Carburetor/Throttle Help

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
45 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Carburetor/Throttle Help

Cudal82
I have a 1982 F-250 5.8 with a Holley Carb. list no. 80179. It also has the numbers 3499 stamped on the air horn. There is not a lot of information about this carberator online, but it seems to be a discontinued model and a replacement for the varible venturi carburetor. About a week ago it started dripping gas from the accelator pump and I figured it was time for a rebuild or for a new carberator. I opted for the rebuild in order to save money (and to ensure that I did not buy the wrong carb.!) I had some trouble with my rebuild, but thanks to this forum and others I got some of my problems solved (fuel was spraying out of the bowl vents- a needle issue it seems). The problem I am having now is that the truck has a higher idle and I can't turn it down. I did adjust the idle screw on the carb. After much trial and error, it seems to me as if my throttle cable is either out of adjustment or in need of replacement. I doesn't seem to be binding on anything. Can the throttle/accelerator cable be adjusted? Am I on the right track?

I did buy a Haynes manual, but it was no help.
Shaun

1982 F-250 Explorer
5.8l
AT 2wd
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Carburetor/Throttle Help

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I would have said that your secondaries needed to be closed down, but since this is a 2300 two barrel I'm going to page Dr. Vose to this thread.  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Have you tried to get it to idle with the cable popped off the ball?

That would isolate it to the carb itself or the cable length/adjustment.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cudal82
Funny, I hadn’t thought of that. After this storm blow over I will check that out.

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 2, 2019, at 5:01 PM, ArdWrknTrk [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Have you tried to get it to idle with the cable popped off the ball?

That would isolate it to the carb itself or the cable length/adjustment.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with an Edelbrock 1826 and Performer intake.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Carburetor-Throttle-Help-tp30872p30879.html
To unsubscribe from Carburetor/Throttle Help, click here.
NAML
Shaun

1982 F-250 Explorer
5.8l
AT 2wd
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Bill Voss is our master carburetor mechanic.
He ran Preston Carburetor for years and has an encyclopedic memory.

Seems he's not at the courtesy desk at the moment though.....

I'm sure he will hit this thread with answers as soon as he sees it.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Could be a vacuum leak.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Very well could!  
And easy enough to find by spraying around the carb base with carburetor cleaner or some other flammable spray like Lysol.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Cudal82
In reply to this post by Cudal82
It will idle with or without the ball connected, but it has a lower idle when connected. It won't return to idle when disconnected. It is almost like something is binding, but I do not see where it would be binding. I took the carburetor off yesterday and it doesn't seem to bind at all when it is off of the engine.
Shaun

1982 F-250 Explorer
5.8l
AT 2wd
Reply | Threaded
|

Cudal82
We have a pretty steady rain here tonight, but if I get a chance I will try checking for a vacuum leak.
Shaun

1982 F-250 Explorer
5.8l
AT 2wd
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Cudal82 wrote
It will idle with or without the ball connected, but it has a lower idle when connected. It won't return to idle when disconnected.
That's very weird, and sounds like it could be another symptom of your problem.

Are you sure you got the springs back in the right place when you reassembled it?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Cudal82
I am not 100% sure about the springs, but I removed the spring that is almost directly below the throttle cable connection. The idle was through the roof with it in place, but it was, when connected, exactly where it was before I began the project. 

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 2, 2019, at 9:04 PM, ArdWrknTrk [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Cudal82 wrote
It will idle with or without the ball connected, but it has a lower idle when connected. It won't return to idle when disconnected.
That's very weird, and sounds like it could be another symptom of your problem.

Are you sure you got the springs back in the right place when you reassembled it?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with an Edelbrock 1826 and Performer intake.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Carburetor-Throttle-Help-tp30872p30921.html
To unsubscribe from Carburetor/Throttle Help, click here.
NAML
Shaun

1982 F-250 Explorer
5.8l
AT 2wd
Reply | Threaded
|

Cudal82
So, I checked for vacuum leaks with carb cleaner. I did notice some varation in idle when I sprayed on the choke side of the carburetor, but I can't see where it would be leaking from. The only thing I can think of is the wedge and gasket. Should there be a gasket on both sides of the wedge? My kit only came with one. Would this effect my idle?
Shaun

1982 F-250 Explorer
5.8l
AT 2wd
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The fact that the idle changes says you have a vacuum leak, and that will raise idle speeds so must be addressed.

But, I don't know what you mean by "the wedge".  Do you mean 9A589 in this illustration?  If so that's the spacer and yes you must have a gasket both sides or it'll leak.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Ok, one concern I have after reading this, since that carburetor is a replacement for the VV carburetor, it should be a new enough design to have a return spring on the throttle shaft, it will be what is called a torsion spring, meaning it is a "twisting" style like a clothespin spring. The spacer or as you called it wedge, probably had an EGR valve on it, if it did and is aluminum those are known to burn through from the exhaust gases.

You say that with the cable disconnected the throttle wants to stick, does it do it with the carburetor off the engine? If not, then something in the "stack" (plate to manifold, plate and plate to carburetor) is not flat. One item I have run into many times, the carburetor mounting gasket (top one under the carburetor) is usually a thick insulating gasket, many of the aftermarket ones in rebuild kits lack the hard spacers around the bolts which are put there so the gasket will only compress enough to seal, without them the corners will compress too far resulting in the throttle body warping and binding the throttle shaft.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Cudal82
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary- Yes, I am referring to the spacer (9A589). It did not look great when I pulled off the carburetor and it clearly had a gasket on both sides. However, since my kit only came with one gasket, I was hoping for the best. I can't say that I am surprised that this is an issue.

Bill- the carb. does indeed have a tension spring and it woks fine off the engine. This has been the place where I have really been stuck. I took the carburetor off the engine twice trying to figure this out- it had not occured to me that something so seemingly subtle could make it 'bind' as it were. The gasket is fine, it has four corners, but the spacer could be an issue as to why it isn't laying down flat.

Thanks, gentlemen, I will be away this week, but I am going to order a new spacer and gasket and give it another shot next weekend.

Shaun

1982 F-250 Explorer
5.8l
AT 2wd
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
It's unlikely you need a new spacer.
Put a sheet of coarse wet-or-dry paper on a flat surface (like a countertop) and move the spacer around in a figure-8 pattern.

Both sides, and the carb base too.

You will see right away if it's not rubbing somewhere.
If there's a big hole in the spacer by the EGR port, than yeah get a new one if you can't weld.

If the carb ears are bent down, then you need to either keep going with the sandpaper or use a little sealant on re-assembly. (Not exactly 'proper practice' but it will fix the leak.)

Start with getting the right *9447 EGR spacer base gasket.
Show them the above picture if you get a counter person who has never seen a carburetor before.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I agree with Jim.  The sandpaper approach works well to level things, and shows where the high spots are very quickly.  You need all of those surfaces to be FLAT.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Show them the above picture if you get a counter person who has never seen a carburetor before.
Harking back to what I said about the march of technology, I realize that my truck was the very last implementation of a carburetor in the United States.

And at 32 years old it's unlikely that anyone under 42 would remember it as it was sold.

I have to remind myself whenever I try to buy something like points that the person selling it to me never lived in a world where they existed.

(Sorry for the hijack)
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good point!  I'll think about that next time I'm in the parts store.

But what are you buying points for?  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Two strokes, Gravely's, .... stuff

B&S and Volkswagen can always be converted over, most Kolhers too.

But outboards, dirt bikes, BSA's: some things just need points.

BTW, how about an old man shaking fist at clouds emoji????
I think FTE had something like that.
 Jim,