classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Carter YF vs YFA, if planning to do Duraspark conversion down the road

TheGeneral
Hi there everybody!  

My rebuilt Carter feedback carb is...not ok, and may or may not be rebuildable.  It's just spitting raw fuel straight into the engine.  Question is,

Can I get away with installing a non-feedback carb WITH all my current feedback stuff, UNTIL I do a Duraspark conversion?  Like, maybe a week or two?  

Every time I have the $$ for the DS I end up spending it on....well, everything but that haha.  New radiator, rebuilt rear end, rebuilt front end, then the timing gear busted....

But I may have already ruined my new cats, that's how bad the carb is running.  Trying to order a carb today so we can pull mine.  

Cheers

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Carter YF vs YFA, if planning to do Duraspark conversion down the road

1986F150Six
Administrator
If all the feedback system is not intact [i.e. non-feedback carburetor] the timing will be locked by the computer at the static timing. It will run, but not well.
Reply | Threaded
|

steevzee
In reply to this post by TheGeneral
The throttle position sensor on the YFA-1V feedback is necessary for spark advance in the EEC system. The TFI distributor does not have a centrifugal advance mechanism for this, so your truck would be stuck running on "base timing". It will get you home, though.
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGeneral
I do have all my feedback equipment.  I should just wait.