classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
45 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Carburetor/Throttle Help

85lebaront2
Administrator
Jim, if the EGR went through the spacer, they erode badly to the point of warping and leaking. Ford started supplying cast iron ones as service parts, we kept a 2 and 4 barrel on the shelf at Preston.

Make sure there are no small pieces of gasket adhering to any of the surfaces and do not use any kind of sealer under the carburetor.

On points, I have a 1970s vintage Poulon Super 25D chainsaw, I tried a breakerless conversion on it, no go, so I have a spare set of points in my toolbox for it. It is old enough to not have a priming bulb and you just have to keep pulling it with the choke closed until it fires, once you get that it will start and run fine.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well the sandpaper should take care of any gasket residue.
And it will show erosion.

I can't say I've seen an aluminium EGR spacer on a Ford.
Maybe aftermarket, but the factory iron ones don't seem too bad.

I think better to examine than to just throw parts at it.
(Had this convo with Matthew the other day)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Ahhh!  Yes, those would take points.

As for the old man shaking fist at clouds emoji, I didn't find anything that seems to fit that description on FTE.  And I didn't find something in my searches.  So, can you point me to one?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Cudal82
What material is the spacer supposed to be made of? Mine is not metal and the EGR does not run through it, unless I am really missing something.

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 7, 2019, at 6:43 PM, Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ahhh!  Yes, those would take points.

As for the old man shaking fist at clouds emoji, I didn't find anything that seems to fit that description on FTE.  And I didn't find something in my searches.  So, can you point me to one?
Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker in front & 10.25 Spicer/Trutrac in bac, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Carburetor-Throttle-Help-tp30872p31519.html
To unsubscribe from Carburetor/Throttle Help, click here.
NAML
Shaun

1982 F-250 Explorer
5.8l
AT 2wd
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think you need to post a pic of that spacer.

Assuming that your truck is a 2bbl, the original spacer should have been cast iron or aluminum.  And there would have been an EGR valve hanging off the back of it.  So if yours isn't metal then I don't think it is original.

As for the exhaust gas, it comes in via the intake manifold, up into the spacer, and then into the air/fuel mix.  Perhaps someone put a spacer on that blocks the EGR port in the intake manifold?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Post a pic of the intake manifold surface that mates the spacer as well.

I've never seen a phenolic spacer from the factory.
If you have an aftermarket intake without EGR, then all this talk is redundant.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Jim, I have seen factory phenolic spacers, not on the trucks, but on cars, I believe it was on my 1970 and 1971 429 engines, roughly 3/8" thick and the PCV system came in the back and went around through channels molded into the spacer so it fed the fumes into both primary throttle bores.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You've seen a LOT of carburetors Bill.

I'm talking about the truck this thread is about.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
We don't know the history of his truck, since it originally had a VV on it, it may be a 351M.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
But he says it's phenolic and the EGR doesn't run through it.

M or W, it doesn't sound like a stock '82 intake.

If he posts a pic we can all see what's up.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Cudal82

I finally had a chance to get to the truck today. Here are some pictures.
Shaun

1982 F-250 Explorer
5.8l
AT 2wd
Reply | Threaded
|

Cudal82

And pictures of the carburetor.
Shaun

1982 F-250 Explorer
5.8l
AT 2wd
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Cudal82
EGR appears to in the manifold itself.
There are no passages in the spacer  to erode or leak.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Shaun,

The carburetor base appears flat and should seal
Rubbing it on a flat surface with a sheet of 180-220 grit carbide (black) wet-or-dry paper will highlight any warpage.

Just take your time, and don't rock the carb at all, if you can help it.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Jim, Shaun, the vacuum passages in the throttle body may be coming outside the strange intake mounting area. This may result in the carburetor not sealing properly. The other item, the mounting gasket does not appear to have the hard reinforcements around the mounting holes. My suggestion would be to find an aluminum adapter like was used to mount a Holley pattern carburetor on a GM or Chrysler manifold, or vice versa. Use it and two thinner gaskets, if the adapter has one side solid and one with it fairly open, put the solid side down.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Bill,
Isn't the phenolic spacer used to isolate the carburetor from the heat of the intake manifold?

It's got to be hot if the EGR gases are flowing through it, no?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
If the phenolic spacer isn't warped, then yes, but it will still need a pair of gaskets, one under and one over. They need to be reasonably hard so they won't compress too much. The spacer may have some uneven areas as the VV base is different that the Holley base.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

BeagleRock
Hello; My name is Randy and I have the exact intake but a motocraft 2150 carb. Having vacuum leak and idle problems too. Did you get your's resolved and if so what was the solution?
 Best regards Randy
Beaglerock/83f150 351W C6 Transmission 2 wheel drive.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cudal82
Hi Randy,

I am 99% sure that my issue was an amateur carburetor rebuild job. I took my carburetor to a professional and had it rebuilt properly- it needed it! Unfortunately, at some point in all the carburetor work I lost spark and haven’t been able to fix that issue. Make sure you have the right gaskets and take your time. Keep asking around on this site- the guys here are extremely helpful. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Shaun

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 6, 2019, at 7:55 PM, BeagleRock [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello; My name is Randy and I have the exact intake but a motocraft 2150 carb. Having vacuum leak and idle problems too. Did you get your's resolved and if so what was the solution?
 Best regards Randy
Beaglerock/83f150 351W

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Carburetor-Throttle-Help-tp30872p45169.html
To unsubscribe from Carburetor/Throttle Help, click here.
NAML
Shaun

1982 F-250 Explorer
5.8l
AT 2wd
Reply | Threaded
|

BeagleRock
Sorry its taken me so long to get back to you as I've been extremely sick for too long.
 As far as rebuilding carburetor I've done that twice + ordered a remanufactured one so I'm going to rule out the carburetor on mine. I think mine could be the phenolic spacer and or the carburetor base being somewhat uneven/warped. I'm still a little sick and don't want to work on it as  the temperature is in the low 40s and dropping + it's misting. Anyway sorry to hear about the spark problem. I installed a cheap HEI distributor on mine and connected it to the white wire that powered the EECIII brown grommet ignition box. It seems to work well but is a bit tight if you have factory A/C.
 Good luck on finding the spark problem and hit me up if I can help as I would be looking at the same set up as your's. Seems as though 82-83 had some rarities aka the intake manifold itself! + crappy carbs.  
 Best regards Randy
Beaglerock/83f150 351W C6 Transmission 2 wheel drive.