classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Center Cap Identification

Gary Lewis
Administrator
On another thread we've been discussing, among other things, the center caps used on the 5-lug wheels.  And, to me the master parts catalog is quite confusing as it says things that are seemingly in conflict with what I thought was the case.

For instance, in 1980 it has these entries:

E2TZ 1130-C 7 1/8" diameter-chrome w/red center ornament - use on forged alum. 15x6 wheel-rear
D7TZ 1130-L 7 1/8" diameter-black center ornament for styled wheels-front wheels
D7TZ 1130-K 7 1/8" diameter-red center ornament for styled wheels-rear wheels

That would seem to say that these trucks got both black and red center ornaments.  I don't believe that is the case, so I'm asking for you to tell me what the ID #'s are for the center caps you have and what color they are as well as what the color is of the center cap.  And I'll translate your ID #'s to part numbers as I have an ID # to part # cross reference, and we will then understand.

Note: I'm trying to nail down what the situation actually is.  You are welcome to tell me what you think it is, but I'm really looking for #'s.

So I'll go first.  I have:

ID #                PART #                                  COMMENTS
D7TA 1A096-BA   D7TZ 1130-L   Black plastic w/no medallion for front wheels
F0TA 1A097-AA    E2TZ 1130-C  Chrome w/red center medallion

So tell me what ID #'s you have and I'll translate.  The plastic ones have it embossed on the underside, and the chrome ones have a paper tag - that sometimes still has #'s on it.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Center Cap Identification

LARIAT 85
This post was updated on .
The center caps I have on Lucille are chrome with a black circle and red medallion.

Part number:  E2TZ-1130-C

Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Rick.  Yes, those should be just like mine w/the same #.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
I think it is bad wording on Ford's part.  These center cap assemblies are sometimes referred to as "ornaments."  And the center caps are sometimes called "medallions."  

D7TZ 1130-L 7 1/8" diameter-black center ornament for styled wheels-front wheels

I think this one is black where mine is chrome and is open for the front manual hubs to go through.

D7TZ 1130-K 7 1/8" diameter-red center ornament [medallion] for styled wheels-rear wheels

I think this one is also black where mine is chrome and has a red ornament in the center. These were used in the rear wheels to match the front of the 4x4 version where the red manual hubs would go through.

*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, D7TZ 1130-L is black plastic and has an open center, as I reported above.  But I'm wanting someone to confirm that D7TZ 1130-K is black with a red center.  Then, once we have proof I'll annotate the MPC and change the web page.

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
If you look at the wheel options in the 1980 and 1981 literature on this site, that is all it can be.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I agree that's very likely.  Just want to make sure before I modify the catalog.

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
Isn't that what it says in the catalog?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, but it also says "D7TZ 1130-L 7 1/8" diameter-black center ornament for styled wheels-front wheels", and I've just proven that D7TZ-L has no center ornament.  It is logical that it wouldn't have a center medallion if it was for the front wheels, but that's not what it says.

So, I don't believe the catalog and want to know for sure that it is right on the other caps before I start changing.

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
I think it is bad wording on Ford's part.  These center cap assemblies are sometimes referred to as "ornaments."  And the center caps are sometimes called "medallions."

D7TZ 1130-L is *only* listed for the front wheels on a 4/W/D in the catalog.  A 4/W/D vehicle would have had manual hubs in the front.  Therefore, a center cap - or medallion - could not be used.  The manual hub would stick through the black open center "ornament."

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Update & Conclusion: David/1986F150Six provided me with a link to a Rear Counter (the Ford dealer parts outfit) page that says that D7TZ-1130-K is a "HUB CAP - BLACK / RED CENTER PLASTIC (7.125" DIA)". So that proves what Rick was saying.

So here's what the truth appears to be, and I'll update the catalog to reflect it.  (The UPPER CASE ITALICS are mine:

E2TZ 1130-C 7 1/8" diameter-chrome w/red center ornament - use on forged alum. 15x6 wheel-rear
E2TZ 1130-D 7 1/8" diameter-CHROME W/NO ORNAMENT - use on forged alum. 15x6 wheel-w/hole-front
D7TZ 1130-L 7 1/8" diameter-black W/NO center ornament for styled wheels-front wheels
D7TZ 1130-K 7 1/8" diameter-BLACK W/red center ornament for styled wheels-rear wheels

Thanks to David and Rick for the help.

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
E2TZ-1130-C and E2TZ-1130-D was *only* used on the "Deluxe Argent Styled Steel Wheel."

Except for the the 1982/1983 "XLS" model - which used these same wheels but with a black center cap (hub) with a red medallion.

The "White Styled Steel Wheels" used the black center cap (hub) with red medallion.

The "forged alum" wheels were only used in 1980 and 1981, and they used the black center cap (hub) with red medallion.

The odd 1982 - 1984 "cast alum" wheel also used the black center cap (hub) with red medallion.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Rick - Thanks.  But where'd you find that stuff?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Rick - Turns out some of what you mentioned might be in the MPC.  After updating my version of the catalog as explained above I was perusing it and came to the realization that it says different things different places about what center cap was used.

Anyway, instead of taking screen shots of the new catalog entries I extracted the 32 pages for the wheel covers from the catalog and embedded them on the Driveline/Wheel Covers page.  And, while I was at it I played with saving the cross-reference table in HTML and embedding it.  Take a look, please.

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Most of it I learned while researching wheels for Lucille.  

Lucille came to me with aftermarket wheels, but I really wanted to replace them with OEM Ford wheels for my restoration.  I was taking into consideration *all* of the 1980 - 1996 wheels, covers, and ornaments.  I almost went with the 1995/1996 aluminum wheels with holes/no rivets paired with a chrome hub with a red medallion, but decided that style was just too common.  

So then I thought that since Lucille was a "Lariat," why not go with the most elaborate wheel combination Ford offered at the time?  The "Deluxe Argent Styled Steel Wheel" with a chrome hub and the aluminum beauty ring with red stripes certainly looked the part, and were much more unique.  I am very happy I went with this style, not only because these are period correct for my 1985 F150, but also because people seem to really like them on my truck.  The only change I made was, I went with the wider 8" wheel that was originally offered in 1990 and 1991 for the 4x4 trucks with the 31" tire option.  

The rest I found out from looking through the literature on *your* website, Chief!  

Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
I like that combination Lariat 85. My truck has 8" aluminum Ultra wheels that look like the ford 10 hole wheels. I wish the center caps would fit but they don't.
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 AOD
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN