classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Changes To Website, & Therefore The Forum

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I made a change to the website tonight to put the width at 100% instead of 1000 pixels.  I'd like your comments on how this works, but at first blush it seems to utilize the width of my screens much better.  And, it seems to now work on my phone (iPhone 10) in portrait mode as well as landscape mode.

So, please check it out and let me know.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Changes To Website, & Therefore The Forum

Gary Lewis
Administrator
And, as a test, I'm going to post a pic in normal mode, meaning with no resizing:

Yipes!  That's much better/bigger.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
At first blush it seems good on my iPhone X also. It does not do it often, but sometimes a pic will stretch the screen wider than what the phone can “see” and you can’t scroll it in to view. Maybe this will fix that? I can remember off hand an example but I will keep my eye out.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This should fix that.  Now, by using percentages instead of pixels, we can control how much of the screen is used.  So narrow screens show pictures smaller and the text goes way down the page.  And wide screens, like this laptop, have wide pictures and the text uses all of the screen's width.

On top of that, the website pages themselves are bigger.  Documents use more of the screen.  I'm wondering why I didn't do this years ago!

Just checked out another Ford truck forum for comparison.  Wow, there sure is a lot of real estate used for adverts.  And even when you have an adblocker turned on that's wasted space.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, there are lots of advantages to the new approach. One is that it lets me make the pictures on web pages bigger. As an example, check out Page 56, which hasn't been resized to take advantage of the new real estate, with that of Page 57 which has been. Can you see the difference?

The downside is that I have to visit each of those pics and adjust them in the Weebly editor. And, since we don't yet know that this doesn't break something, I'll not do any more than Pg 57 and the whole next section.

But, go look at the wiring diagrams. Zoom in on them and watch while they now fill all of your screen.

I'm a happy camper, so I sure hope y'all don't burst my bubble. But, tell me the truth!

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
My neck hurts now from reading from one side to the other!

I like it. The picture of the tranny looks real good!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Well, you can skip my post in the Suggestions thread...

Everything looks good to me, but can you make the Message (Reply) text box full-width?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Several things.  First, I had email notifications that you two had posted, but when I came to this thread not only did I not find your posts but I didn't find Jonathan's and another couple of mine.  But, after trying a couple of times here they are.  

And, the extra width is great for documentation and pictures, but is also a problem with text as the eye may lose track of which line you are one as you scroll from side to side.  Let's run it this way and see what we think, but I suspect that problem is easily offset by the much larger documentation.

Grumpin - I can't wait to see this on my giant monitors in the shop!  I may have to back up to use them.  

Steve - I can't change the message reply box as it is set by Nabble, the forum outfit.  But I will ask them if they can.  I'd already spotted that.

All - Keep your eyes peeled for any anomalies and let me know, please.  But, all of you should chime in with your thoughts as well.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Looks good to me, quite a shock when I opened the site and it filled my 22" monitor. I like it!
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Last night I was impressed with how much difference it made on this tablet.  Then I fired up my laptop and was stunned!  WOW!

But, I've not made it to the shop with the big monitors.  

Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
screen shot

I'm not sure if it's related, but every time i try to look at this site on my iphone, it always looks like this (only shows left hand side) and doesn't give you the ability to scroll right??? Only way i can ever read anything is by rotating my phone but it would be great if there was a way to address that. Not sure if that's a pixel thing or ?? I think that in the past pictures had this same problem but as of today they size perfectly to my viewing screen.
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Delco - I'll check into it.  Is your experience after the change, meaning today?

Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
The snapshot was from this morning. I was just curious after you mentioned changing pixel count "stuff" (i'm not tech savy ) to see if that made it more usable on my phone. I have no idea why it does that, but it's just this website so i'm assuming its related to the website versus a setting on my phone. Hopefully that doesn't sound like a complaint, always appreciative of someone spending their time to do something so constructive - was just meant as an observation.-Christopher
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary, for what it’s worth, it has always looked that way on my phone. You have to go landscape to see everything. It would be nice if there was a mobile friendly setting or fix, but at least it does work with the phone sideways. A lot of “mobile” view forums are watered down and functionally horrid, so I also say be careful what you wish for... I’m often the first to look for the “view full site” option when there is a mobile format.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Ford F834 wrote
I’m often the first to look for the “view full site” option when there is a mobile format.
I just use the Chrome app, on the rare occasions that I browse from my phone.  It seems to show everything I'm looking for.  I've had to help people deal with the CrapaTalk app on a few forums because it removes so much.