR bad?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Cheapest usable plasma cutter?

FuzzFace2
When I bought mine I was only looking to do sheet metal work so the cheap one is only for sheet metal HVAC duct work. It is 110v and has built in air.

It may do 1/8" but if I do I also know its limits as I would be pushing its limits.
Anything 1/8" or thicker would be straight cuts so a cutoff wheel on my grinder works.

I used the plasma cutter to "trim" the parts truck style side bed sides off when getting to the metal floor.
Cant help other than that.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Cheapest usable plasma cutter?

Bruce moose4x4
In reply to this post by Steve83
My welding supply house had one on sale when they first came out for 369$. I bought one and very happy with it. Don't use it a whole lot but works pretty good. It was a Plasma Pony
https://www.netwelder.com/plasmapony-plasma-cutter-40-amp-w-19-torch-tb-pp40/
Been very happy with it so far.
Bruce aka Moose--1978 F250 LWB Flareside, Dana 60's w/ 4:10's, 460, c6