classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Carburetor Ball Throttle Linkage Question

Quarterwave
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping for some help with an Edelbrock AVS2 carburetor that I have on my 351 Windsor.

A mechanic that I had to use did not use a ball end connector for the throttle linkage and the pack of replacements that I bought from Jegs don't seem to fit any of the holes.

At the moment, I'm using a bolt with some washers through the large, brass colored hole as a stop gap.

When I look at the linkage itself, one of the smaller sized ball ends fits best.

What am I missing?

Pics for reference:

Any help is appreciated in advance.

Thanks.
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
351 H.O Windsor, aluminum heads
Cam: Lift = .496''/.520'' Duration @ .050: 224°/234°
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
33x12.5x15 BF Goodrich All-Terrains
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Carburetor Ball Throttle Linkage Question

85lebaront2
Administrator
Two things, you are missing the floating lever for the downshift rod (large rod with a plastic insert in the end) the other after you remove the little black piece attached to the downshift rod is to take one of the balls the throttle cable snaps onto tightly and install it in place of the bolt.

In my opinion he wasn't a mechanic, more of a parts changer. When I had my shop if one of my guys had done that he would have been looking for work very quickly.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Quarterwave
Thanks 85lebaont2 - I actually just got off the phone with Edelbrock and they pointed me in the direction of a throttle adapter kit and a kickdown rod extension, so I'll get those as soon as I can.

Hopefully they will do the trick.

Question - do you have any good mechanic contacts in South FL? I do a lot of work myself, but sometimes I just don't have the space or equipment to do the bigger jobs like taking out engines etc... which I'll need to do soon on this truck.
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
This post was updated on .
85lebaront2 is right.  Somebody apparently didn't know what they were doing when they set that up.

Your carburetor is missing the correct Ford kickdown linkage to connect the kickdown rod to. Currently, your kickdown rod is loose and in the wrong location.  The throttle lever ball stud is supposed to fit in the upper hole where that black bracket currently is. And the kickdown rod supposed to fit snug on the back of the Ford kickdown linkage, which would be located behind the throttle lever.  

You have a carburetor made for a manual transmission.  A kickdown rod extension is made to bolt to the kickdown rod to make it long enough to reach the kickdown linkage if you are running a 4-barrel carburetor, which is mounted further to the front of the vehicle than a 2-barrel carburetor.

It should become clear once you have the adapter kit.

Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Quarterwave
Unfortunately I really have no contacts in South Florida so I can't help you there. Maybe look at the members map and see if anyone is near you. You must have had the same clown that worked on Big Blue before Gary bought her.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
To add to that, there are apparently no mechanics near Panama City.  Several "professionals" had laid hands on BB, and I spent many, many days making most things right.  But I still have to pull the engine to fix the oil leaks.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Quarterwave
Yeah, it's really disappointing.

I try to do as much as I can but sometimes when time is short or I just don't have the space and equipment to do a job, I need to farm the work out, otherwise things just wouldn't get done.

... and I'm often disappointed with the quality of work. Not to mention, the locals that like to take my truck for a "test ride" to see if everything is working correctly.

Ticks me off.

I'm with you re the engine pull - I've noticed a knock in the passenger side of my 351W, and are dreading the diagnosis of either a rod bearing or one of the mains. I don't recall it doing it until this weekend and I haven't driven the truck in a couple of weeks due to the interior being out of it, so I'm not sure WTH happened.

I may start a new thread to discuss building a bottom end to take up to 650 hp - but I need to read up on these engines more before I do.
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
15x10" Pro Comp Rims